So, how much weight do you usually gain on your cruise??

purrfect007

I usually gain between 3-5 lbs but lose it again within a week of returning home. I do think a lot depends on how you noramlly eat at home, not just what you're eating on the ship. We eat a healthy, balanced diet at home; food on a ship is filled with hiddens fats and salt.

I'm careful about my eating on a cruise ship (rarely overeat or eat dessert, rarely choose high calorie/high fat items), we do a lot of walking, but still gain (and yes, it's gross but a fair bit is...ahem...waste and water). I think eating meals later than we normally would accounts for some of it too. Once we're back to our normal eating our cruise weight drops off quickly.

Perhaps if you eat a higher fat/higher sodium diet at home the impact of crusie ship food is less because you're getting exercise you wouldn't normally get?

I went to the Masters and then on the Epic in April, ate whatever I wanted (no limits), and was shocked to discover I actually weighed the same weight when I got home.

No idea how that happened! Must have been all the walking, I guess. I would have expected all the water weight from excess glycogen to make me weigh a lot more.

:eek: I must say I am truly shocked at the reports! On my only two cruises, I sure never saw too many people, other than kids, on those stairs...which I do normally on land or sea.

I am going to HONESTLY report my weight from this next cruise. I exercise so much regularly that unless I want to skip vacation stuff (pool, reading, relaxing!) i can walk all over that ship and never meet my usual. I guess that's part of why I gain, and the fact that I never eat big meals more than twice a week at home. Weekends, during the week it is pretty meager.

Guess I answered my own question, lol!! I'm going to relax, enjoy what is appealing, and go with the flow.

For the "gross" part some of us talked honestly about, bring along some magnesium :) works like a charm, naturally. Just sharing...:D

On our last cruise in January I gained big time...about 10 lbs mainly from those lucious tropical drinks like Piña Coladas. In anticipation of our July cruise I lost 14 lbs. I don't deny myself of the things I like to eat or drink because it just makes it seem more of a vacation if that makes sense. At home I don't drink but for the occasional glass of wine but love those yummy umbrella drinks on a cruise. At home I don't eat bacon, as much as I love it, but on a cruise I have bacon every day. If I gain a couple of pounds on a cruise I will deal with it when I get back to reality. Just 10 days til Piña Colada time :-)

SailBabySail...what is your impression of the Gem vs. other NCL jewel class ships? You've sailed several times it looks like so I guess you are a good person to ask.

and, I agree...enjoying unusual foods and drinks on a vacation is part of the celebration! I lost a few pounds prior to this upcoming sail, and I know it will help.

my husband however...he gains over a pound a day. He has little disicpline when it comes to so much temptation!!!

SailBabySail...what is your impression of the Gem vs. other NCL jewel class ships? You've sailed several times it looks like so I guess you are a good person to ask.

and, I agree...enjoying unusual foods and drinks on a vacation is part of the celebration! I lost a few pounds prior to this upcoming sail, and I know it will help.

my husband however...he gains over a pound a day. He has little disicpline when it comes to so much temptation!!!

I am not really good at the "class" of ships and think the Gem is the only jewel class ship we have been on so I can only comment on her (loved the Spirit too). It's a great ship. Very clean. Good entertainment at least when we were on her. Very attentive crew. I know it is subjective but I found the food to be very good. We especially liked La Cucina and loved the poolside BBQs. We were on the Gem twice and had a fabulous time both times. Have a wonderful time on your upcoming cruise and be sure to come back and tell us all about it.

I normally don't gain much (perhaps two lbs. for two week cruise) if any. We try to walk the stairs instead of using the elevator (on use the elevator for going more than three floors up). Also, we use the fitness center on all sea days.

Many times our excursions or shore trips involve a lot of walking, which is good.

Also, I try to eat only one dessert a day and salads for lunch.

When we sail the Trans Atlantic, They pretty much have the same food everyday except for dinner. We'll try a little of each everyday. We might gain a pound or 2 for a 2 week cruise. We exercise about 2-3 hours a day and wer'e not drinkers.

Just got back from the gem to Bahamas. Always used the stairs, never the elevator. Still put on 7 lbs. The dining rooms have decent portion control. The buffet is asking for trouble. We asked for a lot of trouble.

I've always been too afraid to look!:eek:

The most we have gained was three pounds and that was probably because of the high sodium content in the foods.

We eat like we are at home; desserts in moderation, salads, pasta, hamburgers & french fries, etc.

I have always lost weight on a cruise due to being much more active - until the last one. I gained 4 pounds in two days!! In the months prior I had been keeping under a calorie goal and working out so my body was used to much less calories. This year I am going to start increasing my calories about a month before we go. :D

I'm with you, our experience is the same. We always really watch and try and drop a few pounds before so the weight gain isn't so bad. It's all part of the cruising experience! Got to love it!

I surely gain between 5 and 7 pounds, but most all of it will come off the first week back to normal and I am typically left with 3 pounds of real "fat". Truthfully, even that is alot!

Truly, people LOSE weight, on a cruise??? That is so hard to uh--swallow! Really? It must be that you (lucky ones) are just middle of the roaders to begin with, or food just isn't your thing.

I have to exercise regularly at home while eating carefully to keep my weight comfortable. I can't spend so much time exercising on vacation...I'll walk, take the stairs, take a spin class maybe...but the luxury of relaxing and choice dining is a part of the diversion.

Did go vegan...the healthy version of vegan...last winter. like the way it makes my body work.

NCL was VERY accommodating to my requests. Perhaps I will gain less this way altho it is very easy to be a high calorie and unhealthy style vegan!! Plus, I'm not married to it...I have been known to tread off track for a lobster. That is so not vegan...but why be so strict? what you do 90% of the time is what counts.

I'm going to try and be reasonable. And not deny. And indulge with gratitude. :)

I think I actually maintained my weight. I love all the salad bar items that I am too lazy to fix at home. I eat more salad on a cruise than at home. I'm afraid to look at the scale but my pants still zipped. :)

Jim

Sent by a guy who has no idea what Tapatalk is

Jim, you made me laugh! :D:D

FYI it's an app for smart phones that is easier to use than the regