Royal Kicked Us Off!!!

OP...I am so sorry for this all happening to you. You are making lemons into lemonade, and I wish you and the girls the best vacation ever.

We just got off the Freedom. Initially when DD made the reservation directly with RC on the phone, she and her DH and two girls (3 & 7) were all in one outside cabin. After my husband and I decided also to go, we decided to go with Promenade View inside cabins and DD splurged on two adjoining cabins for her family and we had a third cabin next door. When the RC agent added the second cabin to her initial res. she put the two little girls names in the new cabin. When the res. were all turned over to my TA she said it was a mess...I know it sounds easy enough to just have one parent switch, but until the door adjoining the cabins is opened (which it was not when we boarded) the room keys are an issue. I am surprised that even though the cabins are adjoining that the computer system allowed the RC agent to put two very little children in their own cabin...

The computer allowed the agent to put the little children in their own room because that is RCI's policy. As long as the parents cabin is next to or across from the kids cabin then there is no problem. It's not a mess it's how a lot of people book, kids in once cabin, parents in another

Exactly, Cruisin Kay was not trying to pull a fast one one the cruiseline. She contacted the cruiseline to book this cruise and was upfront with what she was trying to do. The rep she dealt with messed up when they input one birthdate incorrectly, though I wonder if the rep had to in order to actually book this cruise. Once the error was found, the situation should have been elevated to someone who had the authority to fix the problem. All parties could have been moved to the two JS, at no extra cost to the OP, that were available at the time the OP contacted the cruiseline or an exception could have been made to allow them to keep their original cabins. We aren't talking a bunch of frat kids, we are talking about a group of supervised, HS graduates who were offered a wonderful trip by a caring set of grandparents.

Hopefully, the cruiseline decides to make this right. It is too late to do anything about the originally planned cruise but they still have an opportunity to make it up to these girls.

To the OP, have a wonderful time in Daytona and I hope you will be able to come back from your vacation to a refund from RCL and more.:)

This is what I still don't understand.

1. Why didn't Royal didn't catch this and notify the OP? The OP had to uncover this issue? Unacceptable. That's sloppy on Royal's end.

2. Once it came to light, why didn't Royal fix it? Don't tell me it was too late and that nothing could be done. Seems like they didn't even attempt to try. I would have been willing to cut them some slack if it at least looked like they worked hard to try to resolve it.

3. Would they really have left them stranded at the pier or would it have forced Royal's hand to either relax the rule and allow them to cruise as it was currently booked or move them to suites somehow someway? Can you imagine if they had airline tickets, pre cruise hotels booked? What a financial disaster. Would trip insurance even cover a situation like this?

OP I really wish you could have taken this cruise with the girls. What a nice gift it was supposed to be for them. No good deed goes unpunished I guess. Royal needs to get their act together.

Well, that's no longer true, then. From any ship leaving from the US or sailing in US waters, you must be 21 or older to consume alcohol. (btw - beer and wine contain alcohol. Perhaps you meant hard liquor? :D)

Two hole punches = under 18 years of age

One hole punch = under 21 years of age (can gamble, can't drink)

No hole punches = 21 years of age or older

I know this is now the case but was wondering when this policy changed. I went on my first cruise at the age of 18 in 2004 and was able to drink (I think just beer and wine but can't recall).

Also do parents have to have their children in a connecting stateroom or can they be in a stateroom next door or across/down the hall? I was a few cabins down from my parents with my 16 year old brother on that 2004 cruise.

To the OP, I hope you get this resolved!

Twice cruise Michael.....Son of OP and father of the granddaughter :)

Welcome to CC and congrats on a well written first post here on cc.

Its not very often we see someone with a first post who doesn't come out of gate screaming and ranting about something. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting....keep us posted!!

Twice cruise Michael.....Son of OP and father of the granddaughter :)

Welcome to CC and congrats on a well written first post here on cc.

Its not very often we see someone with a first post who doesn't come out of gate screaming and ranting about something. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting....keep us posted!!

That family comes across as just the type of people that a company like RCI should be grateful to have as customers. I certainly think that I would enjoy sharing a ship with them.

After reading this entire thread, I have concluded that RCI, like any other company, will tolerate any incompetence on behalf of its Customer Service department or any of its employees if it does not adversely affect it's bottom line. If cruise ships continue to embark with full capacity, if airlines fill every seat, if McDonalds sells its 3 hundreth quatrillion burger, nothing will change.

The only solution that is practical is that when anyone is treated poorly by a company, whether real or perceived, that one should refrain from doing business with that company. Fortunately, whether it be cruiselines, airlines or hamburger joints, we are fortunate enough to have alternatives.

I thank the OP for posting, and am truly sorry for her and her family and friends' ordeal in this matter. I hope they have a wonderful vacation.

Remember, Caveat Emptor.

