How far out do you book your plane tickets?

bagelmom6

Our cruise is next April and it looks like flights are just now available to start booking. I checked last week and the fare from Boston to Fort Lauderdale was $435. I should have jumped on it but didn't and now it's up to $535. I'm really stressing out about it. Should I book it now or wait and hope it goes down? I just don't know what to do. It makes me ill to pay over $500 but I'm afraid it will keep going up and I'll end up paying $600 if I wait.

Our cruise is next April and it looks like flights are just now available to start booking. I checked last week and the fare from Boston to Fort Lauderdale was $435. I should have jumped on it but didn't and now it's up to $535. I'm really stressing out about it. Should I book it now or wait and hope it goes down? I just don't know what to do. It makes me ill to pay over $500 but I'm afraid it will keep going up and I'll end up paying $600 if I wait.

I usually book about 8 to 9 months in advance when I feel the price is right. I think you have plenty of time. I'd just monitor it daily or weekly so you can get a feel for the price.

If its meets your price point, just pull the trigger. Good luck!

Should I buy Facebook stock now? Will it go up or continue to lose value?

The big issues.....what is your risk tolerance? How obsessive are you about the "lowest fare"? What does game theory say -- what's the comparison between the positive value of a small price drop versus a significant increase?

Basically, buy when you are comfortable with the price, and comfortable with the relative likelihood of increases and decreases.

I've had good luck booking one way segments. I got $149 pp from ROC to FLL on United the day the booking opened.

Today I got FLL to ROC on United for $178 pp - my gut feeling wouldn't let me book it last night when it opened at $271 - I checked at 8 AM this morning and there were "2 tickets only" available for $178.

After I bought them - the price is now at $204 pp. These are for our cruise next April 2013.

It's definitely very random but I do know that on the weekends prices are usually a lot higher.

It's definitely very random but I do know that on the weekends prices are usually a lot higher.

No...it is not "random". It is the result of some very sophisticated pricing algoithms in each airlines revenue management (or also called yield management) departments. Very bright "gnomes" figure out how to maximize revenue by manipulating inventory in the various fare buckets for each and every flight and route. And that manipulation means that inventories dynamically change for flights. Further, availability for any one purchase does NOT mean that the same pricing/inventory will be available for another purchaser.

As for "weekends prices are usually a lot higher"....are you speaking of BUYING on the weekend or FLYING on the weekend? And your data points?

Not usually a good time to buy is when airfare just opens...I "WATCH" sometimes several times a day :eek: (my travel OCD clicks in) and usually end up purchasing 6-9 months out...by then I have a good idea at pricing and what "I" think is a good price for "me".. I also use Yapta for basic pricing alerts...Many may not agree but I have found my best pricing has been usually early-mid week..Luckily I have been able to get first class many times for my LAX-FLL (yearly March caribbean cruise :)) for just a few $$'s more than I had seen coach class....Good luck !!!!!

BTW...JMHO....$435...sounds a bit high to me...maybe some that have flown this route though will disagree.

It could be a bit high because that is spring break time for some schools (depending when in April of course).

Prices are unpredicatable, and you are booking months in advance. I wouldn't worry too much about it, watch for a month or so then book when you feel ready since you're buying so far in advance. I usually buy between 2-3 months in advance and have gotten some good deals (I fly from JFK or LGA)

I just got ours on Monday with Airtran. They had just opened up their fares for our dates that day. Well thankfully I got them when I did.

This is the price I got on 6/4 when fares just opened up for our dates:

PHL - MCO r/t = $138pp

Today, 6/6 for the same flights = $432pp each way. :eek:

Moral of the story - if you see a price you can live with - go for it! ;)

No...it is not "random". It is the result of some very sophisticated pricing algoithms in each airlines revenue management (or also called yield management) departments. Very bright "gnomes" figure out how to maximize revenue by manipulating inventory in the various fare buckets for each and every flight and route. And that manipulation means that inventories dynamically change for flights. Further, availability for any one purchase does NOT mean that the same pricing/inventory will be available for another purchaser.

As for "weekends prices are usually a lot higher"....are you speaking of BUYING on the weekend or FLYING on the weekend? And your data points?

