What do you Gentlemen wear on Formal Night?

bepsf

What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?

• I wear a Tuxedo that I own.
    • I rent a Tux and wear that.
    • I bring a dark suit/blazer to wear.
    • I don't make any special efforts for formal night - I dress how I like.
    • I don't dine in the Main Restaurant on Formal Nights, so it doesn't matter.

McBoo, you stole my line! Although I recently gave away my "thin" tux- I'm sure it shrunk when I "fell" in that hot tub.:eek: So now I have a "medium," which fits, priase Allah, and my heavy one, which I hope continues to rot in the back of my closet!

But if I change shape again, I'll just wait for Neiman's next "Last Call" sale and hope to score another $150. tux!

Let's see, on my very first cruise, which was straight and on Grand Princess, I was in a hurry to find some formal attire and so I ended up at Filenes! Being 18 at the time, I can't say that I was loaded so no tux here. I bought a nice double-breasted suit with vest and nice tie. Since then I've gotten more ties to go with the suit but have kept the suit. I only wear it when I'm on a cruise and since Atlantis crusies don't observe formal dining (sometimes I think it's a shame and others I couldn't be bothered with it).... I've only wore the suit a total of five times over two cruises (Coral and Grand Princess - all others were Atlantis charters in my signature).

~Jake

"A Healthy Obsession with Cruisin!"

Guest enjoycruises

Excuse my ignorance.....BUT does it matter if one is straight or gay as to how they dress? :confused:

Excuse my ignorance.....BUT does it matter if one is straight or gay as to how they dress? :confused:

It only matters when one is getting UNDRESSED!

I have my own tuxes & dinner jackets that I switch out depending on ship & itinerary!

EC--

Like many other discussions and polls on these boards, it really doesn't matter.

It's merely a topic of friendly discussion.

:)

Buying a tux when I lived in the South was smart - I got lots of party invites for being a single young man who could A) make conversation and b) show up in evening clothes on short notice.

I usually cruise with a tux, but I have been known to wear my kilt (in the somewhat minimalist fashion - I don't do the flashes/the fuzzy purse/the knife) on the second formal night on longer voyages.

The hazard, of course, is women who have had too many cocktails, wanting to know what's worn under my kilt. The answer, of course is "Absolutely nothing is worn; it's all in perfect working order".

Eric

I’ve cruised since 1990 and I look forward to formal night. Everyone talks about the ‘Why’ factory of dressing up. But formal night is still the most fun and even with all the fuss everyone is dressed to the nine. I carry two tuxedos, each with different lapels. Shirts are mostly standard. Dress it up with a great cummerbund that coordinates with my partner. Just to make sure to add some fun I wear clip on flashing lights over my shirt bottoms, instead of studs. Everyone has fun looking, taking pictures. One lady ask me what my ‘wife’ thought me of wearing the lights, I told her I was gay and could get by with anything. I have lot of fun cruising.

They're for a Halloween costume - I'd never wear them on a Crystal/Radisson/Silversea/Seabourn formal night. (Well, maybe in my cabin for someone special :eek: )

My! My! Have we gotten creative with formal night or what?! Now a kilt isn't so bad. I used to wear them when I was competing playing the bagpipes. I don't know if I would wear one on a cruise for fear of when I take my after dinner stroll that some rogue winds would sweep it up and well some old lady would have a heart attack. Not so much fun for her on the cruise any more! LOL ;)

Now, the flashing lights idea. Sounds good if you are on an all-gay cruise but a straight cruise? I don't know if I would be ballsy enough to wear an item! I might use flashing lights in the disco, giving it the party feel! After all, what night of a cruise am I not in the disco?! LOL :rolleyes:

18 More Days To Go! Yippee... I can smell the salt water now!

Gee, the perfect little black cocktail dress always works. A pair of Joan Crawford pumps..you know the ones with the hole in the toe and a little bow and spike heels sets the tone. Whether pearls complete the package depends on the cruise line........if its Carnival, its gold stretch pants , stillettos, and a rubber tube top..........that gets you lots of free drinks.

