Gentlemen - What do you wear for Formal Nights?

bepsf

What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?

• I wear a Tuxedo that I own.
    • I rent a Tux and wear that.
    • I bring a dark suit/blazer to wear.
    • I don't make any special efforts for formal night - I dress how I like.
    • I don't dine in the Main Restaurant on Formal Nights, so it doesn't matter.

I own and wear my tux with a silk, black on black vest and matching tie. A real one. I loved formal nights on the cruise. It's a hi-light. Fortunately, at the late seating, most men dress appropriately.

Dude on the 4/30 Zuid had on a Kilt. i thought it was disgusting, personally. But to each his own and I did not let it bother me.

I wear a black suit that most people think is a tux-- HA.:D

Personally we still love to dress up on formal nights. My husband takes both a White Dinner Jacket and Black Tux and I always bring truly formal wear. And we ARE relaxed in our formal attire. To us this is part of a vacation and doing something different from everyday life.

hey, i just treated myself to a white dinner jacket (well, actually, it's more ivory color... but that's not the point).

which is considered the more formal of the two? i'm guessing black, but thought i might inquire so i'm wearing the more appropriate jacket on the more appropriate night.

tia.

I own one tux and will wear that on the formal nights. Really, the only time I wear that tux is on a cruise. To me, it's part of the tradition of cruising. Just my opinion but too bad, some of the passengers feel the urgent need to get out of their formals as soon as dinner is over and then show up in the crow's nest wearing shorts and T-shirts

I just saw a great picture in today's San Jose Mercury News with Larry the Cable Guy in a Tux--with the sleeves cut out. I now have to find someone to alter my tux that way.

Guess I'll head on over to the fashion board to see whether I need to shave my armpits, or if braiding is acceptable. Braiding probably isn't appropriate as this is an Alaskan cruise, not a Carribean cruise.:D

[quote name='cruzermon']Guess I'll head on over to the fashion board to see whether I need to shave my armpits, or if braiding is acceptable. Braiding probably isn't appropriate as this is an Alaskan cruise, not a Carribean cruise.:D[/QUOTE]

LOL

If you do that on the cruise I'm on, I'll DEFINITELY wear a grass skirt and coconut bra!!

:D

[quote name='blackbird71']
The ship was open seating so I never saw the mid 20s dancer from the main show group on formal nights, but one night I was at his table and he said that on formal nights he worn a kilt ..... Mmmm good looking male dancer in kilt..... I wonder how many times female paxs check on the stories of Scotish men in kilts and their undergarments. :D[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many heads would discretely turn as he descended from the upper to the lower dining room :eek::D

[QUOTE]Let's face it, bearded men just look even better in formal clothes. Just ask Dave ....[/QUOTE]

Or Greg! :)

[IMG]http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/.Pictures/panamacanal/formalphotos/pc7.jpg[/IMG]

"Neal ... Greg Neal."
(in the background you can hear the theme to "Dr. No")

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='revneal']Or Greg! :)

[img]http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/.Pictures/panamacanal/formalphotos/pc7.jpg[/img]

"Neal ... Greg Neal."
(in the background you can hear the theme to "Dr. No")[/QUOTE]

[b]Hope the cummerband is the right way up:rolleyes: By the way very smart[/b]

Thanks, bayofbiscay! And, yes, I was wearing my cummerbund the right way up. :) Christopher is in clothing design ... he would never let me out of the stateroom without the cummerbund on right.

Dark suit, white shirt and tie

Black tux with assorted vests with regular ties, assorted cummerbuns and matching bow ties

White dinner jacket

Well, after all we did have 28 formal nights and needed a little variety.

I wanted to order a hawaiian print vest and matching tie but DW didn't think that would be proper. On board we saw several of them. Now the one in the catalog with the looney tunes cartoon characters would have really been smashing... definitely would have been the proper choice to impress everyone at the captain's reception..

Grumpy

[quote name='Grumpy1']...Now the one in the catalog with the looney tunes cartoon characters would have really been smashing... definitely would have been the proper choice to impress everyone at the captain's reception..

Grumpy[/QUOTE]

Bugs Bunny is never unfashionable! :p

[b]It certainly would have "jollied"things along [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxuk149AXGB"][/url] [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxuk149AXGB"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_6.gif[/img][/url] [/b]

I would think the question presents the answer...a true gentleman would know to dress to suit (no pun intended!) not only the occasion, but also the expectations set forth in the dress code.

IMHO only!

Archived