Favorite thing to do in Key West

cpdawgs

I can't think of any Manatee excursions in Key West. Its my favorite place on earth and I'm just not thinking of any manatees down there.

Thre is a lot of history, shopping and plenty of eating and drinking.

The Butterfly pavillion is excellent. Touring Hemingways place is always great.

Great hassle-free shopping all up and down Duval Street.

You got Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville. The worlds best conch fritters at the Conch Shack (next to the Hog's Breath).

You also have the Conch tour train which will show you all the hotspots.

I really recommend just walking around the town and stopping when you see something you like.

If you're a cat person, I HIGHLY recommend Hemingway's house. Otherwise, walk up and down the streets. So many neat shops and restaurants along the way.

We just walked off the ship and idid not pay for any excursion. We walked down to the Hemingway house, bought a dual ticket for the Hemingway house and the Mel Fischer Museum. Then we continued down the street to the Southern Most Point, took a picture, checked out the beach, and then back up past all the art galleries, checked out a bunch of them, and had lunch at Hog's breath. (it's more about the name, than the service or the food) Then we went to to the Fischer Museum, and then headed back up to the ship. I need to go back to Key West, and check out the cemetary-Famous for the graves stone " I told you I was sick" and the Memorial for the Spanish Maine. Enjoy, it's a wonderful port to wander around in.

Wish I knew the heavenly place we ate lunch one afternoon. We were on the trolley tour and had just finished a couple of stops. The tour guide stopped at this marina area (lots of boats, etc) and recommended an open air but covered restaurant to have lunch! It was awesome. Great eats and drinks plus we could look at water.

I loved Key West but have to admit that both times I visited (early June and once in July) they had record breaking heat (and humidity)! Lucky us! :eek:

We paid $29.99 per person for the City Trolley Tour. The driver had lived in Key West for 40 years. He knew the history of every brick. He was funny. Droll. He would say something..you would ride along and then suddenly get what he said..and lol.

I have spent five times as much on tours as we did on that one...and that one was one of the two best we have taken. It was a get on and get off train. 8 designated stops. All of the big areas.

I would do the same tour..but get off at the little white house and Hemingway's house. If you did every stop..that would make a day. And I would have a Key West crushed ice drink. It was hot and they looked so good.

Going on a 5 day in October and wondering what your favorite thing to do in Key West is.....I would love to see some manatees! suggestions would be appreciated!

There is a manatee or two that hang around the wharf area by A&B Lobster House. Have seen them many times when in Key West. Another great place is Dante's. A bar/restaurant with a great swimming pool. Schooner Wharf Bar is an open air restaurant where Michael McCloud plays 6 afternoons a week. great to listen to. Irish Kevin's on Duval Street can be very entertaining.

Pat

We loved Key West. We took the City Trolley tour, then visited the Butterfly Conservatory, and shopped at Kinis for sandals. We ate lunch at Bo's-great conch fritters. We also visited the Mel Fischer Museum.

I loved walking around.

When I went my plan was the hit the Aquarium (small, but cute, and admission lets you come and go all day... I went back later on, saw the tour with another person got a shark tooth from him)

I also found the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum.... when I find out I'm going to a place that has one, I try to go... it humours me.

But I loved exploring the streets to get there...

Key West is my absolute favorite port also..and we just got back yesterday from our cruise to St. Thomas/St. John & St. Maarten. And until I just read one of your replies..I never really thought about the fact that you can walk up and down the streets and nobody be trying to sell you stuff. Key West is the best! Both times we have been there we walked around the entire time and just looked at things. And before you know it is time to get back on the ship.

Do take the Cityview Trolley tour, but not through the ship. They charge $29.99 pp where you can book it yourself for $19 there, or ahead of time online for $17! The drivers are fantastic with all their knowledge. We rode a complete tour first, then went a second time and got off at several stops. And Kermits for the best key lime pie! Go to Kino's for some sandals. We didn't have long in port, I'd like to go again and do Hemingway's house and the butterfly conservatory. My husband did the pub crawl as a ship's excursion and really enjoyed it. It's a great place, enjoy your time there!

We rented bikes from Eaton Bikes and did our own leisurely tour of the island, stopping only where we wanted and for as long as we cared to. It was LOVELY and I HIGHLY recommend it!

Sigh.... I miss KW!

Archived