Check out the cruise air forum

Mom2B&Z

Specifically the thread about United Airlines dropping pre boarding for people with kids.

I honestly didn't think I was being that far off base with my comments about needing extra time with little kids. Needless to say I won't be flying United anytime soon.

Specifically the thread about United Airlines dropping pre boarding for people with kids.

I honestly didn't think I was being that far off base with my comments about needing extra time with little kids. Needless to say I won't be flying United anytime soon.

We almost always fly UA, and I can tell you that UA has not allowed preboarding for children for at least five years. This is a ridiculous story. I have no idea how so much incorrect information ends up online.

Most US airlines really don't have preboarding for families anymore; they will board F, business and their elite flyers first. It's just the way it is. Even Southwest doesn't preboard families.

I've never understood why you want to be 1st on, anyway...just means you have to sit in those cramped spaces even longer! Assuming pre-selected seats, I like to be LAST on! (and, 1st off!)

I do see what your saying. I like to be on early with a car seat because it takes me time to get it in, and there is no place for my child to wait while I put it in. Car seats have to go in the window seat, which leaves me and my derrière in the middle seat while I install. We have a good system where DH watches the kids while I get the seat in, but it means blocking the aisle for a minute or two. I have never been on a plane where there isn't someone pushing to get by in this situation, and quite frankly my youngest is small and could easily get hurt. We have been on 8 flights with car seats and I have yet to find an alternative solution. Even with the extra time we are barely sitting and settled in when they start getting ready to leave. If I had no car seat, I agree I would want to be last on too!

What's really bothering me is the lack of common courtesy from fellow passengers towards those who cannot move as quickly as the general population. I think I'm just going to keep my fingers quiet in that forum from now on.

I do see what your saying. I like to be on early with a car seat because it takes me time to get it in' date=' and there is no place for my child to wait while I put it in. Car seats have to go in the window seat, which leaves me and my derrière in the middle seat while I install. [/quote']

You know, you could accomplish the same thing boarding last. You wouldn't be holding anyone else up and all the fast boarders would be in their seats.

I agree that United hasn't officially boarded families with children first in years.

What's really bothering me is the lack of common courtesy from fellow passengers towards those who cannot move as quickly as the general population. I think I'm just going to keep my fingers quiet in that forum from now on.

No one was rude to you in the cruise air forum. No one there said people with disabilities or those who were elderly should not have preboarding. You have an opinion you need to board first because you have children. Others think you should board last.

Airlines value their frequent flyers more than people who booked based solely on price, who may fly them once every few years. And, that makes good business sense. I'd rather keep a customer happy who flew 100,000+ miles a year, then one who flew maybe 1,500 miles a year.

Everyone should choose the airline that works for them.

Why can't you just board and install the car seat and have your husband board a little while later with the kids? Or, if you have 4 seats and you need the one the carseat is going in and the one beside to install, why can't the kids stand on the other two seats and hubby stand in front of them?

No need to block the aisle.

Would you be willing to pay to pre-board? How much?

We will be on Air Tran this time next week - we can pay to pre-board, but I am not sure I want to.

I feel suckered for having had to select a seat (not that I chose one of the better/pricier seats - we just wanted 3 together adjacent aisles.)

I've never understood why you want to be 1st on, anyway...just means you have to sit in those cramped spaces even longer! Assuming pre-selected seats, I like to be LAST on! (and, 1st off!)

Do you even have problems storing your stuff when you are the last on?

I am assuming that you get on & seated eventually even if you have to wait for 20 of your newest friends to stash their stuff 3+ rows away from their seats & return while others are trying to get on as well...

2 of our bags (my pocketbook & my son's back pack) can fit under the seat in front of us, but our back pack & diaper bag need to go over head...

More space available in the overhead bins to store your stuff. Also, on airlines that don't pre-assign seats, early boarders get a better selection of seats and are more likely to be able to secure several adjacent seats. For those who are traveling light and traveling alone, this might not be all that important; for those who are traveling with small children (and their associated paraphernalia), this is very important indeed.

And yes, United hasn't pre-boarded families in quite some time. I was disappointed when they first made this change, but there's nothing I can do about it. (Well, I suppose I could avoid flying United. But does anyone still pre-board? I know Southwest will board families between the A and B groups.)

I personally like being able to board early especially on Southwest flights where seat assignments are first come first serve. It ensures that all my kids will be in the same vicinity as me and not scattered about the plane. Also, people are pushy/shovy when boarding and it can be a challenge wrangling a 3 yr old on just a strictly land based vacation. I never really cared for UA anyway even as a business traveler. So it would be highly unlikely that I would ever consider them for a vacation destination provider.

I always just take my kids and board right after first class. I've yet to find a gate agent who has stopped me when I'm carrying an infant and dragging two kids behind me, often kicking and screaming. ;)

I always just take my kids and board right after first class. I've yet to find a gate agent who has stopped me when I'm carrying an infant and dragging two kids behind me, often kicking and screaming. ;)

They sound as if they are charming.

Your luck will run out once you hit a GA that enforces their airline's policy.

Maybe if the airlines started enforcing the carry on rules this would be less of an issue (since to me with kids I'd rather board last but I do want to be able to put a bag overhead.)

