Shifting Population on Princess

rayandshirl

Whether you're young or old, if you need assistance carrying a tray or finding a table in the buffet, someone will help you. I'm assuming the OP means canes, walkers, wheelchairs and/or scooters as "needing assistance." On one of my HI cruises, there was a very elderly couple who were on the cruise. She was in a wheelchair, he needed a walker so he pushed the wheelchair instead. They were the cutest couple and did everything. I saw them on the Arizona, at the Pali Lookout, etc. Some people were impatient because they moved slowly on the ship. I can only hope and pray I'm as adventurous and able to cruise at their age.

IMHO...while I would gladly offer my assistance to this couple if I saw they needed it, bringing along a 3rd person as a helper and paying them in addition to paying for their cruise, would make a whole lot of sense.

And yes, I do know that the elderly couple may not have had the financial ability to do such...but it really does seem like it should be considered a viable travel related expense for this couple..just like airfare..excursions..etc..

God bless them, and I hope to live long enough to join their ranks some day.

We've always found the passengers on longer cruises to be older, and we usually find that they have traveled all over the world. Many of them have very interesting travel stories to tell.

We should all remember that these elderly passengers are the ones that went to war to defend our freedoms and lifestyle. They are directly or indirectly the entrepreneurs who help build our economy and give us our standard of living. They are responsible for the development in science and technology at our fingertips today. They deserve to be able to enjoy some of the fruits of their labour and if that means taking a cruise and being part of the inconvenience in a food line then that is little price for the recipients of their endeavours to pay

How very true..today everything is hurry, hurry, rush, rush. Instant gratification. I hope to grow older(already a senior) and be able to travel just like those in their 90's. Good for them that they still want to travel and can still travel and be independent. You are on a cruise..relax.

Take time to be instructed by the elderly! They have done something right if they have enough resources and physical health to be able to travel at eighty or more. I know enough to realize that one person's 80 is another's 70. Just because you look frail does not mean you can't outpace some of the youngun's.

Because you think you are younger and faster and more worthy of having your cruise your way does not mean it is so. Perhaps you just raced by a wonderful experience with an elder. I laughed at the 64 yo who said it made them feel like a kid. I am turning 65 next month and MY kids are beginning to treat me like I am the old model and true I am stiffer and slower but I am also just fine -- I find I am adjusting to being older and the experiences are different but still very, very fine.

You either get older or you get DEAD! No use for elders to act DEAD when they are still able to do some. Some is better than NONE. Slow is better than NO GO. :D I hope to cruise until my cabin is a coffin.

Applause!!! Not even mentioning that if we banned older people from cruising the industry would screech to a halt as all of the cruise lines went bankrupt. Why would anyone want to be in a hurry while on vacation anyway :rolleyes:

Tom

Take time to be instructed by the elderly! They have done something right if they have enough resources and physical health to be able to travel at eighty or more. I know enough to realize that one person's 80 is another's 70. Just because you look frail does not mean you can't outpace some of the youngun's.

Because you think you are younger and faster and more worthy of having your cruise your way does not mean it is so. Perhaps you just raced by a wonderful experience with an elder. I laughed at the 64 yo who said it made them feel like a kid. I am turning 65 next month and MY kids are beginning to treat me like I am the old model and true I am stiffer and slower but I am also just fine -- I find I am adjusting to being older and the experiences are different but still very, very fine.

You either get older or you get DEAD! No use for elders to act DEAD when they are still able to do some. Some is better than NONE. Slow is better than NO GO. :D I hope to cruise until my cabin is a coffin.

least we forget,we all will be there one day:)

If we keep going on all these cruises our whole lives pigging out at the buffets, I'm not too sure...

"We're going to need a bigger boat!"

And yes, I do know that the elderly couple may not have had the financial ability to do such...but it really does seem like it should be considered a viable travel related expense for this couple..just like airfare..excursions..etc..
Often, it's pride. My parents could afford anything and always swore that when they got older, they'd get a driver. Never happened because they didn't want to lose their sense of independence. After my step-father passed away and my Mom got pretty feeble and unable to do some things, she would accept having a caregiver only three mornings a week, This is a big deal for the elderly; kind of like a mental and emotional barrier they have to cross and accept. It's very hard.
If we keep going on all these cruises our whole lives pigging out at the buffets, I'm not too sure...

"We're going to need a bigger boat!"

I've NEVER gained weight on a cruise and most people I know gain less than five pounds at most and that's after at least a 2-week cruise. The only exception was my sister's ex-daughter-in-law but then she ate two appetizers, two entrees and at least two desserts every night and wondered why nothing fit after five days. Surprise!

I have noticed that the roundtrip cruises out of SF and LA tend to skew older. I think it is because those using assistive devices do not want to fly. It is a hassle even for the able-bodied to use the airports nowadays. Heck, if I needed such assistance I would not want to fly either.

I think that the longer cruises attract an older population and maybe it has to do with the larger ships. I saw a fit older population on the smaller ships, rather than the grand class and larger ones. A CD advised me to take shorter cruises if I wanted a younger population on the cruises. Not sure that's true anymore.

You see the same thing the OP has seen in Ft Lauderdale. It's probably as she suggests, that they don't want to have to fly. But, I have older friends with mobility issues and they fly to cruise. I think it's just the length of the cruises. They have more time off that younger folks as they're retired.

Since a number of people with mobility devices are traveling, Princess needs to think about how to handle mobility devices in the cabins. Scooters are pretty big and people leave them in the passageways. This is a huge safety hazard in an emergency. Wheel chairs are smaller, but, they also get left in the passageways.

