Royal Carribbean basically "forced me" to tip waiters I never met!

My take on this is the Cruise Lines have the Gratuities as an extra charge to keep the base price of the cruise down to attract customers. The base price is advertised, then you add tax, fees, port charges and gratuities and insurance.

The very high end Cruise Lines include the Gratuity in the Base Price. All-Inclusive Resorts do the same. Sure people on the high end cruise lines and AI's still tip for extras, but it is not expected.

I would prefer that everything be included in the base price and if I want to tip extra I am free to do so. The Cruiselines, for the most part, want it to be separate because the base price remains lower, enticing more customers.

I just prepay my tips for my own convenience and then give extra to those who go above and beyond. It really amazes me so many people have a problem with the tipping system once it is explained, even if it is not their custom. What is so hard to understand? Unless pretending not to understand is just an excuse to be cheap and cheat someone.

However, if you are eating in the buffet every night, there are waiters there who also deserve a tip. If you do not plan on eating in the main dining room, free up your seats and then your automatic tips can be shared amongst the many working in the buffet, etc.,.

This past cruise, we ate in the buffet exclusively. We also sat in the same general area each night. Conveniently, the same server worked that area and, just like a dinner waiter, soon started bringing our drinks before we even asked. At the end of the cruise, we tipped her. This, to me, is a fine policy and a fine solution (if you sit in the same area).

But, frankly, I am not prepaying tips for the "general population". The cooks get paid, I assume better than waiters. No one is waiting on me at the buffet; I'm getting my own food. Yes, someone has to bus the tables; guess what, that's life. I'm not paying $160 in prepaid tips for my wife and I for that. When people say "prepay the tips, even if you don't eat in the dining room, because it gets shared amongst the poorly-paid workers", in essence we're being asked to subsidize the entire cruise line. That's just bull. It's one thing to tip a lone waiter in a restaurant; it's quite another to ask 3000 people on a cruise to contribute $225,000 a week to Royal Caribbean so they can pay their employees cheaper. Cruising has gotten cheaper as they've cut costs and made it more accessible to everyone; that's great. I respectfully sacrifice my lobster, and the mints on my pillow, and my escargot, and my chocolate midnight buffet, in exchange for the lower cruise fare. But I am not footing the bill for their employees because they're cheap. My room steward cleans my room: I tip him. If a waiter brings me food or drink: I tip them (including room service, which I've never used, but if I did, I'd tip them). Otherwise, where does it stop? Do we start tipping the dancers after a show? Do we leave Customer Service a buck when they answer a question for us?

Perpay the tip, when you book your cruise.

This was the first time I did it.

The only way to go.

That's what we do now. I just consider it a service charge and include it in the cost of the cruise. Then I don't have to think about it again. I don't want to have think about whom to tip and how much. If someone goes above and beyond and we want to tip extra, we just do that.

To me, this is the simplest way to go. I really don't think about fair or not fair. It is what it is and I know that when I book.

I dont understand- if I pre pay tips do I still have to give out the envelopes?

No you do not, unless you wish to include some additional money in any of them. The vouchers pretty much serve as a confirmation to you that your prepayment has been applied.:)

This past cruise, we ate in the buffet exclusively. We also sat in the same general area each night. Conveniently, the same server worked that area and, just like a dinner waiter, soon started bringing our drinks before we even asked. At the end of the cruise, we tipped her. This, to me, is a fine policy and a fine solution (if you sit in the same area).

But, frankly, I am not prepaying tips for the "general population". The cooks get paid, I assume better than waiters. No one is waiting on me at the buffet; I'm getting my own food. Yes, someone has to bus the tables; guess what, that's life. I'm not paying $160 in prepaid tips for my wife and I for that. When people say "prepay the tips, even if you don't eat in the dining room, because it gets shared amongst the poorly-paid workers", in essence we're being asked to subsidize the entire cruise line. That's just bull. It's one thing to tip a lone waiter in a restaurant; it's quite another to ask 3000 people on a cruise to contribute $225,000 a week to Royal Caribbean so they can pay their employees cheaper. Cruising has gotten cheaper as they've cut costs and made it more accessible to everyone; that's great. I respectfully sacrifice my lobster, and the mints on my pillow, and my escargot, and my chocolate midnight buffet, in exchange for the lower cruise fare. But I am not footing the bill for their employees because they're cheap. My room steward cleans my room: I tip him. If a waiter brings me food or drink: I tip them (including room service, which I've never used, but if I did, I'd tip them). Otherwise, where does it stop? Do we start tipping the dancers after a show? Do we leave Customer Service a buck when they answer a question for us?

