Passports, visas, etc?

Hi,

We are going on our first cruise in November. To New Caledonia. Just wondering if you take your passports when you get off the ship on the islands? Take copies? Never cruised before so not sure what to do. Also do we need visas to visit there? I still need to sort out passports, does anyone know how long they take?

thanks

I assume you are an Australian citizen?

If this is the case you do not need visas, but will need to have a valid passport for the trip. (I checked this as I was to be doing this cruise in December on a South African passport and required visas, but now that I will have my Australian citizenship and passport by then I don't need a visa)

If you not an Australian citizen, then depensing on your passport you may need a visa, but also make sure you have a valid Australian visa so that you can come back into Australia!!

I have never been on a cruise before so not sure what to do with regards taking passport off the ship with you. I personally plan to have copies of passports, and will take those off the ship with me, while I leave the originals locked up on board. I don't want to have to worry about losing them while off the ship.

Finally with regards to the time to arrange passports, I have been told that it takes a couple of weeks to get a new passport. This is just hearsay though, as I have yet to experience it myself.

Thanks. Yes, I am an australian citizen.

Anybody else know what to do re. passports?

seeing you are an aussie you dont need any visas to cruise to the south pacific, only if you are going to Hawaii or Asia you need one....it can take up to 2 weeks to get your passport and the local post office can do that

some people like to take their passports ashore and get them stamped but the choice is up to you

have a nice cruise

And some cruise lines take possession of your passport at check in and return them end of cruise. This is done so as immigration officials coming on board at some ports do a passport inspection on board with the Pursers Office. That way the foreign officials get a free lunch, LOL.

To go ashore in many ports you will need Photo ID - this can be your drivers licence or one of those RTA issued ID cards if you do not drive in addition to your sea pass card issued by the ship. The photo ID can be required even within Australia if you are docking in a commercial / container port with striict security. What you need to take ashore with you to get through port security and back onto the ship will be spelled out in the ship's newspaper and / or separate leaflets delivered to your cabin. If you are unsure check with the reception / pursers desk. The newpaper provides this plus lists all the activities on board and promos for sales and special deals in shops etc. I always take my ,licence and leave my passport back in the cabin safe unless there is notification to do otherwise in the port information.

Colleen

The most important thing to take with you - also for the children - is your cruise card. They check them when you get to the gangway, or tender in the case of anchorages, and you also have to "ding" on and off the ship every time. (When you put your card in the machine it makes a kind of ding sound.) That is the way they count heads, so to speak. They know who is on or off the ship at any given time. :) We haven't needed to use other ID in the SP islands, only on NZ cruises.

P&O, tell you in the daily...going ashore in New Caledonia, you need your Passport and cruise card. ( no photo copies of passport.)

kind regards, Lorraine :):)

the only time we take our passport ashore in the south pacific is if we want it stamped or we need the duty free in Noumea

Your passport is a very important document and you should keep it secure at all times...I would not take it ashore unless absolutely necessary. However its a good idea to have a photocopy of your passportidentification page and travel insurance with you at all times away from the ship...just in case of emergency.

Sue

Thanks. What kind of ID will the kids need?

If photo ID is required, what DO you take with you for children who do not have a drivers licence? Could someone answer the OP's follow up question?

Colleen

Colleen above says: RTA issued ID cards if no driver's licence is available

I remember that I had to show my photo id (driver's licence) in some ports, could have been Tasmania and NZ. We were asked by Princess to have the photo id with us at all times in addition to the cruise card, but not all Oz ports wanted to see the id.

Archived