I absolutely agree with you that airlines utilize complex pricing algorithms to determine fares at every minute & moment of each day.

My response was in my own layman's terms which I have had great success in finding and booking my own lower fares which I can live with.

That's why I wouldn't book my return flight at $271 the night it opened and waited until Tuesday morning to check again. I have read that the best time to book is Tuesday morning - it worked and I ended up saving $200 and got the fares I was looking for.

As far as the weekend response - whenever I look to "buy" on the weekends - most times it is substantially higher. No data points - just my personal experience. The $178 fare pp was to fly on a Sunday.

To the OP - google ITA software - this is a great tool for comparing fares and it let's you select the criteria that you are looking for as far as times, dates and prices. I usually start monitoring this daily a few months out from the dates that my flight will open. It will give you a good idea of how the fares will vary.

I purchased our flights for Miami last week shortly after they opened up for April 2013. The price was in the range I was hoping for, the arrival/departure airports are going to work out great and the times are perfect so I jumped on it. $289 DTW to FLL, MIA to DTW nonstop. We are flying in 3 days early to stay in Hollywood which is closer to FLL where we are flying into and we are cruising out of Miami where we are departing from, so I couldn't ask for better flights :D

When I booked flights for our cruise 2 years ago at 7-8 months out, I couldn't get nonstop flights and the departure times were not nice, so by booking early I got the flights I want.

I usually book as early out as possible. We booked our flights for our December 2012 cruise in February and got 2 round-trip tickets for $479 total (Seattle to Miami). The price was right for me, so I booked. Right now the same flight is $539 per person. Usually as soon as I booked my cruise I start checking out flights and once I see a good price I booked immediately and we tend to book our cruises at least 12 months out.

I usually book as early out as possible. We booked our flights for our December 2012 cruise in February and got 2 round-trip tickets for $479 total (Seattle to Miami).

If this was anywhere near the holidays, that makes it an exceptional time -- any holiday season will have higher demand and early booking is appropriate.

I would suggest that this NOT be taken as typical by the readers of this thread.

Part of the answer to "when should I buy a ticket" depends on which airline you are likely to fly. For example, between Boston and Ft. Lauderdale, you could fly Southwest Airlines. (At the moment, however, they are only accepting reservations through Jan. 4, 2013, but the concept still applies.) Southwest is only one of three domestic airlines that will issue you a credit at no cost if airline fares go down. So, when flights are open for your time period, buy 2 one-way tickets (vs. 1 round trip ticket) and sign up for Ding! specials. Although they are not as attractive as they once were, if a special fare does appear you can redeem one leg of the trip for this lower fare and get a credit for the difference.

For other airlines, the fees charged for a change usually wipes out any savings. However, before you buy, you can sign up for fare alerts at yapta.com and if one immerges at a price that you like, then go ahead and purchase it. With these other airlines, it is usually not possible to airm for the absolutely lowest fare that might exist.

Have you tried Southwest air?

I have been watching prices for our Jan 13-26, 2013 flight from Detroit to Ft Lauderdale they have been consistant at $282 for the flight down. Then I looked at flights back :eek: Delta wants $484 for the 1pm flight back. Not only that but the 1pm flight economy seats are sold out - 7 months ahead of time! Same goes for the 3:30 flight back. I am thinking some group must have booked these flights.

How about considering the thousands of people who are leaving the ship on the same day that you are. Hmmm.

That's the crazy part - we have flown out of Ft Lauderdale on Saturdays when Oasis is in port and on Sunday when Allure is there. We have never booked our air more that 2 or 3 months out, and never have seen a seat shortage like this one.

I have been watching prices for our Jan 13-26' date=' 2013 flight from Detroit to Ft Lauderdale they have been consistant at $282 for the flight down. Then I looked at flights back :eek: Delta wants $484 for the 1pm flight back. Not only that but the 1pm flight economy seats are sold out - 7 months ahead of time! Same goes for the 3:30 flight back. I am thinking some group must have booked these flights. [/color']

I am not sure what you are talking about. Looking at DL's webpage for FLL-DTW on January 26, 2013, the nonstop flight at 3:30 p.m. (#1804) in coach is not sold out. You can purchase a one-way ticket for $147.21 on this flight.

