Security concern ... Too Much Info

EdmPair

I joined and have been learning as I have a second cruise booked. I have even posted but I have not given what cruise, when or where. I just do not feel comfortable announcing to the net that I will be away from my house during a period of time. I guess others are and that's their choice.

I also know it depends what kind of house you leave behind. A relative leaves an adult child living in her house this year. Makes it less of a risk. A friend lives in a high rise condo. I would still not say, but know that risk is lower too.

Your thoughts. Do you give your name and home town before trips?

Thanks for replies. It's not most posters who I think say too much, but a few. Not about to name them either. I work in security so perhaps more cautious than I need be.

I joined and have been learning as I have a second cruise booked. I have even posted but I have not given what cruise, when or where. I just do not feel comfortable announcing to the net that I will be away from my house during a period of time. I guess others are and that's their choice.

I also know it depends what kind of house you leave behind. A relative leaves an adult child living in her house this year. Makes it less of a risk. A friend lives in a high rise condo. I would still not say, but know that risk is lower too.

Most people do not give their full name, or their address. Even if everyone knows where and when "Jana60" is going on cruises for the next 6-8 months it is no security issue. Thats not my real name. Besides, I have a monitered security system and a very alert neighborhood watch group. Once my sister and her family parked in front of the house when they arrived on Christmas morning. A short time later I was making breakfast for the family still weaing my pajamas when the police showed up and demanded my ID to prove I lived there as the neighborhood watch had reported "a suspicious vehicle in front of the house". I was temped to tell the police "No I don't live here, I just broke in so that I could slip into some pajamas and make scrambled eggs! :rolleyes:

I an not really concerned and am pretty vague in when I will be sailing. I normally don't even mention it on here until After I get back and even then I do not post many reviews and such so it is really hard to tell. Even at home, I only tell a select few people that I will be out of town and have a designated person who checks on the house regularly.

The only thing I see on here that I think is a security risk is when people post what week they are sailing and their cabin #. They may then post on another thread how much cash they are bringing onboard, that they keep their electronics hidden in their suitcase under their bed...etc...I would be more concerned about someone trying to get into their cabin onboard than someone in their hometown figuring out exactly who this person is from a screen name and knowing when they are going to be gone.

Your thoughts. Do you give your name and home town before trips?[/quote]

Nope -- and that is one reason I do not join Roll Calls.

Yes to my home town but no to my name. I don't even use my real first name in the Roll Call forum posts, since I have a kind of unusual name; still I don't think it's a concern that a thief will know that someone in a city of almost 3 million people will be out of town that week.

It's true that someone could hack my posts, invade my computer, and learn my identity that way, but that seems pretty excessive for something as mundane as a robbery. And if that were the case, I'd be more concerned with the other info they could steal than just my real name. I agree with you concerning sites where someone typically uses their real name, such as Facebook or Foursquare.

My adult child (still lives at home) works an erratic schedule (ie he might leave the house at 4:00 am one day and noon the next, and even his shifts vary from six hours to 13 hours) so casing my place won't do you much good.

I live in a gated, guarded community, getting past GI Joe at the gatehouse isn't going to happen unless you belong in the neighborhood, and even then you need to show ID and they write it down. If you aren't on someone's guest list and when they call the house the person you're visiting doesn't give the OK, you aren't getting in.

I have an alarm system, and my neighbors actually pay attention to an alarm going off.

I have a security camera system.

I have a big dog (85 pounds) who makes a lot of noise if there's a strange car in the neighborhood or if anyone approaches the house.

And I've got alert neighbors, the majority of houses have either a retiree (including a retired NYC cop), a stay-at-home-mom, or someone who works from home. We all know who does and who doesn't belong here, and have no problem calling the police when appropriate.

A true professional wouldn't be bothered as I don't have enough valuable stuff to make my house worse burglarizing, and a random criminal is going to go elsewhere even if he does get into the neighborhood because it's not worth dealing with a noisy alarm, occupied house, and snarling dog--not to mention the potential of being shot by a neighbor.

I don't worry and I DO join in roll calls so that names date & ship. I do not list cabin and I do NOT carry $$ (credit cards all the way for the perks/points).

However, my user name is a combo of DH & my first names. My 'home town' is listed as metro Chicago - well over 3,000,000 people and I am willing to bet some w/similar first names.

Of course, everyone needs to do what makes them comfortable, and I'm not even implying that everyone should do or feel as I do.

But I have no concern about putting my relatively anonymous travel plans on the Internet.

My biggest security concerns are that the newspaper delivery person (an adult) and everyone who works in my local post office know exactly when I'm leaving and when I'm coming back, and they know exactly where I live. Ditto for my son's teenage friends. To me, these are much more realistic security threats.

I'm much less concerned that someone in Alberta, California, Ontario, South Carolina, Florida, Illinois and the UK knows I'll be away.

Of course, everyone needs to do what makes them comfortable, and I'm not even implying that everyone should do or feel as I do.

But I have no concern about putting my relatively anonymous travel plans on the Internet.

My biggest security concerns are that the newspaper delivery person (an adult) and everyone who works in my local post office know exactly when I'm leaving and when I'm coming back, and they know exactly where I live. Ditto for my son's teenage friends. To me, these are much more realistic security threats.

