What do you Gentlemen wear on Formal Night?

bepsf

What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?

• I wear a Tuxedo that I own.
    • I rent a Tux and wear that.
    • I bring a dark suit/blazer to wear.
    • I don't make any special efforts for formal night - I dress how I like.
    • I don't dine in the Main Restaurant on Formal Nights, so it doesn't matter.

Jake, Jake, Jake....While I might need a refresher course in Gay Diva Icons, you, my little Merrimack Valley friend, need to get out in Gay culture more!;) :D

Tafetta is a fabric that is/was used to make ladies' gowns. I'd try to explain more, but then I'd have to explaing things like crinolines and hoop skirts!

Andrew

Hmm... I need a gay culture course. I'll never deny that. I'd say if you had to rate me on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most knowledgable about fashion, I'd be a 1 :rolleyes:

I do pick up random things, such as what you have now explained and store them in a pile of memories that go under the title "random" :eek:

If you've seen the show, Dynasty, you've seen taffeta. If you went to the prom int he 80's, you've seen it. Shiny fabric.

Ok, now to make all of you guys scream bloody murder. :D I am just a wee young lad... at sprawling age of 23. I was born in late 1981! That means I didn't go to the prom until the late 1990's and I actually skipped mine! So, I still have no clue what the fabric looks like! :(

Oh well, I'm not very metrosexual either in my dress style, are you? :cool:

~Jake

Jake, we'll forgive you your trespasses, as long as you commit to making an effort to educate yourself. First step; Go watch the movie "The Women" with Norma Shearer until you can quote the manicurist scene by heart!

"That Crystal Allen's a real man trap! She has the kind of eyes that go up and down a man...like a searchlight"

Jake, we'll forgive you your trespasses, as long as you commit to making an effort to educate yourself. First step; Go watch the movie "The Women" with Norma Shearer until you can quote the manicurist scene by heart!

"That Crystal Allen's a real man trap! She has the kind of eyes that go up and down a man...like a searchlight"

As far as I know, I don't think the local Blockbuster has such a film! :( Maybe I'm better off not knowing too much? :rolleyes: I'll just stick with my double-breasted suit for formal nights and play it low keyed. Although those little flashy light items would be nice on this upcoming Carnival cruise but in October on Princess, NO WAY! ;)

If the local Blockbuster doesn't "have such a film," than you're living in the wrong town!

I'll let you slide because I'm getting so confused here - the metrosexual straight men that all look gay... the young gay men who have all the gay history knowledge of a pair of overalls...

...Oh my god, we're starting to blend in. Pretty soon we won't be able to tell gay from straight by the usual stereotypes!:eek: What's happening to the world!?!?!

;) :D

If the local Blockbuster doesn't "have such a film," than you're living in the wrong town!

I'll let you slide because I'm getting so confused here - the metrosexual straight men that all look gay... the young gay men who have all the gay history knowledge of a pair of overalls...

...Oh my god, we're starting to blend in. Pretty soon we won't be able to tell gay from straight by the usual stereotypes!:eek: What's happening to the world!?!?!

;) :D

Yeah, you'd have to have a mighty fine gaydar up in New England. The metrosexual thing has caught on something fierce up here and it's much harder to tell gay from straight based on clothing. The way I dress regularly I would be thrown into a straight-appearing category if you judged based on clothes alone. Now if I talk, that's different... lol :rolleyes:

Ah, I'll give up the gay culture routine, I have to start prepping for my last three college courses this summer. Learning & Behavior, Economics and Statistics... just in time for the cruise! UGH! :mad:

Dont forget the nail polish.....Jungle red. Wasn't Joan Crwaford Fabulous as Cystal Allen....But that was the Black and White version...i think Joan Collins was in the remake in color......not that I know anything about old movies...

Joan Collins was a TRAVESTY in that remake, like Lucy in "Mame." But you're right, Captain Tom, I don't know much about old movies either...:D

"Oh no, not that one Crystal. Steven doesn't like anything that obvious"

Norma Shearer as Mary Haines

"When something I'm wearing doesn't please Stephen, I take it off"

Joan Crawford as Crystal Allen

(O.K., so I paraphrased a little)_

O.k., Jake, now you're just baiting us. :p

I have nieces and nephews your age, and get a kick out of the drek that they show up with as the latest fashions, only to look like Michael J. Fox in "Back to the Future":eek:

Get thee to a Banana Republic, and you find all the metrosexual fashion you could want. And don't tell me they don't have those there. There's one less than 30 miles away at the Chestnut Hill Mall on Rte. 9. Probably even a BR outlet in Kittery.

