50 lbs. B2b cruises, what to bring?

LSauls7537

Europe, Barcelona, Italy, Croatia, then canary islands and St Martin and Antigua but only 50 pounds. (Oct 25)

We have seasoned cruisers, need to know how and what you brought to get past the cold in the Med and the hot in the Caribbean and stayed within your 50 lbs! I thought it would be easy, but it's not...29 days packing...50 pounds...ALL suggestions are appreciated.

Linda

Europe, Barcelona, Italy, Croatia, then canary islands and St Martin and Antigua but only 50 pounds. (Oct 25)

We have seasoned cruisers, need to know how and what you brought to get past the cold in the Med and the hot in the Caribbean and stayed within your 50 lbs! I thought it would be easy, but it's not...29 days packing...50 pounds...ALL suggestions are appreciated.

Linda

Bite the bullet and pay for an extra bag. (Also make sure bout your airline weight limits, some European carriers have a 40 lb limit.)

Linda

Linda...last year on the Magic Med/TransAtlantic 28 days plus 2 extra days in Barcelona, we took two 50 pounds suitcases plus one small carryon and just paid $50 for the third checked suitcase. I wanted to have choices...just in case. We were actually a little underweight on all three suitcases around 45-47 pounds which allowed us to bring back some souvenirs. Our carrier allowed three at 50 lbs and 62 inches, plus our carryon, but as another poster stated some only allow 40 pounds. Just check with your airlines. We plan on doing the same this year on the Med/TA on the Breeze.

Think layers, tank tops for heat and a sweater on top when cold. Zip off pants are great too, shorts &pants in one.

Bring one black dress with different coloured shawls to make it look different each time. One pair of black sandals to wear to dinner each night. Shoes are heavy, if you can limit them you'll be ahead.

Plan on wearing the same thing more than once. We usually over pack any ways.

I'll be going through the same exercise shortly too. Never fun, but once you get there, you won't think about it. Have a great trip!

Think layers, tank tops for heat and a sweater on top when cold. Zip off pants are great too, shorts &pants in one.

Bring one black dress with different coloured shawls to make it look different each time. One pair of black sandals to wear to dinner each night. Shoes are heavy, if you can limit them you'll be ahead.

I'll be going through the same exercise shortly too. Never fun, but once you get there, you won't think about it. Have a great trip!

BBM

When we went around South America for 49 days aboard the Carnival Splendor in 2009, I never would have survived (let alone enjoyed) the experience if I hadn't packed in layers!!!

HAPPY CRUISING!!

THANKS for the tips, layers it shall be and yep, kinda guess we really just need to get over it and bring an extra bag and pay for it.

Seabrook- see you on board. We're doing the med and B2B with the TA.

Linda

Carnival has washers/driers for $2/each per load. Take clothes that you can pop in and out of the machines. I would not take an extra suitcase or over pack. You could take plastic garbage bags and decompress air for dirty clothes on the way home which leaves room for souveniors :) If you wish to participate in formal nights go for black slacks with nice tops or white shirts, maybe with a string of pearls for the ladies.

Mostly relax and have a wonderful trip!

Sounds just like packing for an Alaskan cruise--

Layers, layers, layers.

OP-

You are not going for 29 days you are going for 4 weeks.

Pack for one week and repeat.

Carnival has washers/driers for $2/each per load. Take clothes that you can pop in and out of the machines. I would not take an extra suitcase or over pack. You could take plastic garbage bags and decompress air for dirty clothes on the way home which leaves room for souveniors :) If you wish to participate in formal nights go for black slacks with nice tops or white shirts, maybe with a string of pearls for the ladies.

Mostly relax and have a wonderful trip!

This is the best idea yet. Take some detergent and wash out a few things in the sink at night. The weather might be warmer then you think. You can always buy sweat shirts if you need them. My husband refers to them as "brag shirts"

We did a euro trip last year with another couple. Their first time in Europe

We paid the extra fee’s for the baggage. They elected to do the fugal thing, packed light, mixed and matched , did laundry in sinks, wrinkle release ect ect.. we spent more time as they freted about whether their clothes were dry enough to pack for the next destination and when we look back at some of the amazing pics ,they look like hobos ( their words, not mime) .. I would suggest pay the fees

Hope you have a blast!

THANKS for the tips, layers it shall be and yep, kinda guess we really just need to get over it and bring an extra bag and pay for it.

Seabrook- see you on board. We're doing the med and B2B with the TA.

Linda

Hey Linda...

Looking forward to meeting you onboard the Breeze for the Med and TA. Last year on the Magic Med/TA cruise I did wash some delicate items in the Magic laundry room. It was $3 to wash and $3 to dry. I don't like sending my things out to have Carnival wash them in hot water-- I'm afraid they will either shrink or turn pink! But that's just me. My clothes seem to shrink after 28 days on cruise anyway...and it probably doesn't have anything to do with laundry!!! :D I just threw in some of the Purel 3 and 1 Laundry sheets in my luggage. I travel with DH during the year on his job and sometimes we are are gone 3 or 4 or more weeks at a time. The Purel 3/1 sheets work well. Even on those trips, I will bite the bullet and bring an extra suitcase or two--just in case!!! I don't want to spend too much time of my vacation/trip time doing laundry. On the Mediterranean/TA the laundry rooms were busy!!! We have never had any issues finding a porter to help with luggage if needed. I saw a lot of people on the Magic last year that had 4 or more bags. Just do what makes you feel comfortable. I agree it is good to dress in layers--not something we do too often here on the Texas Gulf Coast!

Sherrie:)

In addition to 1 50 lb bag each you can also each take a bag onboard the plane. I can get 3 pair of slacks, 6-7 tops, a pair of shoes, pj's, jewelry,curling iron & the quart size baggie w/makeup in my 21" rolling suitcase. On a 30 day trip we pack for 10-12 days & repeat the wardrobe, hand wash a few items & use ships wash & fold service for things like jeans, tshirts, workout clothes&DH undies.

Archived