I don't believe that Royal is in the business of trying to piss people off as many here try to make it out to be. Actually truth be told Royal spends a lot more money than many other cruise lines when it comes to customer service and doesn't just look at nothing but how it's going to effect it's bottom line as many here will make you want to believe. All companies unfortunately have break-downs with-in their organizations from time to time...people are only human. Many posts you read here on CC like to accentuate those break-downs much more than compliment the good things....that is just how most public boards seem to be. The break-down was realized late in the game....that was unfortunate and in a perfect world it should have been prevented to begin with...however things aren't always perfect. The mistake did however get realized before things got even worse and the OP is getting a full refund. Large companies aren't always good when things break down as no one person you will get on the phone has the ultimate power to make all decisions and make things right....it is a chain of command that it passes through. As frustrating as it is I don't see what Royal could have done to be able to make this situation work and all of you sail.....it was against their policy and the reservation shouldn't have been taken to begin with....yes...that is where Royal went wrong. Posting that 'ROYAL KICKED US OFF" wasn't probably the best way to approach things....you were never on the ship so you were never kicked off the ship.

To the OP.....In a situation like this....it always seems that you will get much further by trying to take a deep breath and send off a letter or e-mail to corporate. They do take these things seriously and do try to make things right.....it's much easier and cheaper to keep a customer...and Royal knows that. You have sailed many times with them and I am sure they will look at that very favorable...I suggest if you haven't already...forget the phone game and send a letter right up to the top explaining what occurred in a very calm and factual way...I think you that will get you a much more satisfactory response to this situation.

I know this is now the case but was wondering when this policy changed. I went on my first cruise at the age of 18 in 2004 and was able to drink (I think just beer and wine but can't recall).

Also do parents have to have their children in a connecting stateroom or can they be in a stateroom next door or across/down the hall? I was a few cabins down from my parents with my 16 year old brother on that 2004 cruise.

You are correct. The rules have changed over the years. On my first cruise I was 20 years old and my boyfriend at the time (now my husband) was 21. We were traveling with my entire family, but we had our own stateroom. My boyfriend had to sign a waiver that he was my legal guardian for the week (:eek: not the best idea!!!) and I was allowed to purchase wine and beer by myself. I don't know/think this is an option anymore for US based cruises. This was back in 2004 as well and I was 21 for my next cruise so I'm not sure when/if it changed. We were also able to purchase liquor from the shops onboard and for a fee we could bring it back to our room for the remainder of the week. Oh, the good old days!!!!

Before You Purchase

Print This Page

Q:

What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status.required).

Before You Purchase

Print This Page

Q:

What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status.required).

The problem was with the RCCL employee when he/she keyed in the wrong birth year of one of the younger passengers, not knowing policy. Had the info been input correctly, that employee should have said at the time of booking that they could not sail as a group. Since the mistake was made then and had the OP not corrected it prior to sailing, they would have not been allowed to board at the port.

She knew the rules, she was asking a RCCL representative at the time of booking and said employee told her it was OK, no problem. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES.

I know what the policy is, you know what the policy is, and the OP knows what the policy is, it's a matter of how the mistake was handled. Had the OP been told at the time of booking that it was against policy, none of this would happen.

Even if I knew the policy of a business was, I would call and ask again to make sure I was understanding correctly or the company possibly changing it.

Tim

I feel your pain & glad you are getting to go to FL! I believe RCCL should know their rules... Not you - I don't care if you have been on a 1000 cruises....

Have a great time on your vacation!

It used to be that the kids had to be in a cabin that the door could be seen from the parents door, this changed about 4 - 5 years ago, to the cabins have to be adjoining or across from, and they are strict about that, I have been unable to book a kids cabin, across the hall, but 1 cabin down, the doors must be directly opposite each other

That family comes across as just the type of people that a company like RCI should be grateful to have as customers. I certainly think that I would enjoy sharing a ship with them.

Once again...agree! No drama, no flaming, just everyday folks that got caught in a policy web that the customer service people just didn't think/sort through.

It's nice to see a thread where posters come together to isolate a problem and work to help the OP solve it, with no finger pointing or ego involved. Too bad it didn't have a storybook ending...RCI's loss;)

I don't believe that Royal is in the business of trying to piss people off as many here try to make it out to be. Actually truth be told Royal spends a lot more money than many other cruise lines when it comes to customer service and doesn't just look at nothing but how it's going to effect it's bottom line as many here will make you want to believe.

A couple of months ago, I booked a Royal Caribbean cruise and a Disney vacation. Royal Caribbean's customer service pales in comparison to Disney. But, I mean, that's one of the things that distinguishes Disney - customer service.

Personally, if I was part of management of RCI, the OP would be sailing on RCI.

I would have done whatever it took to make it happen.

Whatever it took, they would be sailing.

Whatever it took? Including booting someone off the ship? Very few rooms accommodate 6+ passengers and having everyone in one room is the only way these guests would have been compliant with the policy.

I agree it is a terrible situation but "doing whatever it took" is a ridiculous standard and would only result in making more guests mad.

A couple of months ago, I booked a Royal Caribbean cruise and a Disney vacation. Royal Caribbean's customer service pales in comparison to Disney. But, I mean, that's one of the things that distinguishes Disney - customer service.

This. We have done a lot of business with both Disney and RCI in particular.