OK so you do understand the system. Through the tipping system Royal Caribbean has set up, waiters are assured their pay. Passengers are not subsidizing Royal Caribbean, they are in fact paying the waiters through their tips. Every time someone doesn't pay their share in this tipping system somebody makes less money.

If enough people don't pay the tips then the tipping will become mandatory or the price of the cruise will increase. You readily admit that cruising is cheaper now than it used to be. Some of that is due to cost cutting to keep the fares low. I believe the cruise line keeps the tips separate from the cruise fare to keep the base fare low enough to attract a certain number of passengers.

But if those passengers don't pay their fair share of the tips recommended by the cruise line, they are essentially cutting someones pay and making it unfair to those of us who do tip according to the recommended tipping system.

So I take it that you DO understand that this is how the waiters are paid, you just don't want to do it. Most people call that being a "cheapskate".

You are NOT paying 160.00 in dining tips..part of that pre pay tip goes to your cabin steward as well

OK so you do understand the system. Through the tipping system Royal Caribbean has set up, waiters are assured their pay. Passengers are not subsidizing Royal Caribbean, they are in fact paying the waiters through their tips. Every time someone doesn't pay their share in this tipping system somebody makes less money.

If enough people don't pay the tips then the tipping will become mandatory or the price of the cruise will increase. You readily admit that cruising is cheaper now than it used to be. Some of that is due to cost cutting to keep the fares low. I believe the cruise line keeps the tips separate from the cruise fare to keep the base fare low enough to attract a certain number of passengers.

But if those passengers don't pay their fair share of the tips recommended by the cruise line, they are essentially cutting someones pay and making it unfair to those of us who do tip according to the recommended tipping system.

So I take it that you DO understand that this is how the waiters are paid, you just don't want to do it. Most people call that being a "cheapskate".

WELL SAID!! Just as an after thought...it amazes me that people will complain about tipping and prepaid tips and try to get out of paying them and yet on the other hand you have people who brag about how they tip bartenders extra to get better drinks and service. I guess liquor service is more important than dining service!

I think the whole tipping thing is frustrating but it has always been a apart of the cruise thing. On our last cruise on RC Liberty of the Seas- we did the prepaid system- but I think the room attendant wanted more. Years before- we did the cash tipping and my best system for cash tipping is to divide up the cash and have the right amount before you leave for the cruise and have it in an envelope designated for tipping only- then on the last night you dont have to worry about getting change or figuring out how much you owe to each person. I wish they would do away with tipping like the all inclusives and just have it added to your cruise fare- and it you want to give someone special a small cash tip- then do it.

Since tips are pooled and you give cash above and beyond the amount prepaid, is the waiter required to pool that extra tip as well?

We like to give the pre-paid vouchers to our wait staff to thank them personally for a job well done. They work hard and as others have said, they do work in venues other than dinner in the MDR. Unfortunately, we have been on more than one cruise where folks at our table do not show up at the last dinner of the cruise so that they don't "have" to tip. We know this for a fact. :eek:

Tips are not pooled.

Regarding MTD and prepaid gratuities, here is something that we just learned on our b2b2b on Radiance.

When you sign up for MTD, if you eat just "1" meal in the MTD venue, your prepaid gratuities will go to the MTD waiters.

If you sign up for MTD and eat anywhere but the MTD venue during your cruise, your gratuities are designated for the WJ dining staff where they are pooled.

Regarding MTD and prepaid gratuities, here is something that we just learned on our b2b2b on Radiance.

When you sign up for MTD, if you eat just "1" meal in the MTD venue, your prepaid gratuities will go to the MTD waiters.

