Equinox in Santorini on 6/13

rr1954

I know that we will be taking a tender into port in Santorini. Silly question, but do the tenders arrive and depart from Santorini at the same location? Thank you.

Last June the Equinox made two tender stops when arriving in Santorini. The first one was for those with ship's tours and the second was for everyone else. Ship's tours were let off at the old port where buses were waiting, everyone else was let off at the foot of the cable car and donkey path. Everyone comes back at the cable car/donkey path. It is worth to cost of the ship's tour to get off early and get going.

I know that we will be taking a tender into port in Santorini. Silly question, but do the tenders arrive and depart from Santorini at the same location? Thank you.

If you are not doing a ships tour the tender drops you off & picks up right by the cable car which takes you to the town. We recently were in Santorini and the ship did not do two sepearate stops as a previous poster mentioned. The ship stopped once and tenders were both at the aft and forward gangways - one gangway was for those with ships tours the other was for those not doing ships tours.

Santorini is a very walkable town with lots of winding streets, shops, restaurants and amazing views. You can have a very enjoyable time there ( and save some $$) without taking a ships tour.

Yes, tenders (operated by Santorini) collect / return to ship from dock at foot of main town (Fira). Then 2 choices, donkey (5 euros) takes about 3/4 way up or venicular (fast but can be lines). You can walk all way up but watch out for the donkeys and the smell!!!

Also there is no breakwater at Santorini so beware if the sea is rough then I'm afraid Ship will not allow anyone to disembark. I know of at least one cruise that arrived off Santori but no-one was allowed off!!! (quite rare I believe)

Yes, tenders (operated by Santorini) collect / return to ship from dock at foot of main town (Fira). Then 2 choices, donkey (5 euros) takes about 3/4 way up or venicular (fast but can be lines). You can walk all way up but watch out for the donkeys and the smell!!!

Also there is no breakwater at Santorini so beware if the sea is rough then I'm afraid Ship will not allow anyone to disembark. I know of at least one cruise that arrived off Santori but no-one was allowed off!!! (quite rare I believe)

I hope not! We'll be there in oct. Any idea if the seas are rough that time of yr.

The lines for the cable car are long, and it's hot. The wait can be over an hour in the sun. I opted to walk/ jog down the donkey path. It took about 20 minutes, and I was soaked and worn out.

Unfortunately getting down that hill is my most lasting memory of an otherwise beautiful island.

The way those donkeys are treated is frightfully inhumane.

Thank you Mr. Click for the information. I may also do as you recommend and book a tour just to avoid the lines!

Hi rr! Join us on our Roll Call....it's pretty active.

We are arriving on Santorini at 2 p.m. and leaving at 10 p.m. May have trouble getting up the cable car due to crowds but shouldn't be too bad coming down as we are the only ship left in port at that time.

We have arranged a private transfer from Fira to Oia and back for 23 of us so that we don't have to do the ship's tour. It's with NST tours and they are willing to add groups. And I know of at least one other person on the roll call who is looking to do such a tour. Just a suggestion.

Archived