Other than that its my black tux on the first formal night and an ivory shawl collared dinner jacket on the second formal night to go with the tan from the cruise.

Heels on a rolling ship is hazardous......but provides an excuse to tumble and fall into the arms of the Italian staff captain..... Ciao baby

Gee, the perfect little black cocktail dress always works. A pair of Joan Crawford pumps..you know the ones with the hole in the toe and a little bow and spike heels sets the tone. Whether pearls complete the package depends on the cruise line........if its Carnival, its gold stretch pants , stillettos, and a rubber tube top..........that gets you lots of free drinks.

Other than that its my black tux on the first formal night and an ivory shawl collared dinner jacket on the second formal night to go with the tan from the cruise.

Heels on a rolling ship is hazardous......but provides an excuse to tumble and fall into the arms of the Italian staff captain..... Ciao baby

LOL... Captain Tom, you're a hoot! I don't know about dressing in drag for formal night but if it's your thing then by all means do it! Since Carnival is a party cruise line, I would love to try my Cher routine again (the only time I dressed up in drag was in college in Vermont... DON'T ASK! ROLFMAO! :rolleyes: )

Stick with the tux, you're safer that way ;)

Not me...I can't master the stupid shoes not to mention I am an ugly man...and I make an even uglier women......no way. But the thought of falling into the lap of an Italian officer......now that would be something I could do......scuuuuzay.....ciao bella ciao.

Capt. Tom,

I can't beleive you don't have a pair of black patent leather cha cha heels.

They might come in handy id vibeguy is on board in his kilt.

mcboo:D:D

For any of you that might be interested.....

I bought a 100 percent wool "light weight" tux and it is sooooooo comfortable to wear, particularly in warm weather. And oh, it takes up so much less space in a suitcase. The brand is Cassini. I bought mine at Burlington Coat Factory for under $150 (about a year ago)....a real bargain!

Now more to the subject........

I don't bring a tux with me if the cruise is less than 2 weeks. Because we mostly travel on Princess and choose Personal Choice Dining, there's really no need for anything more than a dark suit for formal nights....since your not eating with the same people every night, no one knows the differance whether your wearing the same outfit. However, I do try to change my look with different color dress shirts and ties, and with a contrasting pair of slacks, you now have a sport outfit.

In contrast, in my early days of cruising, I thought I had to wear a different tux or suit or sport coat on every formal or semi formal night. So on one long cruise, I brought 13 suits and a couple of sport coats with me. Can you imagine how many peices of luggage I had to bring????? My partner was not a happy camper when I pleaded with him to just carry "one more" peice of luggage for me when we were schlepping them through airports....oy vey, what a mistake!!! Thank God we were young and healty then!

J.

Cant handle the cha cha......Tango, Rumba, Foxtrot maybe......

Hey McBoo...why dont you and yours sail on the Atlantis trip in October on the Radiance.....not Seabourn but it could be fun...cocktails and people watching and more cocktails and people watching...till we go blind. You could teach me to walk in heels and I can throw out the spit shined boots.

So on one long cruise, I brought 13 suits and a couple of sport coats with me. Can you imagine how many peices of luggage I had to bring????? My partner was not a happy camper when I pleaded with him to just carry "one more" peice of luggage for me when we were schlepping them through airports....oy vey, what a mistake!!!

;) Dearest, that's why they invented luggage with wheels! But, at the rate I'm going, I'm going to have to invent luggage with wheels, brakes, a motor, and turn signals, but all in the name of fashion!:D The only advantage to a seven day cruise is that there's enough room in my luggage for day-blazers AND evening wear!

Rolling steamer trunks are what I need!

I can't believe how funny you guys are! Cha Cha, Mambo #5, hmm... you pick the song!

As for carrying several different outfits, I only carry the one suit. I don't know about bringing 13! That seems a little much. I do also agree with you about the Princess PC Dining and you being sat with random people each night so they wouldn't know the difference!

As for drinking and gawking on an Atlantis cruise. I have no quoroms there! :) Been there done that and hey, I might be young but I can people watch. It helps pass the time until the next party! :rolleyes:

Archived