If you sign up for MTD and eat anywhere but the MTD venue during your cruise, your gratuities are designated for the WJ dining staff where they are pooled.

I tried to say that earlier explaining that they know if and when we eat in MTD since we check in there. People don't like to believe it though. They think this is all hearsay. When the info comes from the dining room manager, which is where I heard it, it's very believable. There's no reason to tell anyone that you didn't hear it from your uncle's brother's girlfriend. :rolleyes: Those who want an excuse to not tip don't believe you. :)

You've missed a lot on this thread. I don't recommend going back to read it all though. ;)

Gina

I tried to say that earlier explaining that they know if and when we eat in MTD since we check in there. People don't like to believe it though. They think this is all hearsay. When the info comes from the dining room manager, which is where I heard it, it's very believable. There's no reason to tell anyone that you didn't hear it from your uncle's brother's girlfriend. :rolleyes: Those who want an excuse to not tip don't believe you. :)

You've missed a lot on this thread. I don't recommend going back to read it all though. ;)

Gina

LOL, I started to read it and then just decided to post my information.:D

Jeanie and Vikram came down to visit us one night at MTD so I just decided to ask since I had both experts right in front of me.:)

I find it easier to prepay my tips then forget about it. If passengers actually ever chat to the staff on board ship and learn what their working conditions are like then you would not begrudge $11-12 per day. Ask them where home is and how long since they have seen their families. They work 7 days a week for months on end and are lucky to go ashore every now and again. One drink waiter told me his retainer was $50 per month then he earned 15% on the drinks he sells. He told us of a friend who worked the coffee shop all morning and only made $1. Why because all the coffee drinkers had 'coffee cards' which were prepaid so no 15% is added on for the guy who actually serves you.

Regarding eating in the buffet I have had a waiter in that area after one day who knew what our drink requirements were at breakfast and would bring them without us ordering or ask if we were ready and had decaf coffee and skim milk for us. Most buffet staff also work in the main dining room too. Often we have met our MDR waiter on the early shift for breakfast so they don't get much of a break by the time they finish the evening shift.

Shame on those skinflints who go and remove their gratuities from their account. We are so very lucky to be able to afford a cruise holiday.

I have been on a cruise line where they have done away with tipping and the service is not the same.

My wife and I eat out several times a week. With just the two of us it's easier. I pretty much leave a standard $10.00 tip everywhere, even if the bill is only $20.00 or so. I just consider leaving a couple dollar tip to be cheap. Tipping is part of the cruise culture, if you don't want to tip, perhaps crusing isn't for you. Pay the prepaid tips and enjoy your vacation.

Tips are not pooled.

Thanks, Apparently, I got the wrong info. I knew the correct info would get to me in here eventually.

And around and around we go!

Sorry you're getting dizzy. Maybe if you close your eyes a bit that would help? :rolleyes:

I find it easier to prepay my tips then forget about it. If passengers actually ever chat to the staff on board ship and learn what their working conditions are like then you would not begrudge $11-12 per day. Ask them where home is and how long since they have seen their families. They work 7 days a week for months on end and are lucky to go ashore every now and again. One drink waiter told me his retainer was $50 per month then he earned 15% on the drinks he sells. He told us of a friend who worked the coffee shop all morning and only made $1. Why because all the coffee drinkers had 'coffee cards' which were prepaid so no 15% is added on for the guy who actually serves you.

Regarding eating in the buffet I have had a waiter in that area after one day who knew what our drink requirements were at breakfast and would bring them without us ordering or ask if we were ready and had decaf coffee and skim milk for us. Most buffet staff also work in the main dining room too. Often we have met our MDR waiter on the early shift for breakfast so they don't get much of a break by the time they finish the evening shift.

Shame on those skinflints who go and remove their gratuities from their account. We are so very lucky to be able to afford a cruise holiday.

I have been on a cruise line where they have done away with tipping and the service is not the same.

There is no "coffee card" on RC. You must be thinking of Princess.

On RC, the 15% that is charged to each passenger who buys a soda card is shared among all of the bar servers.

Archived