Free air fare, two for one and more hoopla!

billroddy

Like you I get mail from other lines, (not Hal) offering free air fare, two for one prices, free wine, free beer, free shore excursons, free shipboard credit, free tipping, etc.

I don't believe these are bargains.

Do you?

Bill

Ancient Mariner

Like you I get mail from other lines, (not Hal) offering free air fare, two for one prices, free wine, free beer, free shore excursons, free shipboard credit, free tipping, etc.

Do you?

Bill

Ancient Mariner

Sometimes when you add up Regent inclusive and compare it to HAL ala carte you can at least get some comparables. However, we did note the "free" shore excursions Regent was offering were quite basic and the really good ones were expensive add-on options. The free one might be a trip to the zoo and the add on might be a game reserve --- that sort of thing. How much do you really spend on alcohol each trip to make up the "inclusive" price difference?

However, we have found our alternate cruise company Voyages of Discovery air-cruise packages to be very good because they get very good flights to some remote disembarkation spots. Capetown to Dubai and Dubai to LAX on Emirates Air was as good as we could have wished for. Thank you Voyages of Discovery for the "free" airfare.

I noticed in Regent's recent Cruise Atlas (they call it something else), they did a comparison between their all-inclusive price on one of their ships on an 11 day cruise and a similar cruise on specific ships of HAL, Celebrity, and Princess. An interesting marketing technique.

Sometimes when you add up Regent inclusive and compare it to HAL ala carte you can at least get some comparables. However, we did note the "free" shore excursions Regent was offering were quite basic and the really good ones were expensive add-on options. The free one might be a trip to the zoo and the add on might be a game reserve --- that sort of thing. How much do you really spend on alcohol each trip to make up the "inclusive" price difference?

However, we have found our alternate cruise company Voyages of Discovery air-cruise packages to be very good because they get very good flights to some remote disembarkation spots. Capetown to Dubai and Dubai to LAX on Emirates Air was as good as we could have wished for. Thank you Voyages of Discovery for the "free" airfare.

Regent's deals are interesting but when I compare apples to apples it is still a better deal (so far) to cruise with HAL. I realize Regent is supposed to be a step up, but their prices haven't yet justified me making a switch. I have looked at the shore excursions and frankly, I am not a fan of 40 on a bus - it has nothing to do with price - so this is of little value to me. We normally do our own air far using either FF miles or a 'deal' - however I like selecting MY flights and my times.

Totally agree - everything included with all the bells and whistles is only a deal and in fact, any deal is only a deal only if it is all of benefit to you. If it's not something that will benefit you or you won't lose then it's not a deal;) JMO

Regent's deals are interesting but when I compare apples to apples it is still a better deal (so far) to cruise with HAL. I realize Regent is supposed to be a step up, but their prices haven't yet justified me making a switch. I have looked at the shore excursions and frankly, I am not a fan of 40 on a bus - it has nothing to do with price - so this is of little value to me. We normally do our own air far using either FF miles or a 'deal' - however I like selecting MY flights and my times.

Totally agree - everything included with all the bells and whistles is only a deal and in fact, any deal is only a deal only if it is all of benefit to you. If it's not something that will benefit you or you won't lose then it's not a deal;) JMO

I agree, especially for flights to Europe. If at all possible, I want a day flight, and the default choice when the cruise picks the flights usually is an overnight flight arriving the day the cruise departs. I've been lucky with arrangements when air has been included, but I've heard horror stories of included air and strange routings (and multiple connections) for the "free air." (Not Regent, but with tour companies.) Does Regent allow any choice in the flight times?

Just out of curiosity, on the subject of choosing flights. What does HAL charge for flight deviation? I know they waive the fee for high-star mariners, but what do they charge other pax?

Do you?

Bill

Ancient Mariner

The 2-for-1 prices on that cruise line are based on the brochure rate.

Since I don't think anyone pays brochure rate it's not really a halfprice bargain.

We've cruised on that line around the 'boot' of Italy but that was before the free shore excursions.

Since our cruise had been won, the entire cruise was definitely a bargain for us.

The fare prices though are high enough that I don't think the 'free' drinks etc are a bargain since the high cost of the fare pays for them.

Archived