I've helped seniors when I've been on a cruise. The help they need, usually, is pushing the elevator buttons if they're in a wheel chair or on a scooter, moving chairs out of the way so they can get into some venues, like dining rooms, holding something for them at the shops. . .I generally draw the line in the buffets, believing that Princess employees should handle that.

I have noticed that the roundtrip cruises out of SF and LA tend to skew older. I think it is because those using assistive devices do not want to fly. It is a hassle even for the able-bodied to use the airports nowadays. Heck, if I needed such assistance I would not want to fly either.

Good point - when I eventually get to Hawaii, I'll want to go directly to Hawaii and not waste valuable time on a cruise ship. The flights out will burn over a day each way (from east coast).

When we look around a ship we should, first and foremost, see why this particular sailing is happening for, without all these passengers, young, old, tall, short, lean or obese, there would be no itinerary and we certainly would not be getting it for the price we paid if but half of them chose not to sail with us.

Whether you're young or old, if you need assistance carrying a tray or finding a table in the buffet, someone will help you. I'm assuming the OP means canes, walkers, wheelchairs and/or scooters as "needing assistance." On one of my HI cruises, there was a very elderly couple who were on the cruise. She was in a wheelchair, he needed a walker so he pushed the wheelchair instead. They were the cutest couple and did everything. I saw them on the Arizona, at the Pali Lookout, etc. Some people were impatient because they moved slowly on the ship. I can only hope and pray I'm as adventurous and able to cruise at their age.

We are all going to be there someday. Only in America are people impatient with the older generation. In other cultures people cherish the older generation and are happy to take care of them.

IMHO...while I would gladly offer my assistance to this couple if I saw they needed it, bringing along a 3rd person as a helper and paying them in addition to paying for their cruise, would make a whole lot of sense.

Nowhere in her post does Pam say or hint that this couple needed, sought or wanted any assistance from a third party. Why would you leap to that conclusion?

Nowhere in her post does Pam say or hint that this couple needed, sought or wanted any assistance from a third party. Why would you leap to that conclusion?
FYI, the only assistance I saw them need was in the buffet. For tours, they hired private drivers/tour guides in each port so they always had someone capable of helping them and not holding up anyone else. She was able to stand and take care of herself, just not walk any distance plus the wheelchair gave him something stable to walk with. They didn't need appear to need caretaker-type assistance.

We should all remember that these elderly passengers are the ones that went to war to defend our freedoms and lifestyle. They are directly or indirectly the entrepreneurs who help build our economy and give us our standard of living. They are responsible for the development in science and technology at our fingertips today. They deserve to be able to enjoy some of the fruits of their labour and if that means taking a cruise and being part of the inconvenience in a food line then that is little price for the recipients of their endeavours to pay

And yet it is still okay to prefer to cruise with people close to your age. Just saying.

And yet it is still okay to prefer to cruise with people close to your age. Just saying.
Of course it is. However, some people don't realize or consider that longer cruises and those with lots of sea days will attract an older passenger who has more time to cruise and don't generally take "beach" type cruises. They're surprised and sometimes, dismayed or even uncomfortable. The good thing about CC is that they can come here and make more informed decisions or adjust their expectations.

least we forget,we all will be there one day:)

I saw this on a headstone but I think it applies here as well:

"I once walked where you now stand,

Until my body left this land,

As I am now so you shall be,

Step out of life and follow me"

On our 4/13 Hawaii Star cruise, I thought the Promenade and Piazza looked like an assisted living center, I still hope thou that I can get out and live when I get older, without it being banned for safety reasons or something:eek:

I don't use a cane in "real" life but have one in case I break a foot bone again (3 in last 2 years). I use the cane as a stabilizer and perhaps some of the folks are using the walkers in the same way. As younger folks or active folks, many do not realize how very far you walk in a day on a ship. As they make ships bigger and fancier, they are also less friendly to folks who are starting to have problems with walking distances. Also those with the seats are great because worse than walking is standing (line/for door to open/for open bathroom stall) and knowing that you have a stable, comfortable place to wait or rest means you can stretch the limits of how far you can go. A walker is not a sign of limited ability it is an enabler to use all the strength for doing what you need/want to do.

I don't use a cane in "real" life but have one in case I break a foot bone again (3 in last 2 years). I use the cane as a stabilizer and perhaps some of the folks are using the walkers in the same way. As younger folks or active folks, many do not realize how very far you walk in a day on a ship. As they make ships bigger and fancier, they are also less friendly to folks who are starting to have problems with walking distances. Also those with the seats are great because worse than walking is standing (line/for door to open/for open bathroom stall) and knowing that you have a stable, comfortable place to wait or rest means you can stretch the limits of how far you can go. A walker is not a sign of limited ability it is an enabler to use all the strength for doing what you need/want to do.

To be honest, with the ship moving like it does, everyone could probably benefit from having a walker with them. If a cane or walker is what makes someone secure or stable enough to book and enjoy a cruise, then do it! Those of us talking about the higher than usual number of people with walking devises, are just jealous:D

My DH and I just returned from a TA aboard the Emerald. DH has limited mobility and walks with either a cane or a walker.

I must say we have never in our life met more helpful, wonderful fellow cruisers and staff. Everywhere we went people were willing to help. We never once asked for assistace however we were surrounded by beautiful folks who constantly looked out for my DH.

What a blessing:D

This is so beautifully said.:)

Archived