How far out do you book your plane tickets?

bagelmom6

Wow! I am so glad I booked our flights when I did for April 2013! I've had many people ask why I would book so far in advance - those prices are why!!! I'd sooner pay $289 return, nonstop, perfectly timed (for us) flights on Delta and risk a flight time change than pay prices such as those.

Hi there,

I see you are from Ontario and are flying to FLL and I have been searching for flights for us for February 2013, and the prices are horrendous!:eek:

Just wondering where you are flying from to take that Delta flight so cheap and where do we sign up?? :D

The cheapest I could find was $1700.00 for 2 return from Toronto.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, this will be our 1st flight :eek: but our 9th cruise, we have always driven to the ports before for our cruises, either Baltimore of Cape Liberty.

Thanks!

Gail

Comet Cruiser

The cheapest I could find was $1700.00 for 2 return from Toronto. Your help would be greatly appreciated, this will be our 1st flight
I have a sneaky suspicion that you are doing something wrong in your search for air pricing. That's $850 per person, which is way above what I'm finding for most weeklong trips on your routing. Try looking at ITASoftware (you can search for link) for some research.

Flyer Talker, does this ITAsoftware work if you're a Canadian and what is ITAsoftware??

I am a novice at checking out prices for flights, I just went to the airline's websites and put in the info.

I will ONLY fly if it's non-stop....once you get me on that plane the only time I'll be gettin off is when we get to Fort Lauderdale ;)

Gail

Comet Cruiser

Flyer Talker, does this ITAsoftware work if you're a Canadian and what is ITAsoftware??

I am a novice at checking out prices for flights, I just went to the airline's websites and put in the info.

I will ONLY fly if it's non-stop....once you get me on that plane the only time I'll be gettin off is when we get to Fort Lauderdale ;)

Gail

Comet Cruiser

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

This is simply a search engine that works for anyone. You can find the flights you want, and then you'll have to book them yourself through the airline's webpage.

If you want a nonstop flight, you are often times going to pay dearly for it. In addition, you are traveling over a holiday period for many schools in the US, which guarantees high prices. My children have that entire week of school off (President's week) for their mid-winter break. Many families in our area head off to Florida or Hawaii.

Hi there,

I see you are from Ontario and are flying to FLL and I have been searching for flights for us for February 2013, and the prices are horrendous!:eek:

Just wondering where you are flying from to take that Delta flight so cheap and where do we sign up?? :D

Your help would be greatly appreciated, this will be our 1st flight :eek: but our 9th cruise, we have always driven to the ports before for our cruises, either Baltimore of Cape Liberty.

Thanks!

Gail

Comet Cruiser

Yes, that price sounds about right for a flight from Toronto - I wouldn't be cruising if we had to fly from Canada - lol! We are flying out of Detroit, nonstop, and I booked directly with Delta. Go on Kayak to get a list of all the flights/fares and then book directly with the airline.

Hi there,

Thanks!

Gail

Comet Cruiser

Try Westjet. Direct flights Toronto to Fort Lauderdale in Feb 2013- $577 including taxes and no charge for luggage.

I will ONLY fly if it's non-stop....

Please recognize that that decision will leave you with only two airlines to choose from - Air Canada and Westjet. Further, you will pay for that convenience.

So, just what's a non-stop worth to you? $100 per person? $200? $300? More?

I have a sneaky suspicion that somewhere between now and purchase, you will decide that a connection is preferable to spending the extra money. But, then again, it's your money.

Try Westjet. Direct flights Toronto to Fort Lauderdale in Feb 2013- $577 including taxes and no charge for luggage.

Hi Maryann,

I just checked and for 2 ppl for our times Feb. 15th- Feb. 23rd the total cost for 2 is $2162.52 !!! HOLY MOLY!!!

FlyerTalker.......I might just choose to do the 3 day drive down....it won't cost anything near to $2,000.00.......and the non-stop is the only way I would consider flying. Claustrophobia is a major issue with me and unless the pilot will pull over so I can get out and get some "air" and stretch...the multiple layovers isn't happening, no matter how cheap it is.

I was also searching for flights to Miami instead then travelling the 30 min. or so it says it is to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale, the flights to Miami are quite a bit cheaper. The Miami pricing is $1532.54 for 2 ppl. and it's flying with American Airlines. Air Canada to Miami is $1700.00.......wonder why flying into Miami is so much cheaper than going to Fort Lauderdale???

