What do you Gentlemen wear on Formal Night?

bepsf

What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?

• I wear a Tuxedo that I own.
    • I rent a Tux and wear that.
    • I bring a dark suit/blazer to wear.
    • I don't make any special efforts for formal night - I dress how I like.
    • I don't dine in the Main Restaurant on Formal Nights, so it doesn't matter.

That might take me a while...hmmm. I bow to your superior knowledge.

But in terms of the hat, it's only outdone by the spectator pumps! And since you seem to be showing me up in the movie trivia biz, all I can say is "it's Miss Renee Beauchamp to you, sir!:D "

well all I can say is "at least we have the stars"

Gee, she was caught by the mother in the car on deck...ala Titanic...yeah, steam those windows up.....I could go jack really, I could go......

Well you didn't guess the other movie Blazer boy...gee, neat name...is that because you go down in a blaze of glory? ooo la la la la la .

Your husband is a lucky guy........

And yes, I remember the shoes.........ahhhh, American Movie Classics almost as good as boxing.

And if I were Charlotte Vale's mother, I'd give you a setdown for your impertinance!:eek:

"Charlotte, could we kindly remember that we are hardly commercial travelers. It's bad enough to have to associate with these tourists on board. You're behaving like a hoydenish school girl, now sit and write someone." Or something like that.

Blazer refers to the most oft worn item in my wardrobe, and is a name from college days. And yes, for a variety of reasons, my husband is a lucky man, as am I.:)

Ok, so basically because I'm young I'll have no clue what you folks are talking about now huh? :o Got the double-breasted suit out of the closet tonight! The cruise is close. I can FEEL the sea breeze! (Ok, it's really a wind blowing in the window but I'll take it for satisfaction!) :rolleyes:

8 Days to Go!

Ok, so basically because I'm young I'll have no clue what you folks are talking about now huh? :o Got the double-breasted suit out of the closet tonight! The cruise is close. I can FEEL the sea breeze! (Ok, it's really a wind blowing in the window but I'll take it for satisfaction!) :rolleyes:

8 Days to Go!

Hi, Well I wear my kilt outfit on formal nights and I can certainly feel the "sea breeze", :) On my Panama Canal cruise on the Brilliance 18 months ago I went for a walk in the early hours on deck wearing my kilt after the bars closed. It was very windy that night and up on deck 13 I found myself walking around with my kilt up around my head. Good job there was no one about. I don't think you have to ask now "what is worn under the kilt"?

Cruisin' Material, Just checked out your pic, very nice indeed! Have fun on your Carnival Destiny cruise, wish I was going too, lol. You ever do Royal Caribbean? Hugh.

Hey Hugh,

LOL, I'm guessing you wear nothing under there then! LOL, that was a no brainer! :D As for sailing Royal Caribbean, no way will I sail them again. Even with an all-gay charter they stunk (to sum it up, can elaborate more if you wish just reply again). When sailing hetero cruises, I generally go with Princess, this will be a first for myself and my mom who has never sailed anything but Princess before. We're going to be on the Star Princess in October too. Giving gay cruises a break this year. I love Celebrity tho, which is own by RCI if that means something good! :confused:

~Jake

P.S. Thanks for the nice comments on the pic ;)

Hi Jake, I've only done two cruises both with RCI and enjoyed both very much, might have been lucky. I've never really fancied an all gay cruise as my impression of them is that they'd be a bit too intense. Maybe way off the mark there. I always assume that they're full of young guys into other young guys but maybe I'm wrong. I like uncomplicated younger guys who are into older guys. I have met some on the 2 hetero cruises I've done so that was a bonus. I took my mum and her friend on the last cruise but think a cruise on my own is on the cards for next time, more freedom, less worry, more fun, lol. So why didn't you like the RCI cruise? If it's a bit controversial you can email me at shugg_69@hotmail.com. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hugh.

It really depends on which ship as to if I dress in a dark suit or bring my tux along. For Holland America,and Delta Queen I wear a charcoal colored Brooks Brother suit with a bow tie for the dressy nights. With these two lines and others that I've been on the majority of gentlemen seem to wear dark suits or jackets. On Cunard I wear my tux for formal nights, and most other gentlemen are similarly attired.

My other half also follows the above guide lines sans the bow tie. Although during a RSVP cruise on NCL we both wore tuxes, but other times on NCL it was with a dark suit.

James, your reference, of course, is to the Awful Truth w/ Cary Grant. (Peice of cake!:D )

For the rest of you, meet my brother, James, who has, since birth, always tried to keep me honest! He, his husband and my nephew are going on the 'R Family cruise in July with Rosie O'Donnell. Wonder what the dress code is there? What does the casual-yet-chic Gay/Lesbian parent wear on a cruise? Wonder how many of the kids get little sailor outfits right before the cruise;) Let me know if he needs a festive frock, James.:D

Dyslexia is a terrible thing, James, and, as I said below, you try to keep me honest, not literate.:D

Just what the rest of you want to watch; a grammar/dress code cat fight between two gay siblings!:eek:

Dyslexia is a terrible thing, James, and, as I said below, you try to keep me honest, not literate.:D

Just what the rest of you want to watch; a grammar/dress code cat fight between two gay siblings!:eek:

Awww.... how cute! Talking about little sailor outfits and getting into a little cat fight! :) I skipped work today in favor of partying it up last night with the Ancient Babylon Tour, which was at Avalon in Boston last night! DJ Abel... great times (ok, I know I know... traveling circuit party). It was great though. I would highly suggest you check it out when it comes to your city.

