The HAL Difference

We are Platinum cruisers on Carnival, and due to the continued cutbacks and degrading of the product last year we decided to give other lines a try. We tried NCL, and loved what they had to offer. Due to my work schedule we can never book anything to far in advance. Last night after comparing prices with NCL, we booked the Westerdam for June 30th to Alaska. The price was just to good to pass up. What are the biggest difference from CCL and NCL? We will also be traveling with our son and his gf, both of which are 25 and our daughter and her friend who are both 20...will they have a good time or will they be bored to death? All, I know about HAL is really the misconceptions, so wanted to post here to get the "real" answers from those who love this line. Either way we are looking forward to getting out of our comfort zone and having a great time visiting the last frontier.

NCL was my first cruise, but that was almost 20 years ago so I can't swear things over there are the same as they were then, but you will find a big difference between the two lines. I have never sailed on Carnival (nor do I desire to) so I can't compare the two. HAL has a bit of an older demographic. HAL cruises are much more laid back and you will never find a belly flop contest or a single contest devoted to a "best" part of a person's anatomy. Comparing each line's newest ships, NCL has the greatest number of alternate dining venues and generally offer a larger program for children and young people. While I don't recall anything particularly special about NCL's service, this is the attribute that brings me back to HAL. I believe they have the best service of any of the mass market or large ship lines. (Although HAL is often referred to as a "premium line" along with Celebrity and Princess.) Comparing them to hotels, I think of HAL as a Hyatt Regency or Westin-type product where NCL conjures images of a nice Best Western or Sheraton. Pricing in comparable. There are plenty of ways to compare and contrast both lines, but hopefully I have given you a feel of the differences based on my experience.

I haven't sailed recently on Carnival (1992) or NCL (1998) so "comparisons" may be a bit of a stretch. I think this will be interesting for you. Your children MAY be at an awkward age for HAL with adult activities more sedate than they'll want and too old for the great kids program. On the other hand, Alaska cruises are really about the ports and they will likely be so busy ashore the shipboard experience may not matter much. They should really pay attention to that first sea day to see if they could be comfortable on other HAL cruises.

One real HAL difference. HAL really does pay attention to destinations. One of the regular positions on a HAL ship is "port guide", and these people are good sources of information and I have never seen one acting as a shill for the ship's excursions. Their presentations should be well worth your time.

Roy

Although it has been quite awhile since I have cruised NCL I have friends that do. I like the laid back atmosphere of the Hal ships and the lack of too many poolside and other type games. When we were on our Alaska trip on the Oosterdam we spent most time off the ship with excursions so shipboard activities were not that important. I think very different fro

a Caribbean cruise where activites play a bigger role. We enjoyed the thermal suite and did some trivia when time permitted and loved it. Hope you and your family have a great time. Alaska is amazing and we are going back next year. My friends enjoy the alternative dining options on NCL but we don't like to pay for all of our good food. They said the free dining was not good so they eat at the extra fee restaurants. Food is subjective of course. They like to do a lot of things onboard so the games etc are important to them. I don't have mine handy but perhaps someone has a daily explorer that could give you better insight from an Alaska cruise.

As a previous CCL cruiser you will be a One star mariner. So you can get invited to parties with cocktails thrown in. You can go to the HAL website to see what other benefits you get onboard with that.

Dining is subjective. The premium restaurants on both are good. HAL's is less expensive then the current CCL offering. It is my opinion that HAL hasn't cut back in the main dining room quite as far as CCL has. A first time HAL cruiser should know that they can order off the full dinner menu for delivery to their stateroom if they wish. If you select a time that the MDR is open on the room service breakfast card, you can order eggs benedict, etc.

Around 5pm or so, in different lounges they usually have a buy one cocktail get one for a dollar extra. They also have canapes in those lounges.

You didn't state what kind of state room you were travelling in, but if you are in an upper level suite and used to travelling that way on CCL your world may be rocked...

If you are a wine drinker, you may bring on all you want for consumption in your stateroom as well as soda. There is no limit on either as there is on CCL.

Hugh in Dallas

As a previous CCL cruiser you will be a One star mariner. So you can get invited to parties with cocktails thrown in. You can go to the HAL website to see what other benefits you get onboard with that.

Dining is subjective. The premium restaurants on both are good. HAL's is less expensive then the current CCL offering. It is my opinion that HAL hasn't cut back in the main dining room quite as far as CCL has. A first time HAL cruiser should know that they can order off the full dinner menu for delivery to their stateroom if they wish. If you select a time that the MDR is open on the room service breakfast card, you can order eggs benedict, etc.

Around 5pm or so, in different lounges they usually have a buy one cocktail get one for a dollar extra. They also have canapes in those lounges.

You didn't state what kind of state room you were travelling in, but if you are in an upper level suite and used to travelling that way on CCL your world may be rocked...

If you are a wine drinker, you may bring on all you want for consumption in your stateroom as well as soda. There is no limit on either as there is on CCL.

Hugh in Dallas

Thanks for the info and were looking forward to our cruise. In regards to being a one star mariner...do I need to provide HAL with my CCL VIFP number or will they have it automatically?

HAL always offers the best itineraries so hopefully that will be entertainment enough for the most part - long busy port days. How many sea days do you have? There are the typical cruise activities all day long: indoor movies, pool, library, lectures, games, group events, special buffets and teas, cooking classes, sports activities, gym, spa and entertainment and dancing at night. Just moving from meal to meal with only a few hours in-between works for us as daily "entertainment" :p YMMV.

