What do you Gentlemen wear on Formal Night?

bepsf

What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What do you Gentlemen wear for Formal Night?

• I wear a Tuxedo that I own.
    • I rent a Tux and wear that.
    • I bring a dark suit/blazer to wear.
    • I don't make any special efforts for formal night - I dress how I like.
    • I don't dine in the Main Restaurant on Formal Nights, so it doesn't matter.

I try to be a packing minimalist. Only one tuxedo for me and one for my DH. I'll wear different studs on the second formal night. On our last cruise, formal nights were Christmas and New Year's Eve. I brought a silver cummerbund and tie for the second one--thinking I could go a little more festive. Never imagined wearing flashing lights. (Although I did look stunning when I dressed as Liza Minelli on our first cruise--back when they had costume parties on all cruises. The assistant cruise director said my makeup look very good, "maybe a little too good.")

The thing I've noticed is that there will be more men wearing tuxedos who are repeat cruisers, at least on Princess and Celebrity. It's been a long time since we sailed on RCI, so I don't remember if that holds true on their ships.

My partner and I always wear a tux on formal nights. We love dressing up, and.....we have so much fun accessorizing with different combinations of vests, ties (of different styles), cummerbunds, etc!!!!

My dears, at risk of revealing my age, there were NO wheels on luggage in those days....everything was hand-carried, believe it or not! You don't remember when luggage didn't have wheels???.....well then, you must all be pishers. Yes, I agree, taking 13 suits to wear on a cruise is a bit outrageous, but then, I've always been a little outrageous. We're all made differently, aren't we?

Blazerboy....

Don't even consider buying a steamer trunk! We borrowed a Louie something or other steamer trunk from a friend and a wheel broke off in transit to our cabin. Can you imagine what it was like pushing that sucker around from place to place?? And when we returned home, the first thing we did was to take that dang trunk to the Louie something or other store (on Rodeo Drive). If I remember correctly, it cost us 2 bills for the repairs. You know the moral of the story.

Jerry

No, Jerry, I well remember. I just am trying hard not to give up my clothes-horse ways. I turned to Ed in bed last night and reminded him that today was the deadline for the White Star Luggage Program for Cunard for our upcoming cruise, and please...PLEASE...couldn't they come and pack up our closets? He demured.:mad:

My husbear and I wear kilts -- we go the whole way with it. Brings a lot of good attention.

On our last cruise, a gentleman came over and said his daughter was begging him to rent a kilt for her wedding in Scotland the following summer and after seeing us, he knew it looked really good.

On my first cruise, a few days after formal night I was sitting naked in the sauna and a guy took one look at me and asked if that was my family tartan I was wearing on formal night.

Ok, there seem to be a few gay cruisers on this site that are doing the kilt for formal night! It's interesting to see this much interest. There was a fellow, straight, who was from the UK who was wearing one, come to think of it, on the Coral Princess cruise. Who knows, maybe I'll wear one again sometime soon for formal night!! :)

Just like us men to take over this thread! :rolleyes:

Obervations: The women that I've met on cruises mostly opted for somewhere between the lipstick/satin and the comfortable layered cottons- some of the outfits were like those gauzy pants with long matching jacket-dresses over them- very Morrocan- and strappy sandals and some big bead jewelry; they looked very nice. Asian and Indian influenced clothing- mandarin collared jackets or version of saris looked great on formal nights, and seemed really fun. But I love seeing a woman in a tux ALMOST as much as I like a man in one!;)

Hope that helps anyone new to cruising who might be wondering.:)

CruisinMaterial- Gay card violations are VERY serious, but, as you see, even a veteran like me can screw up a reference. Just happy everyone here seems to have given me a pass on my hideous diva-reference faux pas!:D

Well, THAT'S JUST GREAT, now I have to turn in my gender card, too.:( Can't keep from confusing all these divas and fashion polls.

But, gentlemen, think how great it would be with all the women in tuxes, and us all in those gauzy things I described? It'd look like a Bea Arthur look-a-like contest! :D

I don't know about that one Blazer Boy! Welcome back to the male side of the house! LOL ;)

How to know you're having a bad Cinco de Mayo:

You go over to the fax machine and type in the fax machine's phone number, hit the send button and then walk away, you come back expecting a print out showing a confirmation the fax was ok but instead get a copy of what you just faxed! LOL. I just faxed it to myself! What a day! What a day! :eek:

When's my cruise again?!

I never got that intense, but then I remember taking the Military stuff for formal nights.

Dress blue uniform

Black shoes

Garter belts to keep sock uo, shirt tails down

Medals

Shooting badges

Rank insignia

Cover (hat)

Gloves

Belt with brass tip and buckle

Then there was the dress whites

Uniform

Accessories Decorations, insignia

special socks'

white shoes

While cover (hat)

Gloves...yes with snaps

Then the suits for the other evenings......

The uniforms were problematic in that they could not be wrinkled and you could not send them out to be cleaned.....

BUT......at a cocktail partay.......click click, snap snap, you got run of the ship.......and lots of, how should we say........festive moment. Oh, those were the days.

AAhhh....BW....the formal Kilt. MY FAVORITE!!! I think they are so elegant. Partner and I shopped for one in Scotland last year and the least expensive get-up we found was $1800 bucks!! Yikes!!! :eek:

And yes.....I'll bite. Undies or no undies????

AAhhh....BW....the formal Kilt. MY FAVORITE!!! I think they are so elegant. Partner and I shopped for one in Scotland last year and the least expensive get-up we found was $1800 bucks!! Yikes!!! :eek:

I invite anyone who wants to know to check out underneath themselves.

The rule is you have to stay there for 10 minutes.

We wore dark suits on the Navigator last week. I would say that 1/5 of the folks were in tuxes, 1/2 in suits or blazers and the rest in anything from golf shirts and khakis on down to shorts.

When I wore mine back in my teenage years, mom required undies to be worn under them but you're not supposed to if you're a true Scot! Most of the folks at the Highland Games up this way do not wear underwear, or so I've noticed :eek:

I must have them - where can I get some???:D

If you MUST have some circuit gear try this site....oh yeah, I've bought stuff from them and it's actually pretty great stuff and at MY age who would have thought I'd still be doing that....well ya gotta be ready at Southern Decadence and GayDays @ Disney :D

http://www.clubthings.com/

Good luck......and hey, the idea of using the tiny flashing lites as tux "studs" is a GREAT one!! Glad someone thought of THAT......afterall I'm sailing on Carnival...what the heck!!

Blazerboy,

Too bad you guys don't live closer, cause Kirk would have packed your bags for you.

Packing clothes was part of Kirk's job description (costume designer)....and it would have only cost you the price of a double vodka martini (maybe tripple). Of course, you have other options; fly us up for the day!

Later....Jerry

Thanks for the offer, Jerry. Are you sure you didn't want to visit S.F. next weekend? The weather's supposed to be great, and I have a few unopened bottles of Vodka and Gin. All Kirk needs to bring is the tissue to pack my tafetta!;)

Thanks for the offer, Jerry. Are you sure you didn't want to visit S.F. next weekend? The weather's supposed to be great, and I have a few unopened bottles of Vodka and Gin. All Kirk needs to bring is the tissue to pack my tafetta!;)

Ok, I'm a sucker... what's a tafetta?

Jake, Jake, Jake....While I might need a refresher course in Gay Diva Icons, you, my little Merrimack Valley friend, need to get out in Gay culture more!;) :D

Tafetta is a fabric that is/was used to make ladies' gowns. I'd try to explain more, but then I'd have to explaing things like crinolines and hoop skirts!

Andrew

Archived