To keep with fashion although not on formal nights: I wore Express Low-Rise Boot Cut Jeans frayed at the bottom and a nice muscle shirt from "E-Male" that I got in Barcelona, Spain last August! :) I don't really think I'll be able to wear that on a formal night! LOL...

6 Days Until Cruise Time!!!

At least we both know to air our dirty laundry on a thread about formal wear - very Dynasty!

BLAZER and BROTHER both gays boys . . . . who'da thunk!!!!

Actually, I think it's pretty cool - at least at family "gatherings" you have plenty to talk about!!!!

Yes, that's true. We figure that it was all the time we spent with our mother on ocean liners. She should have known by the interest we took in what she wore every night!! Seriously, certain perfumes can take me back to all the times we trailed my mother into a ship's dining room.

When on a highend cruise line (Crystal, Seabourne, Cunard QE2/QM2), we always wear tuxes on formal nights.

But it also depends on the cruise "type;" we are on a Princess repositioning cruise in Sept 05, which goes from Sea-Alaksa-Russia-Korea-Japan. I think this cruise will probably have an older crowd (:( ; we are both in 40s) and more experienced cruisers (altho I seldom say anyone has more experience "cruising" than me!;) ), so we will probably go formal on the designated nights.

But often, on the more relaxed cruise lines or on the more casual cruise itineraries, we simply decide on a day by day basis. We may go to a restaurant other than the main one and be casual. We may only dress in dark suit if we want to go semi-formal.

So, it all depends! :p How's that for a sorta-answer?

thou art an experienced cruise........Capt level or rear Admiral?.....yes there are categories for cruisers on ships.

Once you reach Admiral ,the next in a category all by itself is dock cruising. Let me tell you back in the 80's the docks in old San Juan....lordy lordy......

But in those days...cruising was an after midnight adventure on a ship....gents out strolling on deck past lights out were usually cruzin the deck...for all of you who remeber those experiences...you know what I am talkingabbout.....but ships were different, deck layout was not like it is on the new ships..........oh the good old days, up by a mid ship stack....memories, like the .......

Hi All, Is there really more gay guys on here than on the gay message board that I'm subscribed to? lol. All that talk about sailor suits, my gran made me one when I was 3 years old and the family wonder why I turned out the way I did. They love me just the same though. Well that's what they say anyhow. Well just about to book on the Coral Princess for the Panama Canal trip for the 23rd April next year. I'm going with two Californian women that I met on the Jewel cruise last month.

Shug.

Hey KevininSac. That wouldn't mean by chance that you are in Sacramento California would it neighbor ?? Gary and I always wear our Tux's on formal nights but I do take a change of vests, ties, and handkechiefs.Gary hates it and I sorta enjoy putting on the dog every once in a while. There something about drinking a snifter of cognac in a Tux.

Ok, there seem to be a few gay cruisers on this site that are doing the kilt for formal night! It's interesting to see this much interest. There was a fellow, straight, who was from the UK who was wearing one, come to think of it, on the Coral Princess cruise. Who knows, maybe I'll wear one again sometime soon for formal night!! :)

OK here's my husband....he has 4 kilts...and loves wearing them....and the women (and gay guys!) LOVE them! He just really loves wearing them he says, because they are so comfortable....

He's squinting in the sun.....his face really isn't that screwed up:D

As his wife....I dunno what's underneath or what isn't....lol....he has kilt pins to keep them from flying around in sea breezes!!!!!

Hugs!!

Mary

gregkiltdream2003.jpg.47b632713440428d88bca2f26e1aa44c.jpg

Hello Jake, Just popped in to see how you enjoyed your cruise on the Destiny? I came off the Jewel of the Seas just over a month ago and loved it. The Cruise Critic folk on it were just fantastic. Two of the women I met were from California and they've invited me to join them on a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess so I have. Booked it last week. It's the April 23rd 2006 one from Fort Lauderdale. Any chance you might be on it? :)

Shug.

This has to be one of the most interesting threads I've read since I found this site!! Funny funny funny. I LOVE the old movie references.

I'm going on my FIRST cruise next month (celebrity to bermuda) and am travelling with "the old ball and chain" and his family. These truly nice folks don't have "formal clothes", so I'm going to go dark suit. I use my tux numerous times a year and wear suits every day (I look great in the tux, or so the other half says, and I agree!! naturally), but I am making the ULTIMATE sacrifice and foregoing vanity for family comfort, harmony, and peace. Que the violins.........

So basically, I'll be wearing work clothes. Repeat, que the violins!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm just thrilled to be fulfilling a life-long dream to go on a cruise. Hope I like it and don't get sea-sick.

Archived