First solo cruise

JWinATL

I have gone on two singles' cruises after the death of my husband, and they are not for me (too much like high school-LOL). I am very outgoing and not at all uneasy about taking life as it comes. Having said that, has anyone ever gone solo on Celebrity; and, if so, what recommendations would you have for me? Dining options? Should I do traditional dining at a table for 8 to 10? HELP!

I have gone on two singles' cruises after the death of my husband, and they are not for me (too much like high school-LOL). I am very outgoing and not at all uneasy about taking life as it comes. Having said that, has anyone ever gone solo on Celebrity; and, if so, what recommendations would you have for me? Dining options? Should I do traditional dining at a table for 8 to 10? HELP!

Hi, I have been on two Celebrity cruises going solo and both times I requested early traditional dining. I was a bit worried about the dining after reading horror stories under the solo postings. As soon as I boarded the ships (Constellation and Solstice), I checked in the main dining room to be certain that I had been seated at a table for eight. As it turned out, I had delightful dinner companions. On the first cruise, I was seated with two British couples who had known each other for 40 years and a couple from Alaska. On the second cruise , I was seated with 3-4 couples. On the second cruise, not everyone showed up for each dinner but there was always someone to eat with. I have been on other cruises not solo and have selected the anytime dining which was a better option for those situations. I am looking into booking another Celebrity cruise and if I end up going solo, I will definitely choose traditional dining with a table for eight. Nancy

Only cruised solo once (on NCL) and had an OK time, its just so much more fun with a partner. Have done a couple of Celebrity cruises with a friend/roomate and had a fantastic time. Any chance of finding a friend or (dare I say) even a family member to share expenses and experiences? The penalty of solo cruising is paying double fare or at least the "single supplement" which can be anywhere from 25%-100%.

There ARE quite a few solo cruisers... male, female, gay, straight on Celebrity and finding friends is pretty easy in almost any venue from dance lessons to cards, art or excercise classes, shows and shore excursions, or dining and drinking. I prefer select dining to maximize flexibility in both time and company. If you want to sit with the same people at the same table at the same time every night, you can with select, or you can do every single night at a different table at a different time with different people, or anywhere in between. I like meeting new people at tables for 6, but you are the best judge of what you enjoy.

At ANY rate I can't believe you will have anything less than a FANTASTIC time on ANY Celebrity cruise (unless you are one of those very few, spoiled rotten, grumpy, old, un-pleasable-under-any-circumstances cruisers we all run into on occasion:p) Have fun!!

Thanks so much for your replies! I am aware of the single supplement, but I prefer to sail in my own cabin. It's just me and my greyhound at home, so I am used to being alone.

As for dining, on the singles' cruises I have been on, they have dedicated tables, but it is pretty much anytime dining otherwise. So, you can sit with friends or move around within the group. I just don't want to eat dinner alone. I am very much a people person. It sounds like either select or traditional dining options would work for me for my first solo.

I have my eye on the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan in December, and I am excited (and nervous). Wish me luck!

I have done 4 solo cruises with Celebrity and had a fantastic time on every one. 2 on Infinity, 1 on Constellation and 1 on Solstice. I always have picked traditional dining with table for 8 for the later seating ( I am a night owl and find more night owls on the 2nd seating) I have never had a problem with tablemates being unpleasant - I have always had very fascinating tablemates - usually the highlight of the day. The mixers for solo travelers are not single's mixers, they are more just a way to get some of the solo travelers together. There are lots of different solo travelers on-board, as noted above: gay, straight, young, older, divorced, widowed, no one to travel with, those who love their independence ( I fell in the quite young and no one to travel with category) - you name it - loads of different types. It is very much not a single's mixer to find dates! (although I have seen it happen)

I've never had any problem "collecting people" as my mother calls it - I am very much a people person and chat with those around me till I find my crowd! At the Martini Bar, at the shows, at dinner, at Cellar Masters, at the different music venues - most everyone I have come into contact with has been friendly and chatty and willing to share a table if there is no space, etc. You should have no problems!

Go and enjoy - you will have a great time - and that is a wonderful itinerary. Be sure to join your roll call once you are booked - great opportunity to "meet" others on your cruise before being on-board, to make plans for shore excursions, etc. It is a great tool.

