Complementary Toiletries

Grandad

Are any toiletries provided in the cabins, please, and if so are they replaced during the cruise?

Thanks very much for your help.

Yes, there is a new line of toiletries, About Rose. You will get shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and shower gel, as well as a nifty room freshener spray which is very nice for a small shared bathroom. Cotton balls and swabs are also provided. All of these will be replaced by your cabin steward as needed. Don't be put off by the name Rose; they don't have a noticeably floral smell, although personally we preferred the Elemis products (which are still used in the spa but not in the cabins).

Personally, I was quite fond of the products.

I am of the mind that there is something added to the formula that is addictive. A month after your return home, you sniff the remaining dab of hand lotion left in your container and you think, "Mmm.... I'm ready for another Azamara cruise to get me more of that stuff!!" :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if it is possible to request unscented toiletries? Unfortunately, I am asthmatic and perfumes, air fresheners, etc. particularly anything with the scent of roses, will make me very sick. What to do? Thanks, ddcruiser

Many moons ago, when we first started flying, we learned early in the game to anticipate in-cabin disaster, at least when it came to eating, and we started, and we continue, to pack picnic baskets of delectable delights to indulge our taste bud at 35,000, usually to the envy of flight attendants and business class passengers alike. I think that is now called being pro-active.

Might I suggest that you not rely on dumb luck, but pack what you like and think you will need for the trip. If you need it, you've got it. If you don't, you've overpacked a bit. That is one of the reasons god invented zip lock plastic bags (which should ALWAYS be packed, they are always small life savers). Have a wonderful, healthy trip.

I agree with Dr H. If you have allergies and asthma, bring your own products with you.

We were just on the Journey a few weeks ago and tried the new About Rose products. They really set off my allergies. Luckily, I brought small containers of the lotion I use, shampoos and conditioner. At our first port I ran into a Boots store and bought a small bar of soap.

I miss the Elemis products!

I agree with Dr H. If you have allergies and asthma, bring your own products with you.

We were just on the Journey a few weeks ago and tried the new About Rose products. They really set off my allergies. Luckily, I brought small containers of the lotion I use, shampoos and conditioner. At our first port I ran into a Boots store and bought a small bar of soap.

I miss the Elemis products!

Oh great. I brought this up when I first heard about these new products, My DH will need them removed. He needs unscented shampoo and soap.

Btw, I love Boots store products, especial the marshmallow and mint foot creme.

Darn! I was hoping that the About Rose products would be gone by now. I was onboard the Journey when they were first introduced. The smell is way too strong and made me sick. Also, the odor is not at all appropriate for males. (I am female) I know now to bring my own stuff when we cruise in July. Please, Azamara, switch to Elemis soon!!!!

AVW- I agree, the smell is very strong and not designed with men in mind. I wish Elemis would be brought back or have a product that would be appealing to both men and women. Elemis is a unisex product vs. the strong flowery smell of About Rose. In the cabins they give you a small "interior spray" of the product.....some people were using it as a perfume spray. It was very noticeable.

I agree with all the comments about Elemis , I wish they would bring it back .I have not yet used the new toiletries but a friend who has recently cruised Azamara allowed me to smell some she had left , and it is in no way comparable to Elemis.

It was indeed quite sickly and not unisex at all.

Please Azamara reconsider , Elemis are the best.

We also miss the Elemis toiletries. That about Rose stuff has an overpowering flowery scent and we did not like it at all.

We recently found a couple bottles of the old elemis products and are really enjoying them. Maybe we should save them to bring on our Journey cruise in October.:o

PLEASE, PLEASE bring back ELEMIS:D

I have not sailed since the addition of the About Rose products and am delighted to be forwarned. I knew before we sailed on the Journey neither my DH or I were enamored by the Elemis line and were so glad we brought our own products. I always do this when we travel anyway. We will ask the cabin steward to remove the bath products the next time we are fortundate enough to sail again on Azamara.

If these new toiletries are so unpopular, is Azamara intending to do anything about it? Bill, can you help here?

I'm assuming that the refits are unlikely to improve the size of the tiny bathroom but nice toiletries (I liked the Elemis too) do help. It's one of the pleasures of staying at a good hotel & seeing what's there & using them (the best was Bulgari in the Four Seasons Prague a few years ago ;) )

If these new toiletries are so unpopular, is Azamara intending to do anything about it? Bill, can you help here?

I'm assuming that the refits are unlikely to improve the size of the tiny bathroom but nice toiletries (I liked the Elemis too) do help. It's one of the pleasures of staying at a good hotel & seeing what's there & using them (the best was Bulgari in the Four Seasons Prague a few years ago ;) )

Maybe someome should start a poll for those who have used the new Rose products.

Hate

Want Elemis back

Want something differant

I am pretty sure that SilverSea had Bulgari when we were onboard.

I am pretty sure that SilverSea had Bulgari when we were onboard.

Is it possible the heavy scent, offered as "room freshened," serves to alleviate the smell of cabins awaiting the attentions of a dry dock?

Is it possible the heavy scent, offered as "room freshened," serves to alleviate the smell of cabins awaiting the attentions of a dry dock?

Dont think so

My concern is not about the aroma, it was about the quality - certainly for my hair, the shampoo and conditioner was a disaster and I wish I had a stock of Elemis mini bottles for future cruises

i use the shampoo but not the conditioner. on any cruise ship i carry my own.. soap was fine.

i never notice a strong scent like most people. but i did have to really look at the labels to tell which was soap or shampoo.

