documents needed for minor child to travel

vfangue

We are planning a cruise on Carnival and will be traveling with our children. We have a 17 year old living with us who we would like to travel. The only glitch is that this girl has no contact with her parents, so we cannot get her parents approval to travel with us. We are not listed as her guardians by the court system but the school systems have us listed as her guardian.

We can get her grandparents approval but I'm not sure if that will be accepted by Carnival?

Has anyone been in this situation? Any help would be appreciated.

You might have a problem there. The reason why is you need a notarized letter with permission from the legal guardians. As a matter of fact by law if only one parent is traveling the other parent has to give consent saying they have permission for the minor to leave the country.

Carnival does not know the grandparents are NOT the real parents.

Get notorized signatures of both grand parents. (get a medical release too)

she will need a birth certificate- state issued certified copy and a state issued photo id.

she will need a birth certificate- state issued certified copy and a state issued photo id.

I don't want to sound alarming but I would think twice about that advice

The names on the birth certificate is not going to match the names on the notarized letter, and then they may ask for a letter from the courts showing the grandparents are the legal guardians, and if they do they won't allow you to board with the minor. and you will lose your cruise fare

and believe me no one on this board will back up what they said by sending you a refund.

So who is the "legal" guardian. If it is the grandparents, then get a copy of the legal document and the nortorized letter. If there is not documentation to a legal guardian, then that can be a problem.

This has to be the most ridiculous answer I have ever seen. You are advocating that the OP violate Federal law.

This has to be the most ridiculous answer I have ever seen. You are advocating that the OP violate Federal law.

how many people are asked for those letters?

a chance that the kid cant cruise because she doesnt have parents or have the grand parents sign?

there is no legal guardianship for the girl.

The only ports that are at higher risk for needing notarized letters are Mexican "usually" we have never been asked when traveling with a minor (although have brought a parental notarized letter) If grandparents are legal guardians (by court) then that would definitely qualify. Only if you can get notarization is it really official. IMO -I'd avoid Cozumel port etc. ..

Only relying on past cruising experience.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on tv

We are planning a cruise on Carnival and will be traveling with our children. We have a 17 year old living with us who we would like to travel. The only glitch is that this girl has no contact with her parents, so we cannot get her parents approval to travel with us. We are not listed as her guardians by the court system but the school systems have us listed as her guardian.

We can get her grandparents approval but I'm not sure if that will be accepted by Carnival?

Has anyone been in this situation? Any help would be appreciated.

The letters themselves really are not for Carnival but for immigration/customs, once the minor comes back to the US or if there is a medical emergency. Most times immigration doesn't even look at the letters. They must be notarized by the parents and must state medical and authorization to act in behalf of the parent during the cruise duration. My nephew who was 16 and 17 on two cruises, cruised with us. We had these letters each cruise. Carnival never asked for them. (Nephew has different last name). On the first cruise I asked the Carnival agent at check in if she needed it and she said no, hold on to it, may need it when returning to the US. When coming through custom's, it was never asked for. On the second cruise I never offered it to the agent nor was it asked for. Same thing through customs, never asked for it. On his third cruise he was 18, so it wasn't needed.

While we never needed to use the letters, it was good that they were there if an emergency were to happen.

We had 3 grandkids with us on an Alaska cruise. Had to show those notorized letter both times we needed to show our passports. All the children had passports. I wouldn't try it any other way. Maybe better tow wait until she turns 18. Sorry. m--

We have cruised with our daughter (who is divorced) and her daughter. She always travels with a notarized letter from the Dad with permission for her daughter to travel without him. We know the letter is legitimate but the Carnival rep does not. Let's face it, they are not going to check. There will be no hold up while they run papers through some legal system, or they verify who signed what. That is reality. It may not be proper and may not be the right thing to do but it will happen. And for the record we have stopped offering the rep said papers but always have them at the ready in case they care enough to ask. Carnival, or any cruise line, only cares enough to avoid any legal issues tha may arise of a parent raises objections later.

My sister (who is remarried and has a different last name than her daughter) was asked for a notarized letter from her ex. We had received bad advice from a TA, and DS had a letter but it wasn't notarized. She even got her ex to print a new copy of the letter, get it notarized, and fax it to the cruise port. This wasn't a cruise to Mexico - it was the Eastern Caribbean, and only a BC was required, but my niece had a newly issued passport for which her father had had to sign the application. They still wouldn't let my niece board. If it had just been my DS's family, they would have turned around and gone home, but it was our whole extended family (22 people) so DS and DN stayed behind (with no luggage - it was already on board) and waited for the notarized letter to be FedExed, then they flew to the first port (Puerto Rico) and joined us there. They received no compensation from the cruiseline, so this was a very expensive omission.

So yeah, they might not ask for it, but if they do and you don't have it, it's a very big deal.

Do the grandparents have any contact with the parents? Could you give a letter to the grandparents and ask them to help get the parents' notarized signatures?

If you can't get a notarized letter, I only see two options: travel without your 17-year old friend or put off your cruise for a year. Maybe an attorney could help find another solution. Good luck!

Archived