And take a trip to Glad Day on Boylston St. in the City- pick up some Gay culture/history books and READ! You don't have to become someone else, but you should know what came before!:D Michael J. Fox, indeed!

O.k., Jake, now you're just baiting us.

I have nieces and nephews your age, and get a kick out of the drek that they show up with as the latest fashions, only to look like Michael J. Fox in "Back to the Future"

Get thee to a Banana Republic, and you find all the metrosexual fashion you could want. And don't tell me they don't have those there. There's one less than 30 miles away at the Chestnut Hill Mall on Rte. 9. Probably even a BR outlet in Kittery.

And take a trip to Glad Day on Boylston St. in the City- pick up some Gay culture/history books and READ! You don't have to become someone else, but you should know what came before! Michael J. Fox, indeed!

Being from the west coast, it's rather scary you can tell me places to shop. I know there is a BR in Faniuel Hall at the end by the Marriot. I just don't shop there - it's too expensive. I'm an Express for Men kind of guy. As for Dr from back to the future fashion. White jackets are in now. Didn't someone tell you?! :rolleyes:

A co-worker told me I looked very metrosexual today. Wore my low-rise jeans and a designer long sleeve print shirt! So I must be on the right track to some thing... although what, the jury is still out on that! :eek:

As for gay culture... well I have to shop for textbooks for the summer semester so forget about gay literature for now! Sorry... :(

Being from the west coast, it's rather scary you can tell me places to shop.
:eek: See, THIS is just the kind of education these young gays need! They a.) need to know good shopping districts in every major city, and b.) know where to get the same clothes on sale! ;)

(In fairness, before you berate yourself for yet another gay skill that you think you might not posess, I grew up in West Springfield and Marion, lived at various times in Boston, Cambridge and Newton, and went to school years ago in Southborough, so I'm not exactly a Massachusetts virgin.:D Wait, is that what I meant to say?)

I like to dress up for dinner on a cruise. Love to see everyone dressed up for the night, not just for dinner then go back to the cabin and change(very tacky IMHO)

next cruise is to Alaska so I may rent a tux to save space for the outdoor gear and rain gear.

Dan

On our last cruise, we stayed dressed the whole evening the first formal night and then changed for the rest of the evening the second formal night. It was just too hot and humid and the ship was having a hard time keeping up on the AC. A purser told us a part of the problem is people keeping their balconey doors open with bungey cords. Oy!

I wouldn't say that changing after dinne ris tacky but it would be my preference not to, if I can avoid it. Hopefully, the Constellation will have better cooling.

See, THIS is just the kind of education these young gays need! They a.) need to know good shopping districts in every major city, and b.) know where to get the same clothes on sale!

(In fairness, before you berate yourself for yet another gay skill that you think you might not posess, I grew up in West Springfield and Marion, lived at various times in Boston, Cambridge and Newton, and went to school years ago in Southborough, so I'm not exactly a Massachusetts virgin. Wait, is that what I meant to say?)

Ah, now that explains it... so you've been here! LOL, I'm like, if you went out and did the research all on your own for places for me to go shopping, I'd think you had too much time on your hands! ;) I'll eventually get everything figured out. I live through experiences and get educated by everyday life (unless it's school, then well, I use the books and stuff :D ).

As for getting back on topic, my apologies for going off topic. I'm just so excited to be going on the upcoming cruise. I'm four months over do now! I usually do Atlantis in January but those had gotten too circuity with drugged out twinks (not my crowd). To get back on topic, I do generally wear my formal double-breasted suit for the entire evening. Even to the disco on the second formal night (don't want to get sweaty in it the first night because I need to re-use it again!!!) :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that changing after dinne ris tacky but it would be my preference not to, if I can avoid it. Hopefully, the Constellation will have better cooling.

Also, I just wanted to mention that great looking formal attire can be had on ebay as well as the local goodwill industries stores.

Happy Shopping!

Nordstrom Rack stores do some *amazing* blowout sales on tuxes once or twice a year. It's worth finding out when, as I bought my last one for like 20 cents on the dollar, and it is both well-made and tasteful.

