RCCL on the Tony Awards

I was surprised to see so many empty seats. It looked like the upper section was empty. I wonder if this was a special performance before or after the usual show. Also it will be interesting to see if any CC'ers were in the audience. I might ask on the roll call for the June 9 Oasis. Also, for some reason, I thought the orchestra was in the pit for these broadway shows. Was the music strictly tape, or was the orchestra off to the side?

You have to understand that Harvey Fierstein (SP?) originated the role of Edna Turnblad in Hairspray on stage (Divine played her in the original film and John Travolta took on the part in the movie musical) and was probably selected to do the introduction for that reason and his rather outrageous costume was thought to be appropriate for the type of show being performed onboard a ship sailing in the Caribbean.

Nothing more than a commercial for RCCL and had no business being part of the Tony Awards.

How could the Tony Awards air without commercials and/or sponsors? :confused:

Besides, the content was exacty related to the purpose of the Tonys, so I don't really understand your comment.

Nothing more than a commercial for RCCL and had no business being part of the Tony Awards.

Bob

Au contraire. The fact that a show that previously won a Tony for its Broadway performances, is now appearing as one of three (at the moment) Broadway style productions apparently satisfied the people who oversee the annual Tony awards which also recognize stage production companies performing in other regions of the country and Broadway on the Ocean (or whatever they call it) fits well with their criteria. The Tony officials are the ones to determine what does and what does not have any business being part of the Tony Awards. They, not you or I, establish the criteria as to what belongs on their awards program, so I'm not sure what your problem is. The connection between an "on the sea" production of a successful Broadway show and the Tonys seems pretty clear to me.

Bob

Yea, I'm not sure how a commercial from one of the sponsors is all that horrible.

That, and it IS a Broadway show (abit edited for time) that they advertised on a ship for a show that is an awards show for Broadway shows.... Seems to fit pretty well.

as pointed out somewhere, RCCL and CBS are close. Not sure what business ties they have, but they are tied.

One of the purposes of the group that presents the Tonys is to encourage theater throughout the country. They support lots of different and unique ways of making theater more accessible to a larger segment of the population so having it on a cruise ship is right up their alley (and I'm sure the sponsorship money from RCCL didn't hurt;) either).

I didn't want to ask what that was, but since you did....What was that?:confused:

I'm pretty sure it was a microphone. The one he was holding was likely a prop. If you watched carefully you would have seen that the other persons with speaking parts also had this device on their foreheads.:)

I'm pretty sure it was a microphone. The one he was holding was likely a prop. If you watched carefully you would have seen that the other persons with speaking parts also had this device on their foreheads.:)

Definitely a microphone, they are used in most...if not nearly all broadway stage productions. You normally can't see them from the audience unless you are very very close.

That was SO cool!!! And I loved the commercial right afterwords!:D

BTW cello56: I love the pic of your greyhounds in your sig <3

Definitely made me want to be on a ship right now - not that that's hard to do.:p

Love the off,off,off,off off off Broadway commercial.:D

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!

I love that they included the position of the ship in the "LIVE FROM" section of the screen. I immediately texted my best friend and made her promise that we will sail on the Allure! I guess their advertising worked?!

Definitely a microphone, they are used in most...if not nearly all broadway stage productions. You normally can't see them from the audience unless you are very very close.

Thanks for the info guys. Always like to learn something new.:)

Archived