I'm much less concerned that someone in Alberta, California, Ontario, South Carolina, Florida, Illinois and the UK knows I'll be away.

Very true. Particularly the part about the teenage son's friends. While they might be good kids, they might know others who aren't.

I personally think it's far safer to ask a trusted neighbor to bring in your paper and mail than to notify the newspaper and post office that you are leaving.

The biggest threat? Don't ever order pizza the night before you cruise and make mention that you are leaving town or let them see the luggage you might have set in the foyer.

People do tend to share too much in this day & age. A while ago there was a website called "I'm going to rob your house" or soemthing like that. It was made up of re-posts from all the people who would announce on Facebook that they were going to be away. On here b/c there are fewer markers that identify somebody, OK talking about an upcoming cruise.

A couple of months ago I saw a new poster on here who had put their entire address in their location field. I responded on the thread they started and suggested they not do that...

But in general, I haven't worried about security concerns too much on here.

I try to use common sense on security issues, but we live in a rural area that is (relatively) safe with little crime. We also live in kind of a family compound, with 4 houses on our lake property, all family. Our son and family lives about 1 block or less away and check on things every day for us.

Crime can happen anywhere, anytime, but we feel quite secure with our arrangement.

It would be a determined thief who managed to figure out we were gone, found our very rural house, managed to get by all the family who notice who drives in and out, not to mention various dogs. There are some perks to living 2.5 hours from any major city!

Posting cabin numbers on roll calls is another issue. I have done it before when setting up tours with roll call members, but usually I do it via email.

You don't have to add your location here on CC (top right of your posts). I'm not a fan of people knowing where I am from, unless I chose to share the info.

Thanks for replies. It's not most posters who I think say too much, but a few. Not about to name them either. I work in security so perhaps more cautious than I need be.

No need or reason to 'name them'. Most of us can notice when reading through posts. ;) And I agree I have sometimes been amazed how much info some people post on a public forum that could violate their security.

My adult child (still lives at home) works an erratic schedule (ie he might leave the house at 4:00 am one day and noon the next, and even his shifts vary from six hours to 13 hours) so casing my place won't do you much good.

I live in a gated, guarded community, getting past GI Joe at the gatehouse isn't going to happen unless you belong in the neighborhood, and even then you need to show ID and they write it down. If you aren't on someone's guest list and when they call the house the person you're visiting doesn't give the OK, you aren't getting in.

I have an alarm system, and my neighbors actually pay attention to an alarm going off.

I have a security camera system.

I have a big dog (85 pounds) who makes a lot of noise if there's a strange car in the neighborhood or if anyone approaches the house.

And I've got alert neighbors, the majority of houses have either a retiree (including a retired NYC cop), a stay-at-home-mom, or someone who works from home. We all know who does and who doesn't belong here, and have no problem calling the police when appropriate.

A true professional wouldn't be bothered as I don't have enough valuable stuff to make my house worse burglarizing, and a random criminal is going to go elsewhere even if he does get into the neighborhood because it's not worth dealing with a noisy alarm, occupied house, and snarling dog--not to mention the potential of being shot by a neighbor.

Other than the fact you probably have a bit of hyperbole here, I would worry for you writing this post. It could serve as a challenge to some criminal who might think......... Hmmm, I'll show him. He thinks his house is a fortress?

I think most of us who travel have made at least reasonable precautions to secure our homes with either adult family members occupying our homes, monitored security systems, neighborhood watches etc etc

It's probably best to leave it at that.

IMO

No need or reason to 'name them'. Most of us can notice when reading through posts. ;) And I agree I have sometimes been amazed how much info some people post on a public forum that could violate their security.

Other than the fact you probably have a bit of hyperbole here, I would worry for you writing this post. It could serve as a challenge to some criminal who might think......... Hmmm, I'll show him. He thinks his house is a fortress?

I think most of us who travel have made at least reasonable precautions to secure our homes with either adult family members occupying our homes, monitored security systems, neighborhood watches etc etc

It's probably best to leave it at that.

IMO

No hyperbole at all. I'm not sure why you would think there is. And if someone is stupid enough to consider it a challenge, they need to keep in mind that Florida has a "Stand Your Ground" law and be willing to accept the consequences of their actions.

No hyperbole at all. I'm not sure why you would think there is. And if someone is stupid enough to consider it a challenge, they need to keep in mind that Florida has a "Stand Your Ground" law and be willing to accept the consequences of their actions.

But you will be gone in June and again n January, 2014. Florida gun laws will not help you at sea.

I agree that people need to be careful on sites like Facebook. I post on there and as my real name is quite unusual I don't tell anyone where I live and I never mention that I'm going to be away - only talk about it once I'm back.

But you will be gone in June and again n January, 2014. Florida gun laws will not help you at sea.

No, but my neighbors will be home, as will our son.

Like I said, anyone trying to break into my house will first have to get into the neighborhood, second have to bypass the alarm, third have to get by a cranky dog, and that's all if the gun-toting neighbors (notice the plural) don't stop you first.

No one is going to bother when there are so many much easier homes to break into within a five minute walk of here.

Archived