Shifting Population on Princess

rayandshirl

Of course it is. However, some people don't realize or consider that longer cruises and those with lots of sea days will attract an older passenger who has more time to cruise and don't generally take "beach" type cruises. They're surprised and sometimes, dismayed or even uncomfortable. The good thing about CC is that they can come here and make more informed decisions or adjust their expectations.

Pam, THAT is the number one reason why people are disappointed in their cruises. They don't know what to expect and aren't making informed decisions. I don't see the logic of cruising to Hawaii. But as you say, it makes a lot of sense for elderly passengers. I guess my big decision when it comes to Hawaii will be whether to combine it as a land vacation with SF or LA?

Pam, THAT is the number one reason why people are disappointed in their cruises. They don't know what to expect and aren't making informed decisions. I don't see the logic of cruising to Hawaii. But as you say, it makes a lot of sense for elderly passengers. I guess my big decision when it comes to Hawaii will be whether to combine it as a land vacation with SF or LA?

The logic of cruising to Hawaii, at least for us is the fact we love sea days! We have done many land vacations to the Islands dating back to the 1960's. We have seen and done all we want to on each island. So...for us, it is a nice relaxing time - we will be making our third cruise to the Islands later this year.

We are not "elderly" (but getting closer:eek:) and the fact that we are retired, affords us to be able to take longer cruises and yes, that is where you find more elderly people. God bless 'em for being able to cruise!:)

Even very intelligent and "with it" people surprise me with their expectations and lack of research. A few years ago, my business partner booked a cruise to Alaska. He was very proud of himself that he did all his research online and booked everything himself via the Internet. He never asked anyone any questions, including me even though he knew I cruised and had been to Alaska. He booked an inside cabin (we were equal partners so I knew he could afford at least a balcony.) When he returned, he said, "Never again. It's all a scam. Drinks aren't included and we had to pay for our helicopter and other tours." He hated the cruise, and Princess. All he had to do was pop into my office next door and ask. Every time I left for a cruise after that, he thought I was nuts.

The logic of cruising to Hawaii, at least for us is the fact we love sea days! We have done many land vacations to the Islands dating back to the 1960's. We have seen and done all we want to on each island. So...for us, it is a nice relaxing time - we will be making our third cruise to the Islands later this year.

We are not "elderly" (but getting closer:eek:) and the fact that we are retired, affords us to be able to take longer cruises and yes, that is where you find more elderly people. God bless 'em for being able to cruise!:)

I agree! We book cruises based on sea days, and having all of the relaxing sea days going to and from Hawaii is the best part of the trip in our view. It's also the reason we're booked for our fifth TA this fall. We love visiting Europe, and this way we only have one long flight either going to or returning from Europe.

Our Panama Canal cruise this past Feb/Mar had a very senior group of passengers. We were on the younger side (65/66). However, we enjoy this type crowd. If we wanted to deal with a lot of kids (we have raised ours) or wild clubers we would cruise Carnival or RC, etc.

Small ships are a drew for the 80s age and round trip ..

I haven't seen that. Only one scooter and no wheelchairs on the one I took. And a very fit bunch of seniors.

On our 4/13 Hawaii Star cruise, I thought the Promenade and Piazza looked like an assisted living center, I still hope thou that I can get out and live when I get older, without it being banned for safety reasons or something:eek:

Piazza on the crown was that way. I made the mistake of sitting in someone's chair. Was she mad at me. LOL

Stay fit and you can do anything. The goal is to not be debilitated when you're older.

On the run when I was working on the ship, it was funny to see all the motorized scooter that was parked outside the MDR. It looked like it was the parking lot at Nordstrom or Walmart. One of my funny colleagues even joked that we should hand out fake ticket for parking illegally. Then we thought, some of the elderly passengers most likely won't appreciate the humor and we have to deal with complains. Another thought it will be nice to have a scooter valet service. Wouldn't that be cool? LOL:p

About 5 yrs or so ago, i had to use a mobility scooter for the first time and to keep myself from getting down about it i made a sign that says " warning student driver". Everyine who passed me or was on the elevator with me would chuckle at my sign. One of the crew members anonymously would leave a "ticket" in my basket and each was very funny. I still have them.one of them was for parking illegally. It took a few days before i realized who was doing it. We had a good laugh. I still have to use the scooter on the ship, and still use the sign because i like to hear people laugh. I don,t know who gets more of a kick out of the sign, those who read it or me when i see their reaction. If it was one of your colleagues, and you still see, give him my regards..i still smile when i think of it.

About 5 yrs or so ago' date=' i had to use a mobility scooter for the first time and to keep myself from getting down about it i made a sign that says " warning student driver". Everyine who passed me or was on the elevator with me would chuckle at my sign. One of the crew members anonymously would leave a "ticket" in my basket and each was very funny. I still have them.one of them was for parking illegally. It took a few days before i realized who was doing it. We had a good laugh. I still have to use the scooter on the ship, and still use the sign because i like to hear people laugh. I don,t know who gets more of a kick out of the sign, those who read it or me when i see their reaction. If it was one of your colleagues, and you still see, give him my regards..i still smile when i think of it.[/quote']

That's funny!!!

