How far out do you book your plane tickets?

bagelmom6

We booked our flights for our Sept Oasis cruze back in January (FNT-FLL). Got an email from CheapOair that American has changed our flights. They now have us leaving FLL @ 7:05AM on disembarkation day. There is NO way that we can make that flight. You know that I'll be on the phone tomorrow!

Definitely let us know how it turns out. Hopefully you have options. You may be out of luck if it's a consolidator ticket and they are still meeting their obligation to get you from A to B.

I recommend calling AA first. Even though you aren't their customer and they probably will refer you to CheapOAir, you might end up pleasantly surprised.

Definitely let us know how it turns out. Hopefully you have options. You may be out of luck if it's a consolidator ticket and they are still meeting their obligation to get you from A to B.

I recommend calling AA first. Even though you aren't their customer and they probably will refer you to CheapOAir, you might end up pleasantly surprised.

I just checked ITA. They only show the 7:05am Flight. Same on AA.com I would like them to change us to GRR (our hometown) which is more $$, but the times are great.

Joe<----Ready to wheel & deal...;)

Southwest is only one of three domestic airlines that will issue you a credit at no cost if airline fares go down. So, when flights are open for your time period, buy 2 one-way tickets (vs. 1 round trip ticket) and sign up for Ding! specials.

What other airlines wil issue a credit? I think maybe JetBlue and Airtran?

What other airlines wil issue a credit? I think maybe JetBlue and Airtran?

JetBlue now charges $100 for a change in fares. The third airline is Alaska Airlines. A handy chart of change fees by airline can be found here.

Our cruise is next April and it looks like flights are just now available to start booking. I checked last week and the fare from Boston to Fort Lauderdale was $435. I should have jumped on it but didn't and now it's up to $535. I'm really stressing out about it. Should I book it now or wait and hope it goes down? I just don't know what to do. It makes me ill to pay over $500 but I'm afraid it will keep going up and I'll end up paying $600 if I wait.

We had always booked as early as we could. But have found if you wait till Southwest opens your dates. Their prices seam to be lower. Plus no charge for first 2 bags each that alone is ac savings of nearly $200.

Plus coming out of Boston, have found lots of times is cheaper and easier us mentally to fly out of Manchaster, N.H.

Great price to Europe. Crappy price to Cleveland. Duh, which one? I can't tell.

GIGO.

DTW-FLL, cruise is 03/09/13-03/17/2013. I also only see very expensive flights. Think this poster has waited awfully long to book.

DTW-FLL, cruise is 03/09/13-03/17/2013. I also only see very expensive flights. Think this poster has waited awfully long to book.

I see $338.00pp RT for the 3/9 flight to FLL nonstop on Delta.

Joe<----I'm on basically the same flight the week before this (271.20!) :D

I see $338.00pp RT for the 3/9 flight to FLL nonstop on Delta.

I don't see any RT 3/9 outbound and 3/17 return on DL, on DL's webpage for two people for $338 RT. Least expensive flights for OP's dates that have times that would work total $1171 RT for two people.

Personally, I would never leave the day of the cruise and think this poster should be looking at an outbound flight on 03/08. Changing the outbound date to 03/08 shows a RT price for two of $1028.

6rugrats....you do more research on posters than I do. A doff of the cap to you. I just work on what I see in the posts....;)

As you should. I always tell my children, if you would like someone to help you, make it as easy on them as you can.

I don't see any RT 3/9 outbound and 3/17 return on DL, on DL's webpage for two people for $338 RT. Least expensive flights for OP's dates that have times that would work total $1171 RT for two people.

Personally, I would never leave the day of the cruise and think this poster should be looking at an outbound flight on 03/08. Changing the outbound date to 03/08 shows a RT price for two of $1028.

We are flying out the day before the cruise (o3/08/13). The best right now is just under $1200 for two return DTW-FLL on Delta. Spirit is a little cheaper but you make up for it in all the extras. I wish i could find it for $338 RT.

We are flying out the day before the cruise (o3/08/13). The best right now is just under $1200 for two return DTW-FLL on Delta. Spirit is a little cheaper but you make up for it in all the extras. I wish i could find it for $338 RT.

Spirit will just get you from the frying pan into the fire, especially if it's only a few $$. From your posts, it sounds like saving every dollar is crucial to your budget. Simply put you can wish all you want for $338 RT but it's going to be difficul to Florida during cruise / snowbird / Spring Break season unless you can open your schedule way up and research a 3-day window at both ends of your cruise as well as being willing to take "bad" flight times or long layovers as possibilities.

You might check MIA (larger market with less pressure to make revenue from leisure fares); also secondary cities like PBI, or even MCO, TPA, or RSW and drive to/from the port (about 4-6 hour drive).

The Matrix tool is the easiest way to explore these options.

I don't think anyone can currently find these dates/airline/routing on DL's webpage for only $338; not sure what this other poster is looking at. I used both DL's webpage to search and also http://matrix.itasoftware.com.

Very wise to totally avoid Spirit.

Archived