Security concern ... Too Much Info

EdmPair

I am horrified that when you thanked the deities you neglected to mention the Flying Spaghetti Monster!:eek: Some folks on this thread are way too paranoid for their own good. :rolleyes:

Ah, crap! Now my secret is out and everyone will know who I am. I deliberately did not mention the deity I worship whenever I have been drinking too much, and you went right ahead and let my secret out. :eek: I'll now have to stay in my house with my grenade launcher primed and ready to defend my turf against all the roving bands of CruiseCritic gang-cruisers who are trying to steal from me! No more cruising for me - it's much too risky now that you have blown my cover! Thanks a lot. :mad:

This is somewhat off topic, but I know why some choose not to give out cabin numbers. At the risk of sounding totally unfriendly....I would not do it again, simply because I've had the misfortune of meeting, on one occasion only, the 'Holiday Interrupters'. Maybe some of you have had the misfortune of meeting them, too. This was at an AI.

This was years and years ago, long before I developed a back-bone, but we were 'dropped in on', followed on the beach, surprised(!) at dinners.....and lunches.....and breakfasts......drag their pool chairs over to ours EVERY DANG TIME WE MADE EYE CONTACT. Even popped up on the same catamaran we were on. And then they found us somehow at home....continued to call a couple of times per month, (from Florida, we live in western Canada) we just stopped answering the phone.

Lordy, nice enough people, but super lonely, and didn't enjoy their own company, or the company of their respective spouses. And whiny...and complained all the time. My DH would just get up and swim away, or walk into the ocean.....and left me hanging with these 2, and as I said, didn't have enough backbone or courage to ask them to leave us alone.......we just didn't want the constant company. A few drinks the first night was fun.....but I'm far more wary now. I guess I must have given the impression somehow that we were going to BFF.....like I said, more careful now.

But....I've also met some GREAT people on cruises, and had a ton of fun...but thankfully without the expectation that we are going to share each meal and each event.

This is somewhat off topic, but I know why some choose not to give out cabin numbers. At the risk of sounding totally unfriendly....I would not do it again, simply because I've had the misfortune of meeting, on one occasion only, the 'Holiday Interrupters'. Maybe some of you have had the misfortune of meeting them, too. This was at an AI.

All that would likely have happened even if your cabin number was kept secret. Just my 2 cents. What's an AI?

Granted I've only cruised three times, but the only people I ever had knock were those I was expecting or my cabin steward. I don't see it being a big deal, and if it does happen, either don't answer the door or tell the person you aren't able to visit at that time.

It's Memorial Day in the U.S. today and a perfect time to say thank you to all those who fought to give us the freedom to make our own choices.

We can choose whatever way we wish to enjoy whatever vacation we are so lucky to be taking and we can do it our way.

On Memorial Day, I give thanks for that freedom. :)

In this instance, IMO, no one is right and no one is wrong. The only right is the one you choose for yourself and the one you permit others to choose for themselves.

All that would likely have happened even if your cabin number was kept secret. Just my 2 cents. What's an AI?

AI = All Inclusive

Refers to resorts mostly in the Caribbean that include meals, tips, drinks, etc.

Well, here again -- a good roll-call thread should never require more personal information than the participants are comfortable giving!

Anyone organizing a cabin crawl should recognize two things:

-- Some roll-callers just don't want to participate (and that's fine); and

-- Some folks want to participate, but don't feel comfortable posting their cabin number on a public website (and that's fine too -- they can give the organizer their cabin number once they are on board).

Anyone on a roll-call thread DEMANDING personal information would have definite issues with me!

Of course, everyone needs to do what makes them comfortable, and I'm not even implying that everyone should do or feel as I do.

But I have no concern about putting my relatively anonymous travel plans on the Internet.

My biggest security concerns are that the newspaper delivery person (an adult) and everyone who works in my local post office know exactly when I'm leaving and when I'm coming back, and they know exactly where I live. Ditto for my son's teenage friends. To me, these are much more realistic security threats.

I'm much less concerned that someone in Alberta, California, Ontario, South Carolina, Florida, Illinois and the UK knows I'll be away.

Very good point. And of course multiple people at work will know too. I just try to limit how much I tell and whom. But we all gotta live too.

You're right....

In fact I don't think our experience had anything to do with giving out a cabin/hotel room number. We just 'met' these people. I guess I was thinking in the larger realm of being intruded upon when you don't want to be....so giving out a cabin # could be a bit more risky in those terms. Maybe some unwanted knocks on the door.

Wow. This thread is a real eye-opener for someone from a small country with relatively low crime rate.

I'm not sure if you are vigilant or paranoid :cool:

I don't mean to offend anyone, though. I find it equally strange that people need all kinds of papers to take their own child out of the country. Where I'm from you can take anyone anywhere and nobody questions anybody :rolleyes:

P.S I've given my name because you couldn't find me using it. I've spelled the way it's pronounced so it wouldn't confuse people :D

Ahhh, that makes more sense than "Artificial Insemination" which was all I could come up with.
Well then, it is certainly understandable if you do not want to have your AI location posted on a public forum but prefer to keep it confidential.

Although we have not yet been on a cruise where this service was provided, it would not surprise us since we have already been on cruise ships where acupuncture and teeth whitening were offered, so it seems like a logical next step. ;)

Last time we sailed Princess, they had our name and cabin number on our key card. I hated that anyone who might find a lost key card could let themselves into someone else's cabin.

WHAT WAS SECURITY thinking when they put cabin numbers on key cards? :eek: It made me paranoid to the point I was checking to be sure we hadn't lost our cards the whole cruise.

People put all their belongings in the hall the night before debarkation and they even pack it all up in a nice easy rolling suitcase (we wouldn't want the theives to have to work hard)! :eek: The things that are too valuable to put in the hall way on that last night are the same things I put in the room safe so why would anyone break in when they can just wait till I pack it all up for them. :rolleyes: If I lost my card that would not be a problem since I would have the code on that card inactivated quickly at the desk and have a new card. Without the card someone would look really obvious trying to break the door open and there are always some stewards in the halls.

Ahhh, that makes more sense than "Artificial Insemination" which was all I could come up with.

OK now I'm envisioning this couple and their fertility doctor at their Artificial Insemination and this other couple bounding into the procedure room to visit!!! :( :rolleyes:

I think (I HOPE) your husband would have gotten up the nerve to tell them to go away in that case!!! :D ;)

Archived