Are you sure you were not on HAL? Sorry I could not resist. We cruised on HAL once and several times my husband had to assist people who got their scooter stuck in/on the walls. They could not turn the steering wheels go get themselves out.

Interestingly enough I am considering HAL again to go to the Panama Canal this fall. I am just starting to research where other cruise lines go and perhaps try a new line. (Princess or Celebrity)

Interestingly enough I am considering HAL again to go to the Panama Canal this fall. I am just starting to research where other cruise lines go and perhaps try a new line. (Princess or Celebrity)
Two of my three best cruises have been on HAL. Just because some of us are older doesn't mean we aren't still active. We just move a bit slower and tend to creak when we do. :)

Geriatric Love Boat ?

I've been there...done that. Last year to Canada/New England on HAL we were mostly older cruisers. Very nice people but,

disco not rocking...dancing with myself.

karaoke...singing to myself.

everyone went to bed early.

Geriatric Love Boat ?

I've been there...done that. Last year to Canada/New England on HAL we were mostly older cruisers. Very nice people but,

disco not rocking...dancing with myself.

karaoke...singing to myself.

everyone went to bed early.

So are you saying this is a good thing ???

So are you saying this is a good thing ???

Is it good or bad ? that's all what one likes I guess. I'm in my 40's and feel 20 sometimes. While I always have a great time, I can understand that sometimes a sailing can be a bit too staid.

Last year I took 2 contrasting cruises, one was HAL to Canada and New England, then Carnival to Bermuda. The HAL cruise had great ports with plenty of great things to do in those ports, at the same time the other passengers lacked a sense of fun.

On Carnival, the one port of call wasn't that great, but the ship was a blast with fun...good clean party....dances & games.

It was a trade off I guess.

I'm looking forward to sailing Princess to see if it is more HAL or Carnival. Maybe the best of both ??

Is it good or bad ? that's all what one likes I guess. I'm in my 40's and feel 20 sometimes. While I always have a great time, I can understand that sometimes a sailing can be a bit too staid.

Last year I took 2 contrasting cruises, one was HAL to Canada and New England, then Carnival to Bermuda. The HAL cruise had great ports with plenty of great things to do in those ports, at the same time the other passengers lacked a sense of fun.

On Carnival, the one port of call wasn't that great, but the ship was a blast with fun...good clean party....dances & games.

It was a trade off I guess.

I'm looking forward to sailing Princess to see if it is more HAL or Carnival. Maybe the best of both ??

Never is it the best of both. It is somewhere between the two, depending on the passenger make-up. You don't really know if it fits you until you try it.

It is not as active as Carnival, but not as dull as HAL. Many people choose Princess because of the itineraries, food, and ambiance. The latter two you have to try yourself before you really know if Princess is right for you.

Never is it the best of both. It is somewhere between the two, depending on the passenger make-up. You don't really know if it fits you until you try it.

It is not as active as Carnival, but not as dull as HAL. Many people choose Princess because of the itineraries, food, and ambiance. The latter two you have to try yourself before you really know if Princess is right for you.

I was trying to find a way to say this. You did it better.

Itineraries: Safe bet to say that the itinerary is thumbs up....Alaska ! I've already reserved my shore excursions which sound great. Princess offers great shore tours...at least for Alaska.

Food: I'm easy to please. I can live on hamburgers and fries.

Ambiance: There is the question. On sea days, there should be trivia games, dancing, karaoke, and so on. I book an inside cabin simply as a place to sleep and spend my time out and about looking for stimulation.

That may be true for all the HI cruises with the EXCEPTION

of the Christmas and New Years HI cruises! Mostly 40-60 age range, not a walker in sight on the 12/17/11 Sapphire to Hawaii

I completely agree! There were many kids on our Princess Hawaii cruise. There were even two marriages on our cruise.

Just returned from the 4/28/12 cruise out of San Francisco on the Star to Hawaii and back.

There were 8 seasoned cruisers in our group and we have never experienced such an elderly population on a cruise before. There were more walkers, scooters and wheelchairs than you can imagine.

More than a few of these people needed assistance and were traveling alone, counting on fellow passengers to help.

With the rocky, cold weather on the cruise, most passengers were forced indoors.

By the time we left, we felt as if we had been in a nursing home. Not being unkind, just surprised at the sheer total population on the ship.:eek:

When we went on the Ultimate Ship Tour the Doctor told us that the medical center is the busiest on the HI cruises, due to the elderly population

I've seen scooter drivers negotiate some pretty tricky spots with ease so there's a lot of skill involved - I do not think it's as easy as one may think... In one cruise we were wondering where did all these scooters come from (FLL). Turns out there's a place across the terminal that rents for a low weekly price :D

Archived