Barcelona PICKPOCKET alert May 2012

I think you are missing the point here. Pickpocketing is a specific problem and Barcelona is rightfully known as one of the worst for this problem. This is a travel website and people traveling there need to be aware of it. All the beautiful attractions aside, travelers still need to know what specific problems plague the specific place they are visiting. No one is saying don't go to Barcelona. No one is saying the place isn't beautiful. We are just highlighting an issue that can, and very well does, cause a major inconvenience to many tourists there.

Good point! I was perhaps over reacting to posters saying that it happens everywhere. Maybe it does occasionally in some places but not to the degree that it happens in Barcelona (Rome and Rio).

CruisingJoe: Yeah -- kind of a harsh statement. Guess I've just seen to much and heard a lot from people who have been targeted. A woman at the airport last December was in tears over having something stolen in Barcelona. She goes there twice a year on business and does not want to return.

Not sure why posters want to argue the point that some cities have crime problems instead of trying to learn what to do in order not to be a target. It isn't that difficult to make yourself safe.

One does not need a lock to avoid pickpockets. I think it's overkill (and you're setting yourself up for worry and anxiety by even needing to consider it ;) ) Seriously, a bag worn securely (like a messenger bag), awareness of your surroundings, and not carrying anything in your pockets unless they're zipped is usually enough.

I disagree that it's enough. I am an experienced traveler, not one that looks or acts like a confused tourist. I walk purposefully, look at my surroundings, etc. I've been to Europe many times. Yet I was relieved of my wallet in Barcelona a few years back -- out of a zipped messenger-bag type purse that was under my arm, and I didn't feel a thing.

Why not take the precaution of securing your belongings (as I now do if visiting somewhere like Barcelona) so that you don't have to spend a minute worrying about it? I now use a "secret pocket" attached inside my pants for anything of value (any cash or credit card I might need for the day), and I don't take anything with me that I don't need (extra cash, cc, passport, etc).

Good point! I was perhaps over reacting to posters saying that it happens everywhere. Maybe it does occasionally in some places but not to the degree that it happens in Barcelona (Rome and Rio).

CruisingJoe: Yeah -- kind of a harsh statement. Guess I've just seen to much and heard a lot from people who have been targeted. A woman at the airport last December was in tears over having something stolen in Barcelona. She goes there twice a year on business and does not want to return.

Not sure why posters want to argue the point that some cities have crime problems instead of trying to learn what to do in order not to be a target. It isn't that difficult to make yourself safe.

Exactly

I disagree that it's enough. I am an experienced traveler, not one that looks or acts like a confused tourist. I walk purposefully, look at my surroundings, etc. I've been to Europe many times. Yet I was relieved of my wallet in Barcelona a few years back -- out of a zipped messenger-bag type purse that was under my arm, and I didn't feel a thing.

Yup, **** happens and I'm sorry it happened to you, which is why I said it's USUALLY enough. I just don't spend a lot of time or worry wrapping myself in bubble wrap to protect me from every eventuality. I spend my time and energy on the positive and exciting things about my vacation and accept that unfortunate things happen sometimes.......I plan to minimize them, knowing and accepting that I can't eliminate them.

If you can't enjoy your vacation without believing you've taken every known precaution against pickpockets, then that's what it takes for you to enjoy your vacation. For me, that kind of worry puts me in a negative mindset and I don't enjoy my vacation because I'm constantly worried and suspicious of those around me. A chaucon son gout.

If you can't enjoy your vacation without believing you've taken every known precaution against pickpockets, then that's what it takes for you to enjoy your vacation. For me, that kind of worry puts me in a negative mindset and I don't enjoy my vacation because I'm constantly worried and suspicious of those around me. A chaucon son gout.

As you say, we are all different. I travel enough that it has become second nature to take these precautions and certainly doesn't affect my mindset. Instead, it frees me from worry and allows me to truly enjoy the sites and the experience rather than worrying if my valuables are secure.

From what I see of brain-dead tourons coming off cruise ships daily here in Key West, I can confidently say that a change in mindset is exactly what a lot of people need when traveling. Otherwise, they are what I affectionately call voluntary victims.

From what I see of brain-dead tourons coming off cruise ships daily here in Key West, I can confidently say that a change in mindset is exactly what a lot of people need when traveling. Otherwise, they are what I affectionately call voluntary victims.

Good point! I used to see the same thing on the subway when I lived in NYC!

When you are on vacation you don't want to worry, so think of your precautions as prep, the same way you might put on sunscreen before you go outside for a day when it's sunny. If you do all your prep work up front, then you won't HAVE to worry! I consider it common sense: know what the things you'll have to prepare for in the location you're at. Rome, Rio, Barcelona - it's pickpockets. NYC it's vendors selling knock-off goods that fall apart when you get home, snatch-and-grab thieves on the subway, and ticket sellers outside Radio City and Beacon who grab your money and run without turning over the tickets.

By using a PacSafe bag and RFID-blocking credit card holder, and being careful and aware of my surroundings, I've never had a problem. And those precautions do not interfer one bit with my enjoyment! I'd never miss Rome (been there 7 times), just went to Barcelona and loved it, have fought the crowds at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, the Vucceria in Palermo and the Khan el Kahlili in Cairo.

Americans (both Canadians and U.S. residents) are perceived by much of the rest of the world as being "richer" than they are. Maybe we are, maybe we aren't but that's the perception. By being careful we can avoid being victims and still enjoy our travels!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a pic of a common scam by a group. These folks were all involved. When others joined in to play, these players broke off. The guy on the right in the blue shirt was the guy I watched pickpocket another person.

2052437070080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

They did NOT like having their picture taken:

2928179610080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

We were in Barcelona last Friday and Saturday before our Med cruise, and I saw these very people on the Rambla near the market! Thanks for posting the picture.

As for pickpockets, I did not witness anyone being pickpocketed. We never felt unsafe, but we tried to be smart... we used a hidden pocket for our passports and spare credit cards, and I wore my purse across my body, with zippers closed and against my body.

As many have said, Barcelona is a beautiful city, and it would be a shame to not enjoy it because of fear of pickpockets. Just be smart and aware of your surroundings (especially in crowded areas), and you'll be fine.

Agreed! I work in law enforcement. When I saw the pickpocketing and the street scams ocurring on the La Rambla, I knew exactly what needed to be done. All it would take is a few plain clothes officers targeting the thieves. Make an example out of a few, spread the word, enhance the penalties targeting tourists, and after long, Barcelona will no longer be known as the world leader in pickpockets.

another smart thing might be for the cruiselines to merely "suggest":rolleyes: that they are thinking of dropping Barcelona as a port.

Plenty of other fabulous amazing ports to see in the Med and embarking and debarking elsewhere is fine with me.

Before anyone starts singing the glories of Barca...I am debarking there and staying 2 nights...it will be my 3rd time there...and no, I do not think it is the greatest spot on the face of the Earth...Rome holds that spot....but I am willing to stay 2 nights and give it one more shot.:D

We were in Barcelona last Friday and Saturday before our Med cruise, and I saw these very people on the Rambla near the market! Thanks for posting the picture.

As for pickpockets, I did not witness anyone being pickpocketed. We never felt unsafe, but we tried to be smart... we used a hidden pocket for our passports and spare credit cards, and I wore my purse across my body, with zippers closed and against my body.

As many have said, Barcelona is a beautiful city, and it would be a shame to not enjoy it because of fear of pickpockets. Just be smart and aware of your surroundings (especially in crowded areas), and you'll be fine.

FWIW..I also pin my purse zippers...and DH pins his zippered inside his pants belt loop nylon wallet as well.

Archived