Gentlemen - What do you wear for Formal Nights?

bepsf

What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?

• I wear a Tuxedo that I own.
    • I rent a Tux and wear that.
    • I bring a dark suit/blazer to wear.
    • I don't make any special efforts for formal night - I dress how I like.
    • I don't dine in the Main Restaurant on Formal Nights, so it doesn't matter.

It pays big dividends around midnight thirty when you are back in your cabin with a bottle of bubbly.

And that has got to be the BEST reason for wearing formal attire!!! :D

We got him a tux for this cruise and I hope we don't regret the decision. I worry about the cumberbund because it's simply another place for him to excessively perspire...

Scrumpy - No law says he must wear a cummerbund - my DH doesn't really like them, he prefers a vest, but on some cruises it's too warm for a vest.

I got several nice pairs of traditional suspenders - some are very fancy with silver thread detail and nice black leather ends (for buttoning to the slacks) and if it's been warm in the D/R, he just uses the suspenders and leaves the cummerbund in the cabin. He loves using the suspenders and they look very sharp.

I know Dillards carries many different types, so does Men's Warehouse. You may want to give it a try if he suffers so much from the heat. Depending on the ship and voyage - dining room temps DO vary.

One of my problems is that I have a hard time finding even suits that fit me well. My size is hard to find "off the rack". Anybody have any suggestion as to where would be a good place to look for a tuxedo without having to remortgage the house in the Orlando, FL area?

You don't need to buy off the rack - try Men's Warehouse (no, I don't work for them, but maybe they should give me a discount!) nice light-weight wool blend tuxes start at about $200 - inlcuding alterations. I got my son a dinner jacket last fall and he can wear pretty close to off the rack, the sleeves were a tad bit long - they did a great job, quickly too. It looks like they have 3 stores in Orlando.

DH's new tux is being purchased there - along with a white dinner jacket for those warmer climates.

Take a look -

http://www.menswearhouse.com/home_page/ho10_home.jsp?bmUID=1115222956961

Should I drag out my "beating a dead horse" icon??? :D

Most of your examples involved conforming to a dress code - no argument with that.

But we'll leave the argument at this point. No need for me to show off my superior skills, as Dave Barry said: "I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me."

:) -dave

Traditionalist here. Wear tux (or white dinner jacket) on formal nights, and stay formal after dinner.

On rare occasion, I have taken a dark business suit instead of my tux.

The HAL dress code for formal nights, as posted on their website, does not say "dark" suits...In fact a tuxedo or suit are not required for formal nights...HAL says you are welcome to wear a jacket and tie.

For those who are concerned about packing, a blazer will do for both formal and informal nights.

Thanks, we didn't purchase one when we got the tux; I was looking at the vests and the suspenders. I think it would look nicer with one, but even getting him into a tux was a concession on his part - at least initially. Once he saw what I was going to wear, he decided he'd better get one or risk looking under-dressed by my side. Good suggestions about Men's Wearhouse and Dillard's. I don't know the last time I was in either one, but they are both very near where I need to pick up the tux after alterations anyway. Either way, I think at least one of us will suffer. He runs hot and will be wearing the tux and I run cold and my dresses are long, but no coverage for arms or shoulders. I have been looking for a wrap, but having no luck. It's probably poor etiquette to leave one on while you eat anyway...Thanks again!

Scrumpy - No law says he must wear a cummerbund - my DH doesn't really like them, he prefers a vest, but on some cruises it's too warm for a vest.

I got several nice pairs of traditional suspenders - some are very fancy with silver thread detail and nice black leather ends (for buttoning to the slacks) and if it's been warm in the D/R, he just uses the suspenders and leaves the cummerbund in the cabin. He loves using the suspenders and they look very sharp.

I know Dillards carries many different types, so does Men's Warehouse. You may want to give it a try if he suffers so much from the heat. Depending on the ship and voyage - dining room temps DO vary.

We got DH's tux at Burlington. I think it is okay. It was only $99, but I don't *think* he will look too much like a waiter. If he does, it will be a lesson learned about buying cheap stuff ;) Price doesn't include alterations. I want to say that it's wool, but it could be a blend. It is just the jacket and trousers. They sell the accessories, but very, very limited selection.

