Wake Up Show

Tina G

I was delighted to find that the silly nonsense and lame jokes on the Wake Up Show have stopped. We just returned from the Sea Princess, and the cruise director simply explained the day's plans without all the boring sillyness I have seen on past cruises! Bad news is that he left the same day we did, and there will be a different cruise director on the Sea Princess for the Alaska runs. I hope this is a new policy.

Also, we were happy to find an empty refrigerator in our cabin. I didn't have to ask the steward to remove the overpriced junk. Yay!

I certainly hope they didn't do away with that show! It starts your day out with a smile. :D

I think it's all up to the CD - and I will have Kelvin Joy as mine next week on the Diamond (he was on two of my previous cruises) and I'm thrilled!

I certainly hope they didn't do away with that show! It starts your day out with a smile. :D

I think it's all up to the CD - and I will have Kelvin Joy as mine next week on the Diamond (he was on two of my previous cruises) and I'm thrilled!

You sure lucked out. I know you asked about this on the LIVE. Wendy, please give him a hug from me. :D

I can't imagine Tina above being happy about a non Wake show. Then again, all CD's are not created equal and I can think of several I wouldn't want to see either.

And what pray tell is the Wake Up Show. The name explains the timing, but is it broadcast into your cabin? Can it be turned down? What time is it usually heard? Would you hear it in the dining room over breakfast?

We're old school and prefer the print media over fast talkers.

All that aside, we're looking forward to our first Princess Cruise this fall.

Ruth

And what pray tell is the Wake Up Show. The name explains the timing, but is it broadcast into your cabin? Can it be turned down? What time is it usually heard? Would you hear it in the dining room over breakfast?

We're old school and prefer the print media over fast talkers.

All that aside, we're looking forward to our first Princess Cruise this fall.

Ruth

The Wake Show is on TV; channel 21 in your cabin. Starts at 6:00 AM, is taped and continues throughout the morning. You don't have to see it or hear it; just don't turn it on. Wake Show can be entertaiining; or not. Yes, you can read your printed material, but sometimes there is a different perspective than what you read.

And what pray tell is the Wake Up Show.

The contents of this show are:

a) A basic reading out loud of the activities of the day straight from the Patter.

b) An interview with a department with a sales pitch (boutique, Spa, etc.)

c) If luck some humor and a daily contest

On my last cruise, they added multi-minute advertisements every few minutes that doubled the length of the show. For example, several minutes about the new Royal Princess. May have been interesting the first time, but the same "ads" every morning of the cruise is not interesting.

On the Coral, in January, CD JJ Ullrich taped each day in a different public area on the ship. It's one way to get people into these areas that you may not venture into on your own, e.g. lounges.

On the Coral, in January, CD JJ Ullrich taped each day in a different public area on the ship. It's one way to get people into these areas that you may not venture into on your own, e.g. lounges.

It waas not JJ, but on one cruise they did it from one of the aft elevators one day.

Great reactions from people who had been waiting for an elevator when the doors opened.

We just got back from a week on the Star and the CD "JJ" (I think that's his name) did the show every day by mostly just reading the Patter to us. It was boring and after a couple of days we stopped watching. The "fun" was one of the things we used to like about Princess. We only saw JJ about 3 times during the cruise (not sure what he was doing). The rest of the CD staff were wonderful and we want to take them on every cruise we go on in the future. They did all kinds of fun stuff.

We couldn't really figure out why they have TVs in the room since there really wasn't anything interesting on there and you couldn't check your bill or restaurants or anything. The only channel that was fairly interesting was the web cam showing what the front of the ship was facing.

They did show reruns of some of the shows and that was nice if you'd missed one.

Our refrigerator had a large bottle of water and a bucket of ice in it. The water was only $3.50 so we used it (seemed like a fair price). It was a brilliant move by our stateroom attendant to put the ice in there since it kept it nice most of the day.

Tom

I was delighted to find that the silly nonsense and lame jokes on the Wake Up Show have stopped. We just returned from the Sea Princess, and the cruise director simply explained the day's plans without all the boring sillyness I have seen on past cruises! Bad news is that he left the same day we did, and there will be a different cruise director on the Sea Princess for the Alaska runs. I hope this is a new policy.

Also, we were happy to find an empty refrigerator in our cabin. I didn't have to ask the steward to remove the overpriced junk. Yay!

I can read the patter myself, it's the fun and silly jokes that I tune in for.

My favorite CD of all time was Alistair on our 2004 Sapphire LA to Sydney cruise it was fun and games all the time, never a dull moment with him...IMO best cruise director ever.

Matt was the one that left the ship in Vancouver, Kelvin was on for another month! At least I hope that's the case, I just got the standard email from Princess that had Kelvin as my cd looking forward to welcoming me onboard! :D

Pia- I'll make sure to send a hug from you..... :)

He trained under the best - Graham Seymour! Back on the Caribbean Princess in 04....love their humour - the Brits rock!!!

JJ is still around? Boo! He was my LEAST favorite - that cruise on the Sun was BORING! I think the CD makes the cruise, along with the cruise staff!

Of course, we play all the trivia contests and most of the games so we have lots of interaction with them!

We just got back from a week on the Star and the CD "JJ" (I think that's his name) did the show every day by mostly just reading the Patter to us. It was boring and after a couple of days we stopped watching. The "fun" was one of the things we used to like about Princess. We only saw JJ about 3 times during the cruise (not sure what he was doing). The rest of the CD staff were wonderful and we want to take them on every cruise we go on in the future. They did all kinds of fun stuff.

We couldn't really figure out why they have TVs in the room since there really wasn't anything interesting on there and you couldn't check your bill or restaurants or anything. The only channel that was fairly interesting was the web cam showing what the front of the ship was facing.

They did show reruns of some of the shows and that was nice if you'd missed one.

Our refrigerator had a large bottle of water and a bucket of ice in it. The water was only $3.50 so we used it (seemed like a fair price). It was a brilliant move by our stateroom attendant to put the ice in there since it kept it nice most of the day.

Tom

Nothing special. That's exactly what he was supposed to do. And if you think $3.50 is a fair price for water, there's a bridge I'd like to talk to you about. :p

:D Yeah, I normally wouldn't think so, but since I didn't have to go to the store and get it and pack it in I thought it was a pretty decent trade off.

I've never seen the ice bucket in the fridge on other cruise lines. It was nice to always have frozen ice... A little thing, but ...

Tom

:rolleyes:

Nothing special. That's exactly what he was supposed to do. And if you think $3.50 is a fair price for water, there's a bridge I'd like to talk to you about. :p

The Wake Show is in my opinion a waste of space...why publish a Patter if it's read out (in volume) over the peaceful Riviera deck at breakfast time?

I certainly don't need to listen to more advertising and sale pitches.

The Patter is never read out loud. What you occasionally hear is the CD announcing certain activities; once in the AM and again in the PM. Bingo, for sure, but never the entire Patter.

The Wake Show is in my opinion a waste of space...why publish a Patter if it's read out (in volume) over the peaceful Riviera deck at breakfast time?

I certainly don't need to listen to more advertising and sale pitches.

If you simply turn the tv off, or to a different channel,

you will not have to listen to "The Wake Show".

Archived