I would guess you are leaving for FLL on Jan 12 (I hope anyway). I see six nonstops on DL, DTW-FLL for $147.21 for Jan 12. Where are you seeing these expensive coach tickets?

I am not sure what you are talking about. Looking at DL's webpage for FLL-DTW on January 26, 2013, the nonstop flight at 3:30 p.m. (#1804) in coach is not sold out. You can purchase a one-way ticket for $147.21 on this flight.

I would guess you are leaving for FLL on Jan 12 (I hope anyway). I see six nonstops on DL, DTW-FLL for $147.21 for Jan 12. Where are you seeing these expensive coach tickets?

Why would I look at a one way ticket??

You need to look at prices for flights back to DTW as Delta has different prices based on flight times. We never book a flight before noon when getting off a ship. Jan 13 flight leaves DTW at 8:40 am Jan 26 flight leaves FLL at 1pm total cost $486.30. I know we could take a later flight and save a few dollars but I have no desire to sit around waiting for a flight to leave.

I have been watching prices for our Jan 13-26' date=' 2013 flight from Detroit to Ft Lauderdale they have been consistant at $282 for the flight down. Then I looked at flights back :eek: Delta wants $484 for the 1pm flight back. Not only that but the 1pm flight economy seats are sold out - 7 months ahead of time! Same goes for the 3:30 flight back. I am thinking some group must have booked these flights. [/color']

Wow! I am so glad I booked our flights when I did for April 2013! I've had many people ask why I would book so far in advance - those prices are why!!! I'd sooner pay $289 return, nonstop, perfectly timed (for us) flights on Delta and risk a flight time change than pay prices such as those.

Detroit to Ft Lauderdale they have been consistant at $282 for the flight down. Then I looked at flights back :eek: Delta wants $484 for the 1pm flight back.

FLL-DTW on January 26' date=' 2013.....You can purchase a one-way ticket for $147.21 on this flight.

I would guess you are leaving for FLL on Jan 12 (I hope anyway). I see six nonstops on DL, DTW-FLL for $147.21 for Jan 12. [/quote']

I think Rugrats quoted one way pricing for you because YOU appeared to have been pricing the tickets that way in your prior post (above), when you said DL wanted $282 for the flight down and $484 for the flight back. :confused:

Jan 13 flight leaves DTW at 8:40 am Jan 26 flight leaves FLL at 1pm total cost $486.30. I know we could take a later flight and save a few dollars but I have no desire to sit around waiting for a flight to leave. [/color]

If you connect through CVG on the way home' date=' you can go down on the same 8:40am flight, and return on a flight leaving FLL at 12:35pm for $292 [b']round trip.[/b]

If this was anywhere near the holidays, that makes it an exceptional time -- any holiday season will have higher demand and early booking is appropriate.

I would suggest that this NOT be taken as typical by the readers of this thread.

Actually we fly out the last week of November and our cruise is the first week of December so its not considered the holidays. We cruised in May as well and booked our flights for $260 per person 11 months in advance and came out ahead. Our friends that cruised with us booked theirs about 3 months out and paid almost $500 each, so that isn't ALWAYS the case. As I mentioned before, booking flights early works out better for us, might not be the case for everyone depending on where you live and where you are flying to.

So I would suggest that the readers of this thread check out flights as early as possible and if you do see a good price that fits your budget jump on it!

You need to look at prices for flights back to DTW as Delta has different prices based on flight times. We never book a flight before noon when getting off a ship. Jan 13 flight leaves DTW at 8:40 am Jan 26 flight leaves FLL at 1pm total cost $486.30. I know we could take a later flight and save a few dollars but I have no desire to sit around waiting for a flight to leave.

I think Rugrats quoted one way pricing for you because YOU appeared to have been pricing the tickets that way in your prior post (above)' date=' when you said DL wanted $282 for the flight down and $484 for the flight back. :confused:[/quote'] Exactly right. Still confused though, as this poster is posting "prices" for flights that he/she states are sold out. How can you get a price for a sold out flight?

In any case, there are plenty of nonstops for this poster's dates/routing at times that would work on DL, for only $294.24 RT, so I'm not sure why the price complaint is posted in the first place.

Archived