Wine Shopping in Civitavecchia

BigGreenFan

As has been mentioned here before, there is a Carrefour Market (large European market chain, but the market itself is small by US standards) located about 3 blocks east and 1 block north of the "castle" gate entrance to the port where the free port shuttles load.

The selection of local wines is good, and the prices are great.

Suggest a yahoo map and an internet search of the market's website for solid directions. We stumbled upon it, but it was not hard to find.

Hi, last year I totally forgot to get some wine in Rome, so once we checked in to the ship we ran back out into Civitavecchia - we found a local market stall area several blocks up the main road. At the time (it was around 2pm) some of the stalls were starting to wind down - i wish we had got there earlier, it looked like a good place to browse through!

Anyway, there was a butcher stall - almost shop like, and they had some wines. I asked about the wines, and it turned into a lovely tasting adventure! a french man came by, he told me the wines were lovely, he spoke Italian very fluently and he asked the lady working, to open up some wine for us to taste. We tasted the wine, she then offered us slices of salamis, hams etc - we ended up staying an hour or so, tasting lots of wines and meats and having a terrific time, laughing over the language barriers and trying to communicate in our poor Italian, weak French, and bits of English.

I will go there again in October, I wish I could remember the name of the wines, but it was 7 euros a bottle, and completely delightful!

Enjoy!

I too am interested in buying some wine to take on board before embarkation. I have never got on the ship and then back off on embarkation day, is this fairly simple? Do they know if you brought wine on the first time and then were to bring it on again? When/ where do they check your wine and how do they know if 1 person brought 2 bottles for the room or if 2 brought 1 each? I would like to bring in a few bottles to enjoy on the balcony if possible. In my last X cruise out

Of Miami I had a bottle in my carry on but nothing was said or checked.

Hi, in response to getting off the ship on embarkation day, it was very easy, we embarked - ran to the room and dropped off the valuables etc. Then we just got off (like any other port) got the bus to the port entrance and then walked.........we each had 3 bottles of wine and made sure to enter the ship not as a 'visible couple' for the xray area. Hope this helps!

• 9 months later...

Cruiser Bruce. Would you suggest we get our wine prior to embarking on our cruise? We are landing in Rome and immediately going to the port in Civitavecchia. If we embark and then get off the boat to buy wine, will they confiscate it? I would like to get some Italian wines instead of getting wine in Canada and bringing it to Italy.

Cruiser Bruce. Would you suggest we get our wine prior to embarking on our cruise? We are landing in Rome and immediately going to the port in Civitavecchia. If we embark and then get off the boat to buy wine, will they confiscate it? I would like to get some Italian wines instead of getting wine in Canada and bringing it to Italy.

The key here would be what cruise line, and what are their policies on bringing wine onboard? You can find their policies on the board for that cruise line, and on that cruise line's website.

Edit: From looking at your past posts, I see you are on Celebrity. I don't know Celebrity's policy, but if they allow it, no reason not to buy some. I wouldn't bring any from Canada.

What do you mean by "Visible couple". New to cruising and don't understand this term.

Thanks!

I believe what the poster means is this:

Some cruiselines allow you to bring on a certain number of bottles of wine per stateroom. For argument's sake, say it's 2 bottles.

By separating and going through the x-ray point on their own, each person could presumably claim that he/she was carrying on the 2 allowable bottles for their stateroom. Net result: 4 bottles.

I don't get the whole smuggling issue, but some people seem to devote considerable time and effort to getting around the system.

I don't get the whole smuggling issue, but some people seem to devote considerable time and effort to getting around the system.

I am with you totally...people spend thousands and thousands of dollars to go on a cruise, then smuggle booze to save a couple of bucks.

Not looking to smuggle, just looking to get some nice Italian wine to enjoy on our balcony. We are allowed 2 bottles. Being new to this, I'm hearing that the prices on board the ship for wine/drinks is very high? If that's the case, I would think that's why people do it.

The wine you can get in the ports in Italy is good stuff, with a much wider variety than what the cruise line can stock. You can try wines that are lovely, inexpensive, and outside what is normally exported to the US. It could be worth a little smuggling if you don't have time to try a good selection when ashore. :o

Archived