Stay in FLL or MIA????

dvan68

Airfare is currently outrageous into Miami, so we will be flying into FLL although the Breeze leaves from MIA. We have points to stay with Hilton or Marriott. We will not be arriving until 8:00pm- so will probably want to have a bite to eat and a cocktail.

Does it make more sense to find something with an airport shuttle and stay in FLL, then travel again in the morning to MIA, or continue traveling on Friday night and get a hotel in MIA and wake up with only a 10 minute taxi ride?

Anyone have any stand out favorites in the Marriott or Hilton families?

Thanks!

The Hilton Garden Inn FLL has a pkg that includes shuttle to and from the port of Miami. Just click on Special Offers on their site.

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hilton-garden-inn-ft-lauderdale-airport-cruise-port-FLLFHGI/index.html

Have fun on your cruise. BTW, I have family in Shamokin, PA which in not too far from you. :)

Airfare is currently outrageous into Miami, so we will be flying into FLL although the Breeze leaves from MIA. We have points to stay with Hilton or Marriott. We will not be arriving until 8:00pm- so will probably want to have a bite to eat and a cocktail.

Does it make more sense to find something with an airport shuttle and stay in FLL, then travel again in the morning to MIA, or continue traveling on Friday night and get a hotel in MIA and wake up with only a 10 minute taxi ride?

Anyone have any stand out favorites in the Marriott or Hilton families?

Thanks!

We always fly into FLL when leaving from Miami and use SAS to pick us up from the airport and drop us off at a Miami hotel. We have stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay and really enjoyed our stay. Personally, even if we were coming in at 8pm I would continue on to Miami to get it over with.

The Hilton Garden Inn FLL has a pkg that includes shuttle to and from the port of Miami. Just click on Special Offers on their site.

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hilton-garden-inn-ft-lauderdale-airport-cruise-port-FLLFHGI/index.html

Do you know if this hotel offers free parking during the cruise too ?

We have 4 flying into FLL, and 4 driving. But that one car can't transport everyone and their bags to POM. This might be a great alternative if they offer parking too.

Thanks!

Shawn

Do you know if this hotel offers free parking during the cruise too ?

We have 4 flying into FLL, and 4 driving. But that one car can't transport everyone and their bags to POM. This might be a great alternative if they offer parking too.

Thanks!

Shawn

Parking is included in the price for the Miami Cruise pkg.

:)

Have fun on your cruise. BTW, I have family in Shamokin, PA which in not too far from you. :)

Thanks for this idea!!

To answer the OPs question. It depends on what you prefer. Do you want to start your day with a 40 minute commute to the Port or do you prefer to just get all of the traveling out of the way?

Also hotels in FLL IN GENERAL are less expensive than downtown Miami hotels.

The Marriot Marquis in downtown is awesome, but it is also very $$$$.

To follow up on Yogi's comments, if I was arriving at 8:00 PM (which means collecitng bags and in a cab/shuttle closer to 8:30 :() I'd choose to stay near FLL and make my way to Miami the next day.

Good luck! :)

Thank you to everyone for their help. Here is what is appearing to be the most cost effective - although not exactly my preferences.

6pm flight from PHL - this means leaving our house at noon for the 2 hour drive down to PHL - but we need to allow for that much time due to the horrendous traffic in Philly. Being there so early, we figure we will have an opportunity to eat before checking in at the airport. This flight actually lands at 8:58pm, so we are going to stay at the Hilton Airport, then SAS shuttle in the morning. Whew! Nice to have some decisions made....nothing booked yet though - I'm so disappointed in how high the fares are, I am just waiting to see if there are any fluctuations.

Now for the return..... is an 11:45am flight out of FLL, when coming from POM too early?

Thank you to everyone for their help. Here is what is appearing to be the most cost effective - although not exactly my preferences.

6pm flight from PHL - this means leaving our house at noon for the 2 hour drive down to PHL - but we need to allow for that much time due to the horrendous traffic in Philly. Being there so early, we figure we will have an opportunity to eat before checking in at the airport. This flight actually lands at 8:58pm, so we are going to stay at the Hilton Airport, then SAS shuttle in the morning. Whew! Nice to have some decisions made....nothing booked yet though - I'm so disappointed in how high the fares are, I am just waiting to see if there are any fluctuations.

Now for the return..... is an 11:45am flight out of FLL, when coming from POM too early?

What is the next flight time after that one.

Keith

What is the next flight time after that one.

Keith

The next one is at 2:00pm - which just seems like it would be a lot of waiting around at the airport - which I wouldn't mind if we were flying into our local airport, but with a 2 hour drive ahead of us when we land, it's so tempting to do the 11:45. They are both currently the same price, so that makes it harder to decide as well.

It's a personal call on this one. If all goes well you'll make it with time to spare.

If your ship gets in late, or the ship is cleared late, or they decide to stop you to go through your luggage as part of a random custom inspection than 11:45 AM can be a problem.

It all comes down to whether or not you will worry about any of this.

Keith

Keith is right that if something goes astray, you might have a problem. However, barring any major delays, you have leeway there. I'm REALLY conservative and would go for the earlier flight. ;) You are going to FLL which is generally less hectic than Miami. And you could always self disembark or put down an even earlier flight time so you are in the first group to disembark, if you are nervous.

Actually that 2:00 flight is not that late. Some folks are left with an early evening flight as a second choice. You could hang out on the ship till you have to leave. But I too, like to get home to reality as soon as possible..especially if a long drive home from the airport is involved.

Archived