No major issues with Royal...but their service does not hold a candle to Disney. Our daughter got sick (very sick) at one of the parks a few years ago and they took great care of us. They even sent us park hopper passes later for additional days and two different customer service reps called to check up with us in the days that followed.

This. We have done a lot of business with both Disney and RCI in particular.

No major issues with Royal...but their service does not hold a candle to Disney. Our daughter got sick (very sick) at one of the parks a few years ago and they took great care of us. They even sent us park hopper passes later for additional days and two different customer service reps called to check up with us in the days that followed.

And also keep in mind that you are paying a BIG premium with Disney compared to Royal;)

Whatever it took? Including booting someone off the ship? Very few rooms accommodate 6+ passengers and having everyone in one room is the only way these guests would have been compliant with the policy.

I agree it is a terrible situation but "doing whatever it took" is a ridiculous standard and would only result in making more guests mad.

It was their policy, not a law.... They can bend that policy and allowed them to stay just as they were--with the over 21 years olds in the middle cabin since the other two cabins were on each side of them. There would be no need to kick someone out of their room or get them into a suite. They made an error that caused much angst and ruined the vacation they had planned. These are real people. Fortunately they were able to scramble and find alternate plans. Point is they shouldn't have to.

Just as a side note, I work in customer service and have for many years. In my industry when we quote "policy" that is public and everyone has agreed to, etc. there is NO ONE on a public message board defending us. Heck, even when it is regulatory compliance that those they voted into office made, they still blame us....but I digress. Just jealous, I guess. LOL.

To the OP-this absolutely is not your fault. You booked in good faith directly with a company. Regardless if the reservation agent miskeyed the birth date, you told him the girls actual age. Even before he put in the wrong birth date he would have known. They absolutely do record their calls--if they don't then I'm not sure how they could operate in this day in age with a call center. Then the way you were treated when you called on something entirely not related and were told less than a week prior to departure you couldn't cruise is just absolutely beyond me. I agree with others that I think they would have bent their rule at the port. I hope they offer you something for the angst they caused to win you back as a customer.

I love the Royal Caribbean product and I pray I don't have an issue where i can't cruise. I would imagine those responsible for new bookings hate to hear these stories because while they do sail "full" most of the time, imagine if their customer service had some decent respect and common sense to do the right thing for the customer how many more cruisers they would have.

If they had gotten two cabins (1 that accommodates 4 people and 1 that accommodates 3 people) and then had an adult in each cabin, they would have been ok, as well.

But the OP, said that those two types of cabins were no longer available by the time she found out about the error (less than a week before sailing).

I feel horrible for the OP. That RCI could not accommodate them is very sad. I have to be honest if I showed up at the pier and I could not get on because of their mistake I would not be very happy. Even being called a week or 2 weeks before the sailing and being told I could not sail would not make me happy. Everybody makes mistakes but what you do to try and fix them goes a long way in the PR department.

But the two people who mentioned Disney, my only customer service nightmare was actually dealing with them.

Personally, if I was part of management of RCI, the OP would be sailing on RCI.

I would have done whatever it took to make it happen.

Whatever it took, they would be sailing.

That was Jack Williams attitude, and it served him well during his tenure as CEO of Royal Caribbean.

Rick

How about this?

We will waive our room policies for your cruise. You can go on the cruise in the rooms that you booked and we will disregard the the age requirements.

You mention ridiculous. Go back and re-read YOUR post.

Chaperones Required: Most cruise lines require that passengers be at least 21 years old to travel without a chaperone. But a couple, including Disney Cruise Line and Oceania, allow those 18 and older to travel alone. What defines being chaperoned, however, differs among them. Carnival Cruise Lines requires that unmarried passengers younger than 21 each have another passenger at least 25 years old booked in the same cabin. Other lines, including NCL, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Holland America, lower the age of that in-cabin chaperone to 21 -- but specifics vary even then. NCL allows that chaperone to stay in an adjacent cabin, and Holland America only requires one chaperone for every five passengers under 21. Some, but not all, make exceptions for married couples younger than 21. Cruise lines are more flexible when it comes to young adults younger than 21 who are traveling with parents. Most allow them to be in separate cabins if a parent is in an adjoining or adjacent stateroom, and Carnival will even allow those 18 and older to bunk anywhere on the same deck.

These rules are often hard to find, usually listed under "FAQ's" on the line's Web site (in tiny print at the bottom) or, in Royal Caribbean's case, under "Life Onboard.' They aren't kidding about following the rules, either. Carnival's Web site, for example, states that they will carefully check your documentation before they allow you to board, and if you don't follow the rules, you will be left behind with "a 100 percent cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation."

It has been mentioned here that it was a mistake of RCI, as their agent put in the wrong DOB.

I´m not familiar with booking over the phone with RCI and what protocoll they follow.

My experience when doing business over the phone with other companies is that I get a written confirmation and it´s my responsibility to carefully review the written statement to see if it´s correct.

Is this different with RCI? If not I think the OP should have caught the wrong DOB and the situation could have been dealt with right at booking.

Archived