Didn't want to do it but did it anyway....

ACRmom

We broke down, bit the bullet and applied for our passports. I know we don't need them but like the insurance we will have them if we need them. It is just a little extra peace of mind.:) Now I have to plan an out of country trip in addition to our upcoming cruise. :p

We broke down, bit the bullet and applied for our passports. I know we don't need them but like the insurance we will have them if we need them. It is just a little extra peace of mind.:) Now I have to plan an out of country trip in addition to our upcoming cruise. :p

Good for you. You 'probably' wouldn't need them but in an emergency you 'might' need them....better safe than sorry. I sure wouldn't leave the country without one.

We purchase Insurance as a 'just in case', but we require our passports (Canadian) to travel and cruise. At least your passports are good for 10 years...ours are 5 years. :(

Mine expired in May and I was gonna wait a while to renew it since we arent planning a trip out of the country (besides our cruise)...but decided to renew it before our July cruise...just feel more comfortable I guess. Plus it will be nice to have it if we want to do a drive up to Niagara (Canada side) or a little getaway to Mexico. Wouldnt want to have to pay the extra money to get it processed at rush.

Good for you.

Now you can travel the world.

So much easier with a passport. Less paper work you have to carry. You can use it at the airport for Drivers License and at the cruise ship in place of two papers DL and BC. You don't have to worry about it getting ripped like the birth certificate and won't have ot find the consulates office if you are out of the country and have to fly home!

Now you have an excuse to fly to those islands in the Caribbean or to Cancun or Cozumel.

We purchase Insurance as a 'just in case', but we require our passports (Canadian) to travel and cruise. At least your passports are good for 10 years...ours are 5 years. :(

We have to renew ours also, sure wish they were good for 10!! but at least we only have to do 2 passports as our daughters are old enough and have jobs they can pay thier own.

We have a concert in Detroit in August :D, then I will be renewing since they expire in October. Cant even fill out my funpass for our next cruise till thats done :rolleyes:

You can now walk a tightrope across Niagara Falls.

So much easier with a passport. Less paper work you have to carry. You can use it at the airport for Drivers License and at the cruise ship in place of two papers DL and BC. You don't have to worry about it getting ripped like the birth certificate and won't have ot find the consulates office if you are out of the country and have to fly home!

Not that I'm necessarily advocating a BC over a passport, but I was a little amused by the "two papers" comment.

Would you not take your DL (which serves as a photo ID to embark at some ports) if you were using a passport?

Not that I'm necessarily advocating a BC over a passport, but I was a little amused by the "two papers" comment.

Would you not take your DL (which serves as a photo ID to embark at some ports) if you were using a passport?

My DL goes on the cruise since we drive to port but when we leave the ship Wallet stays in safe and passports are carried in what ever bag I am carrying with supplies in it.

You can now walk a tightrope across Niagara Falls.

LOL and they did ask for his passport and his reason for crossing the border, but he got a stamp in his passport, I have never gotten one crossing over to Detroit :(

Glad it gave you amusement but can't understand why. The passport is used in place of TWO papers when boarding for the first time when you have to have so many papers out if you travel as a family as well as credit card and boarding pass..If you have 4 or 5 family members it is certainly a lot less cumbersome.

This is very smart insurance and carry them when you get off the boat in a foreign land! That and credit cards! You never know what may happen and you could get left on the dock watching the ship sail off into the distance. Then it's "Welcome to Mexico!" I have seen folks standing on the dock in bikinis and towels.

I definitely look at it as a 10 year (5 year for the DSs) insurance policy. Yes it cost alot for four of them but worth every penny. I know they aren't required and sailed three times previously without them with no problems, we just felt it was time to get them.

We are already talking about taking the boys to Canada next year. And DH and I want to go to one of those all inclusive places in the Caribbean. (We've been married almost 19 years and have never had a "just us" vacation.) And I'm one step closer to being able to meet DH in one of the awesome countries he will visit on his next deployment.

So even though I don't NEED it now I hope to get a lot of use out if it in the next ten years. :D

Archived