Enjoy- i am jealous, no cruising this fall for me- doing the Olympics this summer and it is taking up most of my cruise budget!

I have traveled solo since my husband's passing 10 years ago. When I do selected I tell them I will join a table and meet many from other places. When I choose early I always get table for 8. It works out either way. I also join in on the M&M groups and usually meet one or two other single. Our group have several shore ex with private companies going. I am going on 2 most are too long for me.

I am single and sail with my son (now 11). He is usually in the kids program and doesn't like the formal dining. I do the early seating and ask for a large table. Naturally they do tend to put me at a table with other couples traveling with children but at least I have a lot in common with these people. So you do tend to socialize with some of these people in other areas of the ship and even off the ship.

I love trivia! I go to all of the games and you end up seeing the same faces at these events and make some more new friends.

If you do an excursion you will be with some familiar faces and this is also a good time to bond with other guests.

Also- go to the Roll Call for your cruise you may find friends there before you even set sail. Have a great time on your cruise.

I usually always travel alone....too many cruises to count. Am going on Celebrity this November.

Picking traditional dining is really the only way to go. If you choose select, there may not be anyone to sit with. I've never had any bad experiences with dining. I have sat with all singles, mixes of singles and couples and on the last cruise it was three couples and me and I had a ball. The one piece of advice is on the first night, ask you table mates that if they are not going to be there the next night to let you know, so that you will not come down to an empty table.

Good idea about checking with others the first night! I appreciate all of the suggestions I have received. My mother used to say that I "never knew a stranger," so that opens up a lot of opportunities! I totally don't mind going places alone. I was a commercial mortgage loan officer when I worked, and I had to hit different cities cold to meet with new prospects. You get to hone your "spidy sense" that way! I'm going to do it!

Thanks, all.

I always sail solo as well. Definitely check your roll call. That is a great

way to meet other people:)

I just came back from my first cruise to the Med and our roll call was one

of the best I have ever participated in.....just wonderful!

Now, after 9 years of cruising there are some that are no so friendly but

that happens sometimes. Once you get on the ship? Most folks are

really fun!

As for dining? That always seems to get many different replies.

Up until last year I always did traditional dining with an 8 top;). My last

3 cruises I changed to "Select" (Celebrity's version of "Anytime Dining")

and on my next sailing I decided to go back to Traditional.....so it

really depends on you. I sort of miss having the same wait staff and

same table......that is just me.

Hope you have a great cruise!

I usually always travel alone....too many cruises to count. Am going on Celebrity this November.

Picking traditional dining is really the only way to go. If you choose select, there may not be anyone to sit with. I've never had any bad experiences with dining. I have sat with all singles, mixes of singles and couples and on the last cruise it was three couples and me and I had a ball. The one piece of advice is on the first night, ask you table mates that if they are not going to be there the next night to let you know, so that you will not come down to an empty table.

What cruise are you sailing on in November? I just booked SUMMIT:D

Can't wait to sail her again!:)

JW, I (single 60 y.o. woman)travel solo on Celebrity, and always have a wonderful time. My first recommendation is to find & become active in your Roll Call. Even before booking, check out the Roll Call for the prospective cruise if it's already set up to get a feel for your fellow cruisers. You'll find a lot of new friends...just a word of advice: don't latch onto just one or two couples for socializing, even if they want to adopt you. Circulate! Share your fabulous, scintillating, fascinating self with lots of people.:)

Second, while I usually travel AQ on X, I'll be non-AQ on my 2 upcoming Summit cruises and so this will be my first non-Blu experience. I am going to try a table for 8 or 10 in the MDR, late dining (even at 60 I don't like early dinners!) and am sure I'll meet some great folks at my table. If it's not a congenial group, or I am the odd woman out, I will ask to be moved.:cool:

Finally, be outgoing when you want company. Sit at the bar, esp the Martini Bar, and sit next to people and say hello. Invite another solo to join you if you have a lovely windowside table in Cafe al Bacio. Talk to the bartenders and/orople at the next table. Unless you really want to read, don't bury your nose in a book...uh..Kindle.

I just came off a 13 nt Transatlantic cruise and dined alone only 2 nights in Blu, by choice. Every other night people I met or new friends from my Roll Call asked me to join them or we had dinner events already planned. I made wonderful friends, and have memories to last a lifetime.

Hope this helps!

Archived