How much to do in Quebec City?

We'll be in Quebec City on HAL's Eurodam on Sunday September 23. We overnight there, and then disembark on Monday September 24.

I've found a tour company that offers a reasonably priced 10:00 am two hour city tour (walking) followed be a 1:15 pm four and a half hour country tour by bus (that includes the basilica and the falls). We would obviously have to eat a quick lunch between the two tours.

I'm worried that the two tours might be just too much for one day and won't give us enough time to enjoy the city itself. But I'd love to see the countryside as well and unfortunately they don't offer a morning country tour ......

What to do? :confused:

When do you actually leave for home, or your next destination? If you are leaving QC on the 24th, later in the day, you could do the city tour on the 24th. If you can stay an extra day, that would be even better.

However, I think your current plans are doable but may be a lot in one day. I'm assuming that your country tour is to Montmorency Falls and St Anne de Beaupre. The Falls are right outside of QC, to the east, on the way to St Anne. When we went on the same cruise, a few years ago, we stayed in Beaupre for a week before getting on the Eurodam in QC.

FYI, we did a little tour of the Chateau Frontenac. It was a little hokie in that the guide was a ghost, but it was kinda neat. We also did a little antiquing in Petit Champlain, rode the funicular, and walked around QC. Oh, and we tried poutine (thought it might be better there than in Alberta).

What ever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time. We certainly did!

Quebec City is magnificent. We also overnighted there, actually unexpectedly, due to remnants of a hurricane which passed through and diverted our ship. We spent two days there and had a fabulous time. We walked around by ourselves, through both "towns". We also walked to the Citadel, which is an active military base so you must take a guided tour there, which was very interesting.

The bus tour sounds wonderful. I would definitely do that, but I think you could forego the walking tour. You can easily get around by yourselves and if you are tired, then two hours might already be pushing it. There is lots of info online; here is just the first link I found when researching.

http://travel.bigdiction.net/quebec-city_old-town-walking-tour_new-town-eating-tour/

Have fun!

I think you should spend at least a day in Quebec City. You do not need a guided walking tour if you have a good guidebook.

The falls, which I finally visited in March are OK, but not worth taking precious time.

I've now found an all day 8 hour tour that includes the city tour and the country tour for $99 per person. It is with a company called "Shore Excursions Group".

That sounds like a very good price, but I can find very little info or reviews about this company. :confused:

We started our 10 day cruise in Quebec City. We arrived a day early driving from Montreal and stayed in the Le Chateau Frontenac. Wonderful views, plenty of wonderful restaurants, lots to walk and drive and see. We did more walking in both cities than driving.

I have them book marked as they are heavily advertising on this site and are othering some interesting tours to some of my South American cruise stops - they only handle cruise ship excursions and if I read correctly somewhere the founder is a former exec with one of the cruise lines - they are registered with the State of Florida Travel people.

Hope this helps a little

Cheers

Dennis

Archived