Alaskan Cruise prices wayyyy down this summer

mouse0217

Anyone else notice who inexpensive the cruise prices are this summer?

Just today my cruise (June 3rd on the Pearl) have dropped to $399 inside gaurantee and $899 for a balcony gaurantee!

We paid more than that. We were able to upgrade a few weeks ago when it was a bit lower but called NCL again and said we could only get one free upgrade after final payment. I appreciate the upgrade though (I know they did not have to do anything after final payment), but it is a little dissapointing to see such a drastic lowering of rates. =(

I have noticed many other cruises through out the summer have dropped as well!

Guess occupancy is not very high this summer.

This is the time of the year when there is often a big dump of unsold cabins particularly for late summer and fall itineraries. This year with increased sailings to Alaska this is not surprising at all. Certainly if you are not fussy about which cabin you want, this is the time to wait for.:)

As a San Diego native who watches the business in her hometown, there has been a big controversy over the cruise ships not using our port anymore. However, the cruise lines still want to be on the west coast for parts of the year, so I think many of them added itineraries up in Alaska instead of getting too close to Mexico. We in SD always knew the violence down South would creep up and affect us. Hopefully, people will figure out San Diego is not Mexico and the cruise lines will return to the brand new cruise docks we built just for them!

As a San Diego native who watches the business in her hometown, there has been a big controversy over the cruise ships not using our port anymore. However, the cruise lines still want to be on the west coast for parts of the year, so I think many of them added itineraries up in Alaska instead of getting too close to Mexico. We in SD always knew the violence down South would creep up and affect us. Hopefully, people will figure out San Diego is not Mexico and the cruise lines will return to the brand new cruise docks we built just for them!

Just curious, has the new dock and terminal opened? When we were there in December it was built but mired in some legal battle that was keeping it from being used.

I noticed a huge price drop on our Celebrity cruise this summer. We already made final payment...however, our travel agent was able to move us to a suite guarantee for an additional $70.00 per person. Well worth it! Who knows...maybe we'll get a Royal Suite :)

I need to clarify something. When can you get an upgrade? Only when prices drop? First time cruiser here, so I am clueless. :o

You can get an "upgrade" anytime. Especially is you pay. :) For free upgrades, "can" happen after final payment, but sometimes mean very little, only moving you up a floor or two.

When I booked us for a cruise tour, my TA was shocked at the price. We're going for 12 nights in late July. We're paying about the same as we paid for a 7-night cruise a few years ago.

We were able to get some $ back on our cabins when they first dropped, but not now since we've made the final payment. Dave & I could upgrade, but then we wouldn't be on the same deck as Mom's inside cabin (she can't upgrade) so I figured I'd just leave it as is.

Had we known just HOW low it would be dropping we would have waited!

I did notice, which is why I just booked a cruise last night that leaves next Friday! Found airfare that wasn't too bad, now to find a hotel in a hotel in Vancouver for the night before.

You may care to check Hotwire, they often offer a 4* hotel on Downtown-West side for about $135. It usually ends up being the Sheraton at the Wall Centre, Sutton Place or the Westin Bayshore Inn. All excellent hotels in great areas.

Just today my cruise (June 3rd on the Pearl) have dropped to $399 inside gaurantee and $899 for a balcony gaurantee!

We paid more than that. We were able to upgrade a few weeks ago when it was a bit lower but called NCL again and said we could only get one free upgrade after final payment. I appreciate the upgrade though (I know they did not have to do anything after final payment), but it is a little dissapointing to see such a drastic lowering of rates. =(

When I read your post this morning, the first thing I did was to check the prices on our upcoming NCL Alaskan cruise. Sure enough, prices were way down as compared to what we paid. Knowing we were well after the final payment date, I figured nothing could be done. However, I called NCL because I noticed online that 2 side by side aft balcony cabins had just become available (we need 2 cabins). It appeared that someone else was trying to book these very cabins, so NCL offered to upgrade us for free to a balcony mini-suite, or I could gamble and stay on hold for 30 minutes to see if the other cabins were released. I was initially told there would be a $140 per cabin charge for the upgrade. After the 30 minute hold time, the representative came back, announced that he was now holding both cabins for me. We promptly booked them and he gave me a FREE upgrade on both! I am super excited! I know that NCL does not have to do this, especially after final payment date. I just wanted to let you know and thank you for your post because had I not read it, I would not have even thought to attempt an upgrade.

I am so glad this post helped other people. =)

I was just venting because I wish I would have waited to book the cruise. Initially, everyone said Alaskan cruises only increase in price .... I know no one has a crystal ball.

So I am extremely happy and jealous of all of you who get to take advantage of these bottom prices!!!! LOL

Lesson learned! :)

Once again cruise critic has come through! I have a cruise booked on the Norwegian Pearl this summer for my parents, myself, and my brother (birthday present to our parents this year). I called today And was able to upgrade us all from obstructed view rooms to rooms with the large UNobstructed ocean view at no charge! Even though we have paid our final payments. I'm not usually the type to call and ask for things like that (I'm usually pretty shy), but I figured the worst they could do was say no....but they said yes! Thanks everyone (and NCL)!

Just go my personal email on the sales so sad I have no vacation time till EOY :mad:

Now I will be watching the prices on my September Cruise like a hawk to see if they drop. So far still higher than when we booked in October.

Not that I expect it to matter a lot since there are 3 groups in our party and I doubt we could swing upgrades putting us side by side.

Archived