Room service - currency preference?

Bluezed

We are on Eclipse out of Southampton later this year. We do tend to use room service a lot and are happy to tip on each occassion.

Does anyone know if the staff have a preferred currency for Euros, £'s or $'s.

Thanks

We are on Eclipse out of Southampton later this year. We do tend to use room service a lot and are happy to tip on each occassion.

Does anyone know if the staff have a preferred currency for Euros, £'s or $'s.

Thanks

They prefer dollars as most of the time that money is being sent to their home countries...

On our TA to Europe last month, our room steward said he preferred euro but that was at the beginning of the season in Europe. Sometimes they use their extra cash for outings and supplies from the ports. Dollars aren't spendable in all European ports.

I'm sure they'd be most appreciative of whatever you gave them.

They get paid in $US for their paycheck. My understanding, however, that they will be happy to receive any of the currency you listed, as well as others when sailing in Asia, down under, etc. if you keep to a standard currency that they can easily send home or change, they will happily take what you give.

Besides, am y from the US tip $2 for room service. If you tip £2, I'm sure they'd be quite happy!

On our Caribbean cruise the staff all said US dollars were better, but on a recent Europe cruise most said Euros were better. If they send the currency to their home country they have to convert it anyway so it does not matter, but giving them the local currency is apparently useful for when they go ashore on time off and go shopping and use the internet cafes, etc.

I would steer away from the Greek Drachma, Italian Lira and the Spanish Peseta..... Its only a matter of time before the Euro collapses and we go back to how currency worked much better for the economy in the olden days.

Archived