Hello Zennor, Jade13, Uktog and other readers -

I have forwarded highlights from this discussion thread to our Ship Operations staff in Miami to assess whether or not there is indeed a "vocal majority" of our onboard guests expressing their dissatisfaction to our hotel management staff about the About Rose toiletry products and/or requesting a return to the Elemis products.

I've noticed that at 2:10 PM (PDT/USA) there are a total of 19 comments which are mostly negative asking the we bring back Elemis along with two requests for "fragrance free" and finally one and one-half positive comments. Also, I'll check whether we plan to offer unscented toiletries.

To ensure proper due-diligence in understanding the scope of the "About Rose" negative sentiment expressed on Cruise Critic, it will be critical to obtain feedback from both vessels and then to compare the Cruise Critic "part" with the aggregate "whole" from both vessels.

We value the Cruise Critic community for its base of followers who want to learn more from other members how to enhance their forthcoming experience. At the same time, there is the possibility of getting a distorted view of the total situation ("big picture") related to the smaller sample size that Cruise Critic's instantaneous "real-time" communication delivers. Just like on all social media sites, it can sometimes amplify the voice of the disappointed minority of guests, especially with highly subjective issues related to odors, taste and color. In light of my last statement, It's important for me to reassure you that Azamara highly values your Cruise Critic comments "first" in benchmarking its guest satisfaction perceptions with its policies, procedures and service levels.

I will keep you updated with the outcome of the findings from both vessels along with comments from our Ship Operations staff.

Enjoy the forthcoming weekend and Happy Father Day wishes!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Thank you Bill - and Happy Fathers Day to you to

Absolutely you have to do much wider diligence on this issue and I would not expect Azamara to terminate a contract with a supplier on the basis of the views of 19 people from an internet forum.

It will be interesting to hear what the outcome of the research is and I fully anticipate it will be months rather than weeks before we hear from you on this.

Not wishing to prejudge the outcome that the products will be retained - but if they are- can I again add the plea I made whilst on board, if they are retained could the packaging be changed so we can differentiate more clearly between shampoo, shower gel etc. Not only did we struggle so did our stateroom attendant so we had an oversupply of some products and a dearth of others

Thanks

Ann

Thank you Bill - and Happy Fathers Day to you to

Absolutely you have to do much wider diligence on this issue and I would not expect Azamara to terminate a contract with a supplier on the basis of the views of 19 people from an internet forum.

It will be interesting to hear what the outcome of the research is and I fully anticipate it will be months rather than weeks before we hear from you on this.

Not wishing to prejudge the outcome that the products will be retained - but if they are- can I again add the plea I made whilst on board, if they are retained could the packaging be changed so we can differentiate more clearly between shampoo, shower gel etc. Not only did we struggle so did our stateroom attendant so we had an oversupply of some products and a dearth of others

Thanks

Ann

ann

I have to LOL as i had that problem too. the color of shampoo and soap were very close indeed. i kept the conditioner between them.. that helped a lot..

even in the best hotels i read the labels then put away my glasses and jump in. i find i just seperate them it helps. but the maids move them and i again need my glasses. on A in dec/jan they were put back where i had them. now that is service with a smile..

Uktog, I agree 100%. We weren't thrilled with About Rose but our biggest issue was the inferior packaging. The paper labels with very tiny writing on coloured background made it very difficult to distinguish the products.

But truth be told, I kinda liked the scent.

Thankyou Bill , it's good to see that yet again Azamara are listening.

It will be interesting to see if the wider consensus confirms the views on here.

I do wonder why the change was made at all , I presume it was a cost measure ,

but it would be interesting to know the reasoning behind it.

Elemis as I understand , are still used in the spa.

Would be great if Elemis were reinstated but I understand this may not be possible , keeping my fingers crossed !

Thankyou Bill , it's good to see that yet again Azamara are listening.

It will be interesting to see if the wider consensus confirms the views on here.

I do wonder why the change was made at all , I presume it was a cost measure ,

but it would be interesting to know the reasoning behind it.

Elemis as I understand , are still used in the spa.

Would be great if Elemis were reinstated but I understand this may not be possible , keeping my fingers crossed !

I am not sure the new products are cheaper. When they were launched, much was made about the perfume - the jury is still out on that one which is a very personal thing and will be hard to get consensus on. For me, it was partly the packaging but mainly the quality of the hair products. When I cruise on Celebrity , I know I have to take my own hair products as their ones are not great, but up to now, on Azamara I knew I could rely on the Elemis products. However on my South America cruise, I discovered I had a big problem!

I could be cynical and say its a conspiracy to get more ladies back to the Spa for a wash and blow dry and if it is it worked where I was concerned (BY THE WAY I SAY THIS TONGUE IN CHEEK just had to highlight that to stop others believing my silly theory)

I was in a small hotel in Paris a couple of months ago (medium price) and they included Hermes products, the scent was perfect for both DH and I, the shampoo and conditioner were great and I loved the way the soap bar came in a small box which helped keep the surfaces clear of liquid soap.

As we all try and cut down on our luggage weight, I think in premium brands the perceived quality of toiletries is going to be one of those little things that many will take notice off in the future in their overall assessment of the hotel experience

Archived