Thanks 'Vegas Jim and ekerr19 for you suggestions...

I have more options to explore now for finding that first Tux...

No need for me to show off my superior skills, as Dave Barry said: "I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me."

FOFLMHO!!

...I run cold and my dresses are long, but no coverage for arms or shoulders. I have been looking for a wrap, but having no luck. It's probably poor etiquette to leave one on while you eat anyway...Thanks again!

Hey, Scrumpy -

You can probably risk waiting to purchase a pashmina onboard...

I had no luck, either, finding one before we sailed.

I had heard a vicious rumor here on the HAL board that they were available in the ship stores for a reasonable price. Lo and behold, they (ms Oosterdam) did indeed have a wide selection of them in a rainbow of colors (including black), and they were of a generous size in a soft, warm fabric.

Cost: $10

Can't guarantee anything for your ship; however, may be a backup plan if you don't have any luck before you sail.

Best Regards,

Thank you Stormy! I remember them selling those onboard on the Alaskan cruise. I wish I'd gotten one now. Even though we are still having snow here (!), it is hard to find warm clothes that aren't clearly sportswear. Good memory - thanks so much!

Thank you Stormy! I remember them selling those onboard on the Alaskan cruise. I wish I'd gotten one now. Even though we are still having snow here (!), it is hard to find warm clothes that aren't clearly sportswear. Good memory - thanks so much!

You're most welcome. :)

It was already heating up here in Arizona, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with the lack of availability of sweaters, wraps, etc.

It's very hard to even LOOK at anything made of wool or cashmere when temperatures are in the 90's! :D

But we'll leave the argument at this point. No need for me to show off my superior skills, as Dave Barry said: "I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me."

:) -dave

dave - This is what I try to remember and use as a reminder when I am arguing or heatedly posting... too bad I don't always remember to follow it!!!

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain

Also voted for DH.....

He bought a tux and all the trimmings to wear on our Oosterdam cruise, I

don't think he has worn a suit since we got married 34 ago!!

Just off the ship this morning, can feel more rocking now than I did the

whole trip:eek:

DW and myself enjoy dressing for the formal nights. DW always looks good and I am hard put to keep up with her. I have a tux and a white dinner jacket-don't always bring both on a cruise but always bring a dark blu blazer/dk gry slacks/necktie for formal nights when I don't feel like the tux. Have never felt out of place with the blazer.

I take 2 dark suits, one is Black and other is Dark Blue almost looks black.. I feel I look better in a Dark Suit, also with the Dark suits you can match what your wife is wearing, if she is wearing Red, then you go with a Red Shirt/Tie, it looks awesome... I told my wife she can put me in a Tux the day I die.

I take a black suit, white shirt with French cuffs, cuff links and a black bow tie for formal nights. The suit becomes multi purpose in that I also take a coloured shirt and a tie to wear on semi-formal nights. The black slacks can also be worn with a blazer on semi-formal nights and with a sport shirt on casual nights.

Getting dressed up is not one of my favourite activities, but my wife and daughter like to dress up, and it is a tradition so I happily go with the flow.

On other winter vactions to Mexico, shorts, golf shirts and a pair of Dockers are all that are needed and my travel bag weights less than half of what it does when we cruise, so it all evens out.

I rented a tux for my first cruise but in anticipation of many more I just bought a tux for our May 28 Zui cruise. I think I am going to rent the tie & vest instead of buy them because I want to be able to have lots of choices in that department. What are peoples preferences for the number of buttons on the jacket? I like the 3 button but my DW thinks the 1 button look great.

I had to get a black tux back in '97 when I started working in a wedding band but the only time I get to wear it now is when we cruise. I have a few different accessories that I wear with it. I wouldn't rent one if I didn't already have one...I'd just wear some jacket and tie.

I bought a tux from a rental outlet several years ago. It has adjustable buckles on each side of the waist band. I do not need suspenders or a belt. Cummerbunds are also adjustable. It is a light wool and I am never too hot.

I think that most people who cruise regard formal nights as a sense of occasion and not just dinner.

I forgot to mention that I converted from a cummerbund to a vest - much more comfortable and practical, IMO, but now I don't have anyplace to carry my room key/card (isn't that what the pleats are for in the cummerbund?). ;)

Archived