cabins near medical center

moonjelly

I am wondering if those who have been situated near the medical center on the Jewel class ships can tell me if the medical center presence and activity is obvious outside the area in the passageways, etc. I know this would vary depending on what injuries/sickness might occur, but just wanted your impressions.

Thanks

Yes, that is true you have to go out of your way to find the medical facilities on the NCL ships. They are not near any passenger cabins, which is a good thing, IMO, for germ reasons! :)

On every ship I've been on, the medical center is on deck 2 or 3 (usually 3), which is near crew quarters and well away from guest areas.

Yes, that is true you have to go out of your way to find the medical facilities on the NCL ships. They are not near any passenger cabins, which is a good thing, IMO, for germ reasons! :)

Not true.

On all NCL Jewel class ships the medical center is on Deck 4 and there are cabins adjacent to it. (I haven't bothered to check any other NCL ships because the OP asked specifically about the Jewel class, but it wouldn't surprise me if the same was true on at least some of the other ships.)

OP...sorry, I can't answer your question because I've never had a cabin near the medical center.

I am wondering if those who have been situated near the medical center on the Jewel class ships can tell me if the medical center presence and activity is obvious outside the area in the passageways, etc. I know this would vary depending on what injuries/sickness might occur, but just wanted your impressions.

Thanks

I don't think you will notice any medical center activity from those cabins located close by. You will have to enter the medical center facility to notice any activity there. It is shielded from the hallways.

What you really need to be concerned about is the presence of large numbers of passengers and crew when they exit and enter the ship from deck 4.

On a scale from 0-10 where 0 indicates no activity and 10 is major activity, the medical center would rate pretty close to 0. The ship exiting and entering rates pretty close to a 10 when this activity is underway.

We've been on enough NCL ships & looking at the Jewel class deck plans for the Medical Center, they are situated like the Dawn/Star class, midship on deck 4 by the elevators, for stability & centrally located for access - but "insulated" enough to be draw unwarranted attention & to afford "patient" privacy. It's not a busy urgent care clinic or trauma center nor a walk-in clinic, most of the time, so I wouldn't worry about it - and the few times we've passed it, was to reach the gangways using the stairs (so, the entire area is noisey when it's in port/anchored & everyone transiting thru to go ashore.) Besides, it's behind closed (double sets ??) doors & there's no porthole or windows to peek out/look thru to watch the "action" ...

Pretty sure that they have adequate infection control measures in place and follow best practices in dealing with red bag items - I work in an off-site, primary health care setting & our administrative HQ on the main campus is next to level 1 trauma, and it's business as usual daily when you are over there for briefings, training & meetings, etc. Every facility has isolation measures & plans in place, and, unknown to most sick "patients" we see daily, we use negative air-flow to circulate & filter the air and have integrated UV ceiling lights to neutralize airborne viruses & germs - to supplement rigorous cleaning measures - and proper hand wash in-between contacts as appropriate.

If you aren't comfortable being in that area, then change or "upgrade" to another deck or section of the ship (unless yours is a GTY cabin assignment) - otherwise, just relax or chill and enjoy the cruise as chances are good that you will hear & see nothing at all - and from what I've noticed, it's a fairly quiet part of the ship (well, except for possibly noises from the kitchen/gallery above it)

Edited by mking8288

Not true.

On all NCL Jewel class ships the medical center is on Deck 4 and there are cabins adjacent to it. (I haven't bothered to check any other NCL ships because the OP asked specifically about the Jewel class, but it wouldn't surprise me if the same was true on at least some of the other ships.)

After I posted this I remembered that the Gem Medical Center was on Deck 4, however, I knew I didn't have to re-post the information, as it was just a matter of time until you posted corrections. :D

Thanks everyone.

I greatly appreciate it.

We are looking at cabin 4600 on the Jewel, which is right near the medical center and just wondered what the traffic might be, medical-wise. If the action is behind closed double doors, no waiting areas outside, etc., we probably won't even know it is there.

Does anyone know on which side the door or marked entrance is?

I appreciate comments about other noise issues or possible negative or positive aspects of this location.

Thanks again!

We are looking at cabin 4600 on the Jewel, which is right near the medical center and just wondered what the traffic might be, medical-wise. If the action is behind closed double doors, no waiting areas outside, etc., we probably won't even know it is there.

Does anyone know on which side the door or marked entrance is? I appreciate comments about other noise issues or possible negative or positive aspects of this location.

4600 - hmmmm, I would be more "concerned" about shore excurison activities going on behind your cabin (if you look at that wide opening - it's there for a reason) especially if tendering is involved - security will be setup with their metal detectors & x-ray scanner, etc. plus human traffic going to/from ... There are service carts, luggage holds & storage down in that general area - but, they are generally not seen or heard by the passengers (and they have crew only staircases & elevators not shown on the "public" deck plans) With cabins above you, at least you won't hear things above being moving around (once had a GTY cabin below the dining room/kitchen gallery ... never again !)

Facts checking with DW & SIL on our Jewel cruise to the Bahamas last year, pretty sure we're down on the lower deck & lined up for the tender boats but none of us 100% sure about using port or starboard side - but on our return from GSC, we walked thru sections of the ship that we normally don't see to get to the elevators (we're up on deck 8) - thus, noticed the small sign/plaque for the medical center.) There're definitely no benches or chairs near the hallway/stairs/elevators outside this facility.

Are you doing the Bahama or this summer's Alaska sailing on the Jewel? It sounded like you might want to see if another cabin (sleeping 4??) in the same category is available (further away from the MC)

Edited by mking8288

Thanks

We have had cabins near the medical center and there was no problem at all. No noise or any extra activity.

We chose cabins near the medical center for our first cruise because it is the most stable part of the ship, least likely to feel motion and we weren't sure who might get motion sick. No one did!

It was not noisy at all! The medical center draws no attention and is behind double doors as already mentioned.

It was not a problem at all to disembark in Nassau, and back on board we were right at our rooms.

Have a great cruise!

• 1 year later...
Thanks everyone.

I greatly appreciate it.

Does anyone know on which side the door or marked entrance is?

I appreciate comments about other noise issues or possible negative or positive aspects of this location.

Thanks again!

Moonjelly- we are assigned cabin 4600 on the Jewel next month. Were there any issues with that cabin (i.e. obstructions, noise from medical center or elevators)? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!