Thanks everyone for your info and help.......still trying to decide on which way to go.....I'm so into choosing the way to get there, that I haven't even had a chance to get excited about going on the Oasis;)

Gail

Comet Cruiser

The cheapest I see on Kayak for those dates from DTW is $470 on Spirit (but then you are charged even for carry on bags) and $510 on AA with departure flight at 11:15 from MIA (I wouldn't chance it, but that's just me) and then $548 tax included on Delta DTW-FLL nonstop both ways. That works out to be $1198 total for 2.

Hi Maryann,

I just checked and for 2 ppl for our times Feb. 15th- Feb. 23rd the total cost for 2 is $2162.52 !!! HOLY MOLY!!!

FlyerTalker.......I might just choose to do the 3 day drive down....it won't cost anything near to $2,000.00.......and the non-stop is the only way I would consider flying. Claustrophobia is a major issue with me and unless the pilot will pull over so I can get out and get some "air" and stretch...the multiple layovers isn't happening, no matter how cheap it is.

From a pure accounting perspective there's some bad math here. ;) Toronto-Miami is very close to 3,000 roundtrip road miles. Operating a midsize car costs 55c/mile on average (fuel, wear and tear, maintenance, depreciation, insurance, etc). I assume it's similar for Canadians. There will be 2 overnight stops each way, assume $100/night. And 6 days of meals at $50/day for two people. This assumes basic, economy food and lodging. The grand total is $2350 for two, and doesn't put any value on your time.

The flights to Miami are quite a bit cheaper. The Miami pricing is $1532.54 for 2 ppl. and it's flying with American Airlines. Air Canada to Miami is $1700.00.......wonder why flying into Miami is so much cheaper than going to Fort Lauderdale???

MIA is a hub for American and there's a lot of capacity while FLL is mainly a leisure market. Airlines have significantly reduced flights and routes into FLL and similar destinations (or pulled out entirely). It's all a matter of tighter supply and less competition into FLL.

This made me LOL - because that's what a stop is. An opportunity to get out, stretch your legs, get some fresh air... I dunno. I guess the combination of having flown since I was 7 and the fact that going from my home airport always involves at least 1 connection means that I really don't mind the connections at all (and it's not that I'm not a nervous flyer - I would qualify myself as an 'uneasy' flyer, but for whatever reason it has absolutely no effect on my flight planning...).

That said - if you're seriously considering driving down, then look at the dates before and after - weekends will always cost more, especially to Florida in winter. And also, it depends on your flexibility re: flight times. For instance, I found a non-stop YYZ-MIA on AA for $500 - but the return is at 8:20 pm. You have to weight all the factors, and decide what is most important for you - and are willing to pay for.

I have read that the best time to book is Tuesday morning - it worked and I ended up saving $200 and got the fares I was looking for.

Glad you are deceived by that notion :D. It leaves more sales on other days for people like me. If I were to have waited until tomorrow (Tuesday) to book my Alaska trip it would have cost me at least $300/person more than when I booked it last Thursday. And no, the cheaper fare was not available last Tuesday either.

Do you really think if Tuesdays is the "cheap" day that anyone would buy tickets on the other days of the week?

From a pure accounting perspective there's some bad math here. ;) Toronto-Miami is very close to 3,000 roundtrip road miles. Operating a midsize car costs 55c/mile on average (fuel, wear and tear, maintenance, depreciation, insurance, etc). I assume it's similar for Canadians. There will be 2 overnight stops each way, assume $100/night. And 6 days of meals at $50/day for two people. This assumes basic, economy food and lodging. The grand total is $2350 for two, and doesn't put any value on your time.

I don't think you understand that poster's issue. They will only fly non-stop, period. Driving is the only other option, regardless of cost, inconvenience, number of days en route, hotel cost, cost of time, etc. Nothing to do with math, be it good or bad math. PS in reality it costs much less than 55 cents/mile to operate many cars (especially ones that are more than 3 years old) if the fixed costs are not taken into account (and even if they are). Case in point - the IRS allows 55 cents/mile for business use of vehicle. Most people use this number vs. using actual costs because in reality it is a better deal.

Have you considered flying out of Buffalo? It's often significantly cheaper, and if you drive down the night before and stay at an airport hotel, you can leave your car in their lot at no charge (at least you used to be able to do that). Probably not non-stop, though.

I haven't looked up flights, but that's often a good option; often quicker to pass through customs and immigration that way too ;)

FWIW, I usually look up flights to see what my options are as soon as I've made my cruise and/or land arrangements......if the price is reasonable, I book it and don't cry over the potential savings of $50 that might come my way later. However, if I think the price is high, I'll shop around and book it later......if I think there's lots of seats available and lots of competition. Flights to/from Florida fall into that category, but more unusual locations might be booked sooner. And if I'm using points, I book as soon as possible!

