Curious..are u really into Elegant night?

Kato27

I love having the option to "choose" and not feel out of place either way. There are times we dress to the 9's and others it is nice slacks and button up shirt for hubby and sundress for me. Either way for Elegant night is fine and you will see both.

When I say the 9's I mean all out - full-length gown for me and a full formal head to toe Kilt ensemble with Prince Charles Tuxedo Jacket and Vest for Hubby and those aren't something you can just wear anywhere - but Formal Night on the Cruise works

My DW hates, hates, hates, it myself I love it. In fact my last cruise I rented a tux from the cruise line. However on my next cruise my DW has asked me to dress down. So I will not be wearing a tux :(, I will be wearing slacks, button down, with blazer, and no tie (open neck).

Going on my 33rd Carnival cruise this w/e. Been there, done that. Will be wearing dockers and a collared shirt for elegant nights.

The last time I wore my Tux was on Celebrity. I have a photo of me in my tux in front of a slot machine and I'm fanning out the $2,500 in hundreds that I just won.......hmmmm, maybe next Celebrity cruise I'll get dressed up again.

I used to be more "into" it, but as time has gone by, I am less into it.

Last two cruises, I skipped one of the two elegant nights, and went to lido instead. It has to do with checking baggage on airlines that take me to the cruise port. I now pack much less than before, and one cruise elegant outfit is more than enough for me. I could wear it twice I suppose, but ; me being me, means that I will usually if not always drop a bit of gravy, soup, or sauce from my fork, spoon onto my clothes....LOL. One cruise elegant outfit, that is it.

I do however feel that Carnival's guidelines for dress on cruise elegant night is pretty informal, so it is not difficult to adhere to.

But as always, I believe that we all have a choice, either dress up a bit or a lot for elegant night, or not, and if not, then lido is always an option on those nights.

I`m just curious to see how many people actully enjoy having to dress up for dinner on elegant night while on a cruise.

I did dress up on my first cruise last summer for both nights. I

will do it again this time around also.

But...if i had the choice i would much rather not have to,i wear enough suits while i`m not on vacation.

While on vacation i would prefer to just be able to dress casual, so i could do without it.

What about u? Enjoy it, or could u do without elegant night?

I understand that u can just eat at the buffet if u wanted to, but let`s say that`s not an option.:)

It's one of our favorite parts of cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No matter which line we are sailing on, we always do it "Formal".

For a seven night or longer cruise, I will bring a black Tux, and a White Dinner Jacket.

For shorter cruises, usually just the Dinner Jacket.

Always black tux pants and patent leather shoes.

DW will bring 2 nice floor length dresses.

On Carnival, we are usually the lone couple, RCCL, a few, Princess still does formal.

We play it up. I get plenty of smiles and winks, and so does DW.

At the roulette table we think of ourselves as "Bond and Moneypenny".

We really do not care what everyone else wears.

If we do ATD on Carnival, we get lots of compliments at the table, and see lots of men getting an elbow from their partners!

We always dress up on the elegant nights, regardless if there are two, three or four of them (depending on a length of the cruise). We don't really go out very often while at home and even if, it would be just a casual dinner or drinks, so no dressing up.

That's why we do enjoy dressing up while on the cruise. To me personally as a woman, it's also a case of wearing heels. At home we would need to get a taxi, as I wouldn't be able to walk too far etc. On the ship it's all easy, not that far to walk anywhere and if you get tired, your cabin is nearby, you can just change your shoes anytime you want.

I would rather not, with the luggage restrictions etc, it costs a fortune on some airlines to bring more bags. I seriously consider going to Lido on formal nights, but usually I throw in a casual dress for myself and dockers and button shirt/tie for DH. Because I have to. The alternative, go to Lido.

I would rather not, with the luggage restrictions etc, it costs a fortune on some airlines to bring more bags. I seriously consider going to Lido on formal nights, but usually I throw in a casual dress for myself and dockers and button shirt/tie for DH. Because I have to. The alternative, go to Lido.

That is very appropriate for elegant night. Go to MDR

We don't get the chance to break out the formal wear very often, so when we cruise I like to wear my Tux, especially since my wife always looks so great in her gowns. If I was still wearing suits for work every day I might feel differently, but since the work place has gone to business casual, or in the case of my office jeans and a polo, it's fun to dress up a couple of evenings.

We like to dress up on elegant the nights, too. I, like others have said, like to wear sundresses or dress slacks and a nice blouse on other nights (husband wears dress slacks and dress shirts, tie and jacket on elegant nights). I'll add that my husband enjoys dressing up as much as I do! What others wear to dinner on a cruise does not matter to me in the least.

When I first started cruising (mid eighties) dressing up every night was the norm for everyone, no dressing down in the dining room at all. My thought is that many long-time cruisers still like to dress up, just because that's the way it was back in the "old days"...... that's my 2 cents worth.