pompeii prices

lorrdean

ok this may seem like a stupid question, but until tonight I hadn't thought about the entrance price into the pompeii site, is there a cost? and how much is it?

also would we be able to hire a guide there? and the average cost of this as well please

ok this may seem like a stupid question, but until tonight I hadn't thought about the entrance price into the pompeii site, is there a cost? and how much is it?

also would we be able to hire a guide there? and the average cost of this as well please

Pompeii: Full € 11.00

€ 20.00 (includes Pompeii, Herculaneum and Oplontis, Stabia, Antiquarium of Boscoreale - validity 3 days)

The following site has lots of info on Pompeii:

http://www.pompeiturismo.it/index.php?Itemid=28&id=14&lang=en&option=com_content&task=view

You can rent an audioguide - I can't help you with the cost of a tour guide.

jill

Not entirely the same, but last week we hired a guide at Herculaneum and he charged 50 Euro, I suspect Pompeii will be similar.

We did hire a guide there a few years ago but I dont recall the price sorry.

Pompeii: Full € 11.00

€ 20.00 (includes Pompeii, Herculaneum and Oplontis, Stabia, Antiquarium of Boscoreale - validity 3 days)

The following site has lots of info on Pompeii:

http://www.pompeiturismo.it/index.php?Itemid=28&id=14&lang=en&option=com_content&task=view

You can rent an audioguide - I can't help you with the cost of a tour guide.

jill

thank you that site is great

They generally want 100 Euro at Pompei but will wait until they get 10 people willing to pay 10 Euro each.

thanks euro, you have been my life saver on these boards lately :D

Our experience is similar to Euro's. Most of the time during the busy summer season there will be guides right outside the entrance organizing their own tour groups. Most of the time the cost will be about 10 Euros per person.

Hank

thanks euro, you have been my life saver on these boards lately :D

Lorrdean, we may be interesting in doing a group tour on this. I figured we'd make our way to Naples and Pompeii by train and DIY. But getting a group of 10 for 10E each is very doable.

Lorrdean, we may be interesting in doing a group tour on this. I figured we'd make our way to Naples and Pompeii by train and DIY. But getting a group of 10 for 10E each is very doable.

Hi Gilda, we have booked a private tour for there, visiting pompeii, sorrento and positano, with joe banana tours, so i was just wondering about the guides at pompeii.

You can also rent an audio guide there which is decent. Guides usually only cover a specific area, our second trip we did the audio guide and really got to explore a lot more area.

We visited Pompeii on May 13 and indeed the entry price was 11 Euro pp. We also rented two audio guide units for 10 Euro, the cost of a single unit was around 7 Euro. If you want to rent an audio guide, be aware that they require a picture ID and they hold on to it until you bring the unit back. I gave them my drivers license as I didn't want to part with my passport. They accepted it no problem and they only needed one ID even though we rented two units.

I thought the audio guide was "ok". It functioned without problems but I sometimes felt it didn't give me enough information or the specific info I was wanting. We did cover a lot of ground though and I thought the price was reasonable for what we got. A lot of people we met used the Rick Steves books or audio guides. I think I'd try a book or a live guide next time.

Also note, they instruct you to exit at a different gate than where you enter but you must walk back (outside the complex) to the gate where you entered so you can return the audio guide unit and get your ID back. This is no big deal as the entrance gate is near the train station anyway but it felt strange to leave the complex with the audio guide still in hand.

Hello,

I am going to Pompeii with a small private group. My questions are

**is it a long line to buy the entrance fare?

**will the entrance fare come with a basic walking site map?

**Do I really need a tour guide in Pompeii or just can wonder around by ourselves?

**If we enter from the front gate, do we need to come back the same way to meet the van? or normally the tour van will wait for us @ another gate?

Thank you :cool:

Hello,

I am going to Pompeii with a small private group. My questions are

**is it a long line to buy the entrance fare?

**will the entrance fare come with a basic walking site map?

**Do I really need a tour guide in Pompeii or just can wonder around by ourselves?

**If we enter from the front gate, do we need to come back the same way to meet the van? or normally the tour van will wait for us @ another gate?

Thank you :cool:

The line CAN be long; it will depend on the time of year, time of day, etc.

Once you buy your ticket, stop at the window to the left of the ticket line to pick up a detailed map and booklet with descriptions of what you'll see. It's free, but you have to ask for it.

You can wander by yourselves. However, I'd suggest that if you want to do this, you do a little research in advance to decide what you want to see. Pompeii is quite large. I wrote a very detailed post a few weeks ago about doing Pompeii on your own. If you do a search on this forum you should be able to locate it. It's got a lot of good info and tips.

Your driver will tell you where to meet him/her when they drop you off. If you're concerned about it, I'd email them in advance rather than taking the word of someone here. Different companies may handle this in different ways.

We visited Pompeii on May 13 and indeed the entry price was 11 Euro pp. We also rented two audio guide units for 10 Euro, the cost of a single unit was around 7 Euro. If you want to rent an audio guide, be aware that they require a picture ID and they hold on to it until you bring the unit back. I gave them my drivers license as I didn't want to part with my passport. They accepted it no problem and they only needed one ID even though we rented two units.

I thought the audio guide was "ok". It functioned without problems but I sometimes felt it didn't give me enough information or the specific info I was wanting. We did cover a lot of ground though and I thought the price was reasonable for what we got. A lot of people we met used the Rick Steves books or audio guides. I think I'd try a book or a live guide next time.

Also note, they instruct you to exit at a different gate than where you enter but you must walk back (outside the complex) to the gate where you entered so you can return the audio guide unit and get your ID back. This is no big deal as the entrance gate is near the train station anyway but it felt strange to leave the complex with the audio guide still in hand.

Hello, Thanks for the information about the audio, walking back to return may take more time than using a book. I like to wonder around by myself than going with a tour group. Can we pay the entrance fee by Credit card or Euro Cash only. I will be able to plan my cash accordingly.

Archived