Cutting the bands may cost CCL

No, I made my comment because lately there is so much whining and complaining on here and some are being SO dramatic about the changes. Seriously it is getting depressing. I keep sifting through the threads to find anything with some positivity and it is nearly impossible right now. If people don't like the product anymore than go find something else, plain and simple. I for one like cruising and the prices have hardly changed since I cruised 10 years ago, of course they have to make some cuts...it is a business. With everything going on in the world right now we should be THANKFUL we have the luxury to take a vacation.

They are the people who are love Carnival blindly as if they were their family. They react as if someone made a joke about their mother. They're desperate to be a part of something, all about the need to feel connected. Whatever works I guess.

No, I made my comment because lately there is so much whining and complaining on here and some are being SO dramatic about the changes. Seriously it is getting depressing. I keep sifting through the threads to find anything with some positivity and it is nearly impossible right now. If people don't like the product anymore than go find something else, plain and simple. I for one like cruising and the prices have hardly changed since I cruised 10 years ago, of course they have to make some cuts...it is a business. With everything going on in the world right now we should be THANKFUL we have the luxury to take a vacation.

Maybe some of us are willing to pay more for an equal or better product? I do understand (though) that the market forces are pushing the general cruise market in a different direction.

Eventually though cheaper does not become better or acceptable. I've been critical of Carnival, but I hae also seen it on my most recent Royal cruise.

I am certainly not devoted to Carnival, it has just been the most available from the port I sail out of. That being said I do like what they have to offer. I haven't been able to cruise as much the last few years so maybe I am just vacation deprived so I am not as picky. There are a million other vacation options out there, choices and variety make the world go round. And honestly cuts are not just happening on cruises, have any of these folks been to a restaurant lately? Our favorite italian restaurant stopped serving kalamata olives as appetizers...but you can buy them for $3.

Maybe some of us are willing to pay more for an equal or better product? I do understand (though) that the market forces are pushing the general cruise market in a different direction.

Eventually though cheaper does not become better or acceptable. I've been critical of Carnival, but I hae also seen it on my most recent Royal cruise.

Welllll....I have sat here reading all of the postings and.....I just have to say something here..The Glory??? We have been on her 4 times and have NEVER been disipointed...so don't regret making that final payment...you will enjoy your chioce,,hey that's just me...In 2011 the Glory did have a live band by the pool...we were on the Dream this last April 2012 and they had a Dj and Micheal Jacksons THIS IS IT on the big screen for 3 days (every afternoon) the first day was nice but day 2 and day 3 was a bit over the top....But.... we still had a blast always some place other than the Lido Deck if you need to get away.... it is a big ship.. WHEWWW I feel better lol

After running around in Port all day and having a 8 year old with an early bedtime, I don't think I have ever been up past 9 or 9:30 on a cruise. Though during "at sea" days, I will miss finding some live tunes. Recently the "solo guys with guitars" and the boring cheap DJ's just don't cut it, plus the last cruise had one awful piano player.

I sent an e-mail to Cahill regarding the Cover Band rumors about a week ago. I had also mentioned about bringing back Calypso Bands on the Lido Decks. Here is the main part in what his assistant wrote to me

"We recognize the enjoyment the cover bands offer our guests. As part of Fun Ship 2.0, we are currently in the process of re-evaluating our entertainment offerings across the fleet. Rest assured, our goal is to have even more live music in public areas than we do today, which will continue to provide the fun and memorable atmosphere you and other guests no doubt look forward to. "

I guess the key word is "re-evaluating" but I did get a reply back. So here's hoping. Mary49

but you didn't meet the ones who will cruise now because they got rid of the god awful music

about time carnival joined the 21st century... those bands were a serious W T F.. now to get some more dj's and edm going on the ships instead of lame 80/90's music. But cruiseships usually are about a decade behind the times to what's happening on land.

350,000 people at EDC vegas paying $300 a pop just for tickets..and a lot more on going and spending. They should try to tap into that.

LMAO! They are still calling them discos... thats like 40 years behind the times...

I actually agree... it's not just new cruisers, it's also younger people they are starting to reach out too. I'd go to the club and shake my bootie to some good hip hop before I'd bust a move to steel drum crap I've never heard before...

Have thought the cover bands such as Blood Power and Music Unlimited were excellent and disappointed that quite a few ships will not have it anymore.

Do you have any facts to back this up.

Or is this just another Cruise Critic rumor which is usually wrong.

We got off the Valor last week and there was still the cheesy cover band and singers, and piano players, and the duo on the Lido deck... I didn't notice anything different then my past few cruises. The ONLY thing I heard about anything was that Carnival MAY cut the position of the piano player/singer thats in the atrium...and that was in passing definitely not confirmed.

Do any of you musical doomsdayers have a date when this is supposed to happen?