And therein lies your problem. You also have certain specifics, including flight dates and departure/arrival cities. Now you've added a deal-breaker requirement to the equation, but then you want to have your cake (non-stop flight) and eat it too (low price). Something has to give. It's tough to get all of your requirements and not compromise on something.

and the non-stop is the only way I would consider flying. Claustrophobia is a major issue with me and unless the pilot will pull over so I can get out and get some "air" and stretch

I was also searching for flights to Miami....wonder why flying into Miami is so much cheaper than going to Fort Lauderdale???

excited about going on the Oasis;)

If you select a connecting flight, the pilot does, in essence, pull over for you to get out, get some air and stretch. :)

As for pricing, it's supply and demand. Obviously, there are more people who want to fly to FLL on your flight date than to MIA. Given that Oasis and Allure both sail from Fort Lauderdale, is it any wonder?!

Glad you are deceived by that notion :D. It leaves more sales on other days for people like me. If I were to have waited until tomorrow (Tuesday) to book my Alaska trip it would have cost me at least $300/person more than when I booked it last Thursday. And no, the cheaper fare was not available last Tuesday either.

Do you really think if Tuesdays is the "cheap" day that anyone would buy tickets on the other days of the week?

I'm not saying personally Tuesday is the best day only that I have read that others recommended Tuesday as on of the best days to look. If Tuesday's rates were substantially higher when I looked I wouldn't have booked when I did. I'm not that stupid - you need to use your personal comfort zone as what you are willing to pay and then look for it. That's why my rate was $178 and not the $271 that it's currently running at.

I'm not saying personally Tuesday is the best day only that I have read that others recommended Tuesday as on of the best days to look.

So, you aren't contending that Tuesday is a cheaper day, just passing on the incorrect advice of others?

Cool attempt at responsibility transfers....it's not my belief, but it's worth telling you what "others" have said.

Class assignment for today: Anecdote and data - compare and contrast.

This is one person that wishes I would have bought the ticket for DH at least 6 months ago.

He has to be in Des Moines, Iowa or Kansas City MO no later than June 30. Flying from Phoenix. NOT exactly hot spots for vacation travel but oh, has that airfare gone up!!!

Frontier is the cheapest today-$378 RT into Kansas City. But the times SUCK. He has to meet someone to sign a contract for use of some of our land for hunting this fall. He doesn't want to be there for more than a day.

Southwest wants $682. THAT is simply out of sight and they even have a few of their CHEAPEST tickets available. No wonder, we don't EVER fly Southwest. Their prices are ASTRONOMICAL (and I have 1000's of date points to prove that).

Flying into Kansas City and out of Des Moines results in a saving of about $40. BUT the rental car drop fee is over $100, so we loose at least $60 on the total trip. And either airport is 100 miles or more from our office in Northern Mo, so a rental is almost mandatory unless I can talk one of my employees into driving to Kansas City (and by the time I pay for gas and time, I am again in the hole).

I do this stuff for a living. I am kicking myself in the butt because I KNEW he had to be in the north Missouri area by the 30th of June.

I am a firm believer in booking tickets within a month of when the schedules open. We win on 85% of the trips by booking early. We are already booking tickets to trade shows in Europe and Asia in Spring 2013 and the schedules just came out. Will we win?? My business is betting on it.

I am kicking myself in the butt because I KNEW he had to be in the north Missouri area by the 30th of June.

You of all people should know never to book less than 21 days before departure. Of course all the airfares are high for a June 30 departure - now it is under 2 weeks before departure.

Fortunately you learned a lesson for the future, so all is not lost.

This is one person that wishes I would have bought the ticket for DH at least 6 months ago.

He has to be in Des Moines, Iowa or Kansas City MO no later than June 30. Flying from Phoenix. NOT exactly hot spots for vacation travel but oh, has that airfare gone up!!!

Frontier is the cheapest today-$378 RT into Kansas City. But the times SUCK. He has to meet someone to sign a contract for use of some of our land for hunting this fall. He doesn't want to be there for more than a day.

Southwest wants $682. THAT is simply out of sight and they even have a few of their CHEAPEST tickets available. No wonder, we don't EVER fly Southwest. Their prices are ASTRONOMICAL (and I have 1000's of date points to prove that).