My charming partner, who is hell to fit (bears, what can you do?) is clad in (gasp) one liberated at the annual sale from a local rental chain. Surprisingly, it's not a badly-made suit (sewn rather than fused interfacings, for example) and with some tailoring, it does *not* look like a rental. Yes, someone's worn it, and they've probably got it all nasty, but it's been professionally drycleaned after every wearing and you can tell before you buy if it's in good shape or not, unlike random rentals where you're taking what they give you.

Eric

We each bring a tux, a dinner jacket and a suit and change the vests... my mad parrots vest always gets the looks ;) . I know we look fab, everyone always tells us so once the first formal pics are posted! ( Thank God for good genes and a husband that looks like Tom Selleck!) Kilts might be cool (pun intended) but where oh where in the land of cowboys and ranchers would we find a shop... Ebay? Kilts Are Us? Perhaps just a couple of simple taffeta vests with flashing cufflinks? And we do stay dressed for the evening, makes the gaming tables more 007ish :cool:

Kev:

Actually, a great way to buy a kilt is to visit your friendly local Highland Games celebration (2nd weekend in August in your case), find the best-looking guy who is roughly your size who looks good in his kilt, and find out who made his. This is one of those pesky places where bespoke work is worth the money. There will also be various vendors there who will be happy to help you spend a little money.

Sadly, I bought mine pre-owned from a kilt hire shop (the Scottish equivalent of Mr. Formal Rent-A-Tux) and had it altered to fit. Once I got past the horror that random men with no skivvies had got what was now *my* kilt all soggy with god knows what, I was happy to realize I'd saved serious money. I have absolutely no legitimate claim to the tartan, but my family's colors are fugly and this one looks better on.

Eric

We each bring a tux, a dinner jacket and a suit and change the vests... my mad parrots vest always gets the looks ;) . I know we look fab, everyone always tells us so once the first formal pics are posted! ( Thank God for good genes and a husband that looks like Tom Selleck!) Kilts might be cool (pun intended) but where oh where in the land of cowboys and ranchers would we find a shop... Ebay? Kilts Are Us? Perhaps just a couple of simple taffeta vests with flashing cufflinks? And we do stay dressed for the evening, makes the gaming tables more 007ish :cool:

There are few stores online that specialize in Kilt sales. Geoffrey Tailor's out of the UK is usually at Highland Games including the biggest regional gathering in New England. The New Hampshire Highland Games, formerly at Loon Mountain, now at Hopkinton State Fair Grounds just outside of Manchester, NH. I realize you live in Oregon but scope out the vendor tents at those games. It seems like there is a high concentration of Scottish in the New England area and therefore, the local vendors appear more abundant. Not sure how the west coast is! Search for it online. I'm sure you'll come up with loads of places. Google is my fav! :rolleyes:

As for the buying used tux ideas. I will look into these bargains. The prom season is coming to a close so with my budget and slightly obsessive addiction to cruising, I should be able to find something! ;)

~Jake

Happy Friday the 13th folks!

SO .....YOU ARE A DUTY EXPERT ON MOVIES.

I hope we meet so you can teach me........we can discuss Susan Hayward and her broken leg (from the seaplane wreck) leaning on the piano singing to the service men......wearing tacky dresses.......guess what movie......

Not so familiar with Susan Hayward films....but "With a Song in my Heart" seems to fit the bill. (O.k., I cheated and googled her)

Cap't Tom, seems like we'll be teaching each other a thing or two! (about MOVIES, you gutterminds!);)

My brother and I can practically go line for line for most of either "Auntie Mame" or "Now Voyager." Makes for fun dinner parties (groan!) But he's more likely to break into song lyrics from musicals than I am. Mom wonders how she got so lucky to have the two of us.:D We both like old movies, decorating, antiques, fashion, entertaining, but, no, we're not a stereotype or anything:eek:

And to keep this on topic, that last film truly shows how to dress for dinner on a cruise in the Tropics!

Now the hat Miss Bochon wears when she gets off the ship for the tour is fabbbbbbbbulous. The butterfly ensemble is a bit much, but the laundry tag gives it that perfect little touch......not that I know anything about the movie nor the ivory boxes Betty carves.......

So you cheat......here is one for you.....they crucified him for the design of the Wainright Building........name of Architect and the movie...this IS my all time favourite movie.....above all others......gives some insight as to me as a person.

Blazer boy...book the ATlantis trip in October and we can movie all week.......what fun.....with a song in my heart....la la la la la

I hope to go as Carmen Maranda...fruit and all.

Archived