Thanks for the info and were looking forward to our cruise. In regards to being a one star mariner...do I need to provide HAL with my CCL VIFP number or will they have it automatically?[/quote]

They just know! :D It's magical! :p

Not always...always check first. My wife cruised 29 days, HAL only showed 7 :eek:

Thanks for the info and were looking forward to our cruise. In regards to being a one star mariner...do I need to provide HAL with my CCL VIFP number or will they have it automatically?[/quote]

They just know! :D It's magical! :p

I agree with the above poster....No, Not always be sure to call HAL and or your TA to make sure they are aware you are a past Passenger of CCL, they may in fact need you CCL number

Yes I'd deal with that Mariner status now. Also if you are a CCL stockholder you are also eligible for OBC on HAL.

Your travel agent or the HAL agent should have asked that question when you booked in case there was a discount available.

Hugh in Dallas

I am not a fan of NCL, but we recently sailed HAL and it just is not for us... And service was the biggest culprit. I cannot see the age groups you mention enjoying a HAL cruise as much as some of the other lines out there.

We've sailed CCL NCL and HAL. I like HAL for not being so LOUD and crowded especially at the Ldo buffet. HAL has been more respectful if you go to a lounge and so you don't want a drink, they leave you alone unlike on NCL who baggered us to death. HAL is not in your face on pushing things to sell.

I've always found good food on any ship. I go with the ship's strenghts and that varies even on the same line or the same ship from time to time. You'll find things you may miss from CCL becasue it will be different on HAL but do take advantage of what they offer and you should have a great vacation.

Remember to have some fresh squeezed OJ, at least one real breakfast from room service, take your wine on board with you, sodas and bottled water too if you prefer it, go to the embarkation luncheon in the MDR instead of joining the hoards in the Lido, enjoy picking up towels at the pool and hot tub (which won't be overcrowded) and being called by name for the whole cruise. If you enjoy artwork, check out an iPod tour from the librarian that give you aobut a 45 min tour of the ship's art.

We took grandkids with us to Alaska and they only did the kids activities part of the time. Alaska is so beautiful we spent more time just hanging out together watching for wildlife and being together. Find some of the nice outdoor decks to enjoy, especially the bow. They should be serving hot pea soup ther during glacier viewing and hot chocolate too - I bought a HAL mug and got free refills on the bow all day (but it's free in teh Lido anyway if you want to go there and warm up:) ). Enjoy and feel pampered. m--

Yes I'd deal with that Mariner status now. Also if you are a CCL stockholder you are also eligible for OBC on HAL.

Your travel agent or the HAL agent should have asked that question when you booked in case there was a discount available.

Hugh in Dallas

Checked with HAL and they had automatically added a Mariner Number for us.

Checked with HAL and they had automatically added a Mariner Number for us.

As it is hotter then Hades in Texas, as I'm sure it is in Florida, I wish I was going along. Have a fine cruise to Alaska.

Hugh in Dallas

Just like other cruise lines, I think that you need to select your HAL ship carefully. They are not all the same. Same with itinerary/time as we have found that this will greatly impact demographics.

HAL ships seem to be very quiet at night. For our tastes, their entertainment program is clearly not a reason that we sometimes select HAL.

Would I take my 28 year old son an a HAL cruise. Probably not, he would be bored to death at night.

I love HAL! I first cruised HAL in my early 30's and I loved the fact that it was not a drunken party! Been there done that in college! :D

I never felt the age thing. EVER! I did notice that there were not as many families and children on HAL, and I prefer that. Sorry, but I professionally work with children and I need a break! ;)

I think HAL is doing a lot more now (8 years later) from what I understand, to cater to the younger crowds and families. There are a lot of threads here about that.

I still don't want a party atmosphere and the quiet evenings on a veranda or top deck of the ship are all the entertainment I need! :)

I love HAL! I first cruised HAL in my early 30's and I loved the fact that it was not a drunken party! Been there done that in college! :D

I never felt the age thing. EVER! I did notice that there were not as many families and children on HAL, and I prefer that. Sorry, but I professionally work with children and I need a break! ;)

I think HAL is doing a lot more now (8 years later) from what I understand, to cater to the younger crowds and families. There are a lot of threads here about that.

I still don't want a party atmosphere and the quiet evenings on a veranda or top deck of the ship are all the entertainment I need! :)

Thank you for adding this contemporary perspective. Glad you had such a good time on our HAL ships. They are special.

One CCL cruise was enough. Then, we sailed HAL and were sold. There's no going back.

Ditto this! Was on a Carnival ship 2 years ago and the same route on a Hal ship 4 years ago (and on HAL recently) and it definately is a different experience. Carnival is better for the younger set and those who like to party late. Food is much better on HAL. Service goes to HAL as well.

I liken the difference to Vegas (NCL and Carnival) and Lake Tahoe (HAL). Both are gambling centers, but the clientel is alot different, and the things to do are also more limited.

DaveOKC

The Hendricks have chosen their ship. If they have sailed a Carnival 'Spirit' class ship, the biggest difference will be the decor.

It is a port intensive Alaska trip. There will be plenty to do each day in ports to burn off any extra energy the younger members of the Clan may have.

I don't think I've read any Carnival Alaska reviews that talk about closing down the dance clubs and sleeping in all day.

The fact that HAL might not be 'your' choice to take the younger members of your clans on is irrelevant to the Hendricks situation. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt that they know their clan and their likes and wish them bon voyage!

Hugh in Dallas

From what I understand, there are a number of people who are/were on the Alaska Zuiderdam cruise who really wished they had been on a Carnival ship.

Any Carnival ship.....as long as it had functioning toilets! That would be a very nice difference.

Archived