A few weeks ago, I had to buy a Phoenix to Kansas City trip to get home after some business (the trip is this Friday afternoon, as I am in Phoenix now). I almost exclusively fly American domestic, but they were soooo expensive that my accounting office said "no way, Jose". Frontier and Southwest, my next two preferences, were also ridiculously expensive. I finally found a nonstop US Airways for $190 or so, one-way (+ taxes), that I jumped on. I dislike US Airways, but it was the only one not incredibly expensive.

And I did book a bit over 3 weeks out. I think almost 4 weeks, actually.

You of all people should know never to book less than 21 days before departure. Of course all the airfares are high for a June 30 departure - now it is under 2 weeks before departure.

Fortunately you learned a lesson for the future, so all is not lost.

Don't rub it in. If he hadn't asked when his plane leaves last night, I would have been booking without even the benefit of 7 days advance purchase.

We haven't discussed this since some hunting club called in February about leasing our land. And even then, it wasn't a firm thing until we got a deposit which showed up the end of May/first of June and both of us were in Alaska.

Oh well, you live and learn.

I don't think you understand that poster's issue. They will only fly non-stop, period. Driving is the only other option, regardless of cost, inconvenience, number of days en route, hotel cost, cost of time, etc. Nothing to do with math, be it good or bad math. PS in reality it costs much less than 55 cents/mile to operate many cars (especially ones that are more than 3 years old) if the fixed costs are not taken into account (and even if they are). Case in point - the IRS allows 55 cents/mile for business use of vehicle. Most people use this number vs. using actual costs because in reality it is a better deal.

I *fully* understood the poster's issue. They were choking at the price of the FLL nonstop, and said that driving was "nowhere near $2000". Actually it is.

People *think* the IRS 55c/mile is a better deal but they often don't think beyond the cost of gasoline without looking at the big picture. (Would the IRS actually be charitable?? LOL!!) Gasoline is one of the smallest per-mile costs. There are several good online calculators and although a very small minority of owners can operate a car for less than 55c/mile in a, it's not a whole lot less. One set of expenses (for example debt service and depreciation on a new car) is replaced by other costs on a paid-off old klunker (maintenance, ending up with excess miles on a lease, etc). There's good online calculators that do a holistic accounting of costs and it's an eye-opener! An interesting aside...if social costs of private autos are included (highway maintenance, emergency services, pollution, etc) the per-mile cost is in the $1.25-$1.50 range! Admittedly, the "social costs" calculators have their own agenda but they do point out hidden costs most of us don't consider.

I'm not anti-car, in fact I love road trips! For long distance trips I usually rent a car with unlimited miles.

I *fully* understood the poster's issue. They were choking at the price of the FLL nonstop, and said that driving was "nowhere near $2000". Actually it is.

People *think* the IRS 55c/mile is a better deal but they often don't think beyond the cost of gasoline without looking at the big picture. (Would the IRS actually be charitable?? LOL!!) Gasoline is one of the smallest per-mile costs. There are several good online calculators and although a very small minority of owners can operate a car for less than 55c/mile in a, it's not a whole lot less. One set of expenses (for example debt service and depreciation on a new car) is replaced by other costs on a paid-off old klunker (maintenance, ending up with excess miles on a lease, etc).

Better said, those who keep their cars longer than the typical 3 years have drastically lower per mile costs than those who replace their cars every 3 years on average. So yes, those of us who don't replace our cars every 3-5 years are probably what you call "a very small minority." My depreciation cost is under 10 cents per mile. Repairs the past four years have been minimal. Main costs are gas, oil changes, tires and routine maintenance. Is the IRS "charitable"? That is not the issue. The issue is whether 55 cents/mile is what it might cost to drive the car. For many of us as described in my post, no it is not. My cost is drastically less. Having said that, I still claim 55 cents/mile for my business miles when completing my tax return.

Then there is the argument as to whether one should include "fixed costs" into the calculation. The OP is going to pay the cost of the car, interest and insurance whether they drive or fly (and leave the car parked in the garage or at an airport parking lot). So in reality the "out of pocket" cost of driving is going to be way less than 55 cents/mile in any case.

Better said, those who keep their cars longer than the typical 3 years have drastically lower per mile costs than those who replace their cars every 3 years on average. So yes, those of us who don't replace our cars every 3-5 years are probably what you call "a very small minority."

I keep my cars an average of 7-10 years so I know where you're coming from. That said, my 8 year-old, pretty reliable car costs about 65c per mile to operate. We'll leave it at that, and if you choose to be better educated on the real operating costs of a car go to the many online calculators that will take into account your car's age, brand, and your usage habits. Fixed operating costs are very real...if you don't think they are, stop paying registration, tax, and insurance and see what happens! :)

Archived