I get annoyed when I see people with 3 carry ins and they all go overhead.

Maybe if the airlines started enforcing the carry on rules this would be less of an issue (since to me with kids I'd rather board last but I do want to be able to put a bag overhead.)

I get annoyed when I see people with 3 carry ins and they all go overhead.

Some gate agents are very good about catching excess carryons, others, not so much. I recently was at a Jetblue gate dropping off my vision impaired aunt for her flight and the gate agent was walking through the rows of chairs, passing out gate check tags for people who had large or too many carryons. She wasn't taking any grief from anyone, even if the bag was the right dimensions, if it was over stuffed, she was making people gate check. She also wouldn't allow a family with a lap child to bring on the baby carseat unless they paid for a seat. They kept arguing that they knew there were a bunch of empty middle seats and they wanted to use the car seat for the baby. The gate agent told them to either buy the third seat or check the car seat. The parents took a gate check tag.

This is my plan - even though our seats are in zone 5 of 5. :p The middle of the plane. (At least they are assigned - because we paid for assigned seats.)

Some gate agents are very good about catching excess carryons, others, not so much. I recently was at a Jetblue gate dropping off my vision impaired aunt for her flight and the gate agent was walking through the rows of chairs, passing out gate check tags for people who had large or too many carryons. She wasn't taking any grief from anyone, even if the bag was the right dimensions, if it was over stuffed, she was making people gate check. She also wouldn't allow a family with a lap child to bring on the baby carseat unless they paid for a seat. They kept arguing that they knew there were a bunch of empty middle seats and they wanted to use the car seat for the baby. The gate agent told them to either buy the third seat or check the car seat. The parents took a gate check tag.

I hope we have this agent for our flights!

I always just take my kids and board right after first class.

This is my plan - even though our seats are in zone 5 of 5. :p The middle of the plane. (At least they are assigned - because we paid for assigned seats.)

Some gate agents are very good about catching excess carryons, others, not so much. I recently was at a Jetblue gate dropping off my vision impaired aunt for her flight and the gate agent was walking through the rows of chairs, passing out gate check tags for people who had large or too many carryons. She wasn't taking any grief from anyone, even if the bag was the right dimensions, if it was over stuffed, she was making people gate check.

I hope we have this agent for our flights!

TheCalicoCat - You don't get it both ways. If you have a GA that's doing his/her job by keeping people from bringing on too many carryons, they certainly aren't going to let you board after F/business/elites if you are in boarding group #5. And, they shouldn't.

They sound as if they are charming.

Your luck will run out once you hit a GA that enforces their airline's policy.

Actually, they are quite charming and very well behaved. We fly several times a year and have yet to be stopped so I'm really not too concerned.

This is the reason why we did not fly with our kids until they were 4 & 7 years old. Who is the holiday for? You and your kids don't sound like any of you are having a good time if they are all screaming, and you are stresses out. And what about the other passengers on the plane? Holidays are meant to be fun - for everyone. When our kids were babies/toddlers we used to drive to the countryside and stay on farms. They were fascinated by seeing cows being milked, and lambs in the fields. We also went to Centerparcs, which is little 'cottages' set in a forest around a huge climate controlled covered pool. Save the flying and cruising until the kids are old enough to remember it, and use the kids clubs, pools, etc. Then everyone has a chance to have a good time. (Just my opinion, hope I don't get 'flamed'!)

TheCalicoCat - You don't get it both ways. If you have a GA that's doing his/her job by keeping people from bringing on too many carryons, they certainly aren't going to let you board after F/business/elites if you are in boarding group #5. And, they shouldn't.

Good point - I don't have a problem with boarding in group 5 if the people in 1 through 4 are only allowed to bring what is allowable; therefore, enabling us to have some space for our stuff too.

This is the reason why we did not fly with our kids until they were 4 & 7 years old. Who is the holiday for? You and your kids don't sound like any of you are having a good time if they are all screaming, and you are stresses out. And what about the other passengers on the plane? Holidays are meant to be fun - for everyone. When our kids were babies/toddlers we used to drive to the countryside and stay on farms. They were fascinated by seeing cows being milked, and lambs in the fields. We also went to Centerparcs, which is little 'cottages' set in a forest around a huge climate controlled covered pool. Save the flying and cruising until the kids are old enough to remember it, and use the kids clubs, pools, etc. Then everyone has a chance to have a good time. (Just my opinion, hope I don't get 'flamed'!)

Do you know of any of those options on this side of "the pond?" I don't... (We do take our son to the fair - he loves seeing the animals.)

We live in the country and see cows, lambs everyday, so this isn't particularly interesting to my guys ;). I've done land based trips and cruises with little kids, and really one is no different from the other. A long car ride can be just as bad as a flight. For us, taking a flight is a more pleasurable experience for us and those with whom we travel, so it all depends on the children and family involved. What works for one doesn't automatically work for another.

With our work schedules, the only way to relax is to get far away from home, preferably out of BlackBerry range. Cruise ships meet that criteria well, and there are no ships that set sail near our home, ergo the need for flights.

Plus Canadian winter are cold and miserable :)

Archived