Questions on med cruise

I posted this on my roll call but thought it might get an answer here sooner.

Can anyone tell me which currency they use in Kusadasi?

I know we will use euros for most of the trip, and USD for return to US. Can anyone suggest how much USD they think we should take with us on the trip?

They accepted Euros in Kusadasi a year ago.

I'll suggest what we do for our trips to Europe:

We opened a Schwab Bank account online, and fund it with $1,000 - $1,500 before we go. Schwab refunds any ATM fees on the closing date each month. So, we use the ship's ATM for US dollars, and local ATM's in port for local currency with the Schwab ATM card. There are always ATM's in the cruise terminals or very close to them.

When we get home, I just withdraw the remaining money and use to pay off the balance of our Capital One credit card. Cap1 doesn't charge any overseas transaction fee.

We've been doing this on our last 3 trips over the pond, and also did this in Australia. It works very well.

I posted this on my roll call but thought it might get an answer here sooner.

Can anyone tell me which currency they use in Kusadasi?

I know we will use euros for most of the trip, and USD for return to US. Can anyone suggest how much USD they think we should take with us on the trip?

We used Euros in Kusadasi last summer.

Currency in Kusadasi is the Turkish Lira. Can't advise about USD..... I can spend as much as I take.... :eek:

Turkish Lira...but they are happy to take Euros or Dollars...just know the current exchange rate. Hope you visit Ephesus...happy sailing.:)

As far as your question about US Dollars, I would not think you need to take much...most everything is in Euros and if you are getting Euros your best bet is to get them beforehand in the US by ordering them from your bank, and/or from an ATM in Europe. Most merchants accept major credit cards for purchases, primarily Visa or mastercard (but suggest if you have multiple cards you call each to ask about their processing fees and foreign currency fees as they do vary by credit card issuer!!). I cant think of much that US Dollars are needed for, other than if you are paying your shipboard gratuities with cash, rather than prepaying or charging them to your shipboard account.

ps---when you visit Ephesus, highly suggest that you pick a tour that includes the Terrace Houses...they are very interesting!

Thanks to everyone. So helpful.

So I realize now I can get USD on the ship in the atm if I need more than I take with me.

As to the euro: I went to my bank to purchase only 200 figuring I'd get the rest in europe at an atm as suggested on the boards.

The manager of bank says I am wrong, that it is better to purchase from them as they only charge $5 per transaction. So I purchase 700 euros and when I get home and check the exchange rate, I paid much more than that. She didn't tell me that while the exchange rate was 1.25, they charge 1.30, then they add on other foriegn exchange fees and total cost was more like $50 over the actual exchange.

Well it's done, not going to cry over spilled milk, but will get the rest at an atm in Rome.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.

As far as your question about US Dollars, I would not think you need to take much...most everything is in Euros and if you are getting Euros your best bet is to get them beforehand in the US by ordering them from your bank, and/or from an ATM in Europe. Most merchants accept major credit cards for purchases, primarily Visa or mastercard (but suggest if you have multiple cards you call each to ask about their processing fees and foreign currency fees as they do vary by credit card issuer!!). I cant think of much that US Dollars are needed for, other than if you are paying your shipboard gratuities with cash, rather than prepaying or charging them to your shipboard account.

ps---when you visit Ephesus, highly suggest that you pick a tour that includes the Terrace Houses...they are very interesting!

Agree about Terrace Houses...they're great! It seemed to me that most places actually took all 3 currencies. We never needed to get Lira, though. Our tour company asked for dollars. I think we used some euros and some dollars when doing local shopping. It was really not a big deal in the touristy areas at all.

We are doing a half day tour that includes Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. Thank you again to everyone. You are all wonderful.

We just got back from Splendour last week and except for feeding the slot machines onboard the only US dollars we used was in Kusadasi to pay for our tour which was $50 per person. For purchases in Turkey I used euros. Have a great time, I have been working a picture review, check it out for a few tips.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1638871

Bill

Archived