The bands have been dwindling for a while now. No rumor to it. They are also working to phase out the full showbands. And the Heald denied it, so we know its true LOL

Who are all these people who say, to perfectly reasonably comments things like, "Bye, enjoy the other lines" or "Drop it already" or "just GO already!"? How can these people be rude. I gather that one sat too long sitting on a porter, and another is a wench, but come on people, folks can have opinions without being rude.

They, maybe, resent the fact they're RED-CARDERS . . . LOL:D

They, maybe, resent that some of us have been cruising so long on Carnival that we can PLEASANTLY remember what it used to be like and how, unfortunately, it will probably never ever return to that period or level of service again.:( I personally see this whole series of "cutbacks" as just a popular company trying desperately to STAY IN BUSINESS. This recession/depression has hit the cruise industry very hard.

And, seriously, in the GRAND SCHEME of THINGS, its really much ado about nothing. There are so many things that can make and have made me so happy in life, I really don't care what Carnival does (and I'm 4 cruises away from MILESTONE). When I see a week clear to go, I'll just go to my favorite website where different cruise agencies BID for my business and SEE WHAT HAPPENS. Maybe it'll be Carnival, and maybe it won't. So many other factors determine how, when and with whom I cruise. (so far Carnival has been dominating this event, however) :)

Thanks.

So it is just a Cruise Critic thing.

Much more than that. Only had a soloist on the Liberty in January, and on the Valor the showband was stripped down to the bare minimum. Believe what you want but this is the direction Carnival is headed. I won't miss the band groups onboard even though a lot of people will. But I have always loved the showband, and seeing it slim down sucks. This really isn't a rumor or a Cruise Critic thing, its just what in happening. I am personally not bothered by it, but I have seen it myself and that's what the thread was about.

Much more than that. Only had a soloist on the Liberty in January, and on the Valor the showband was stripped down to the bare minimum. Believe what you want but this is the direction Carnival is headed. I won't miss the band groups onboard even though a lot of people will. But I have always loved the showband, and seeing it slim down sucks. This really isn't a rumor or a Cruise Critic thing, its just what in happening. I am personally not bothered by it, but I have seen it myself and that's what the thread was about.

And I've done 15 Carnival cruises from 2005 to last month across 5 ships and have seen a cover band on all of them.

And I know of at least three cover bands under contract though most of this year.

I also know that sometime for some cruise a ship will not have a cover band onboard. That is because of vacations and things like that.

And I've done 15 Carnival cruises from 2005 to last month across 5 ships and have seen a cover band on all of them.

And I know of at least three cover bands under contract though most of this year.

I also know that sometime for some cruise a ship will not have a cover band onboard. That is because of vacations and things like that.

It is a handful of bands left. Not near what it was covering 20 ships a couple years ago. This is the direction Carnival is headed, for whatever reason. A lot of the bands were just bad. Might be having problem finding good talent willing to sail for long stints.

BTW the foolish rumors that JH talks about on his blog or fb page are either people with very few posts on here or trolls.

Many of these so called rumors have been on the money.

It's not a cruisecritic thing. John even said what has been done on the Breeze with the cuts for the live music will trickle to the other ships over the next few months.

There is no band on deck on the Breeze, just a dj, and this will be the case on other ships soon.

There is no party band on the Breeze, just the house band, a duo, and two soloists. The ships the still have a party band will lose them, and ships will soon just have a duo and two soloists and two djs like the Breeze in the next few months.

BRING BACK THE PARTY BANDS AND CALYPSO 4 PIECE BANDS.

BTW the foolish rumors that JH talks about on his blog or fb page are either people with very few posts on here or trolls.

Many of these so called rumors have been on the money.

And just as many have been wrong.:D

If you like I could post some of them.

It is a handful of bands left. Not near what it was covering 20 ships a couple years ago. This is the direction Carnival is headed, for whatever reason. A lot of the bands were just bad. Might be having problem finding good talent willing to sail for long stints.

Again long on opinion and a little short on facts.

And just as many have been wrong.:D

If you like I could post some of them.

No thanks but notice the leakage of the loyalty program which was right on the money.

We were than told by Carnival that it was not really correct but funny thing though, IT WAS

LMAO! They are still calling them discos... thats like 40 years behind the times...

I actually agree... it's not just new cruisers, it's also younger people they are starting to reach out too. I'd go to the club and shake my bootie to some good hip hop before I'd bust a move to steel drum crap I've never heard before...

I have to agree with this...I have a lot of gripes with the Carnival of today but the lack of live music is way far down the list.

I'm still young and still go to clubs so I'm very interested in how I'll like the DJs. My cruise in July will be my first time experiencing it since the change.

I think its obvious Carnival is trying to get younger. The whole "disco" thing for example. Who in the world still refers to them as such? The newer ships no longer have discos. They have clubs. Dream: Caliente Dance Club, Magic: Vibe Dance Club, Breeze: Liquid Night Club.

I liked the live calypso bands, but I am not at all opposed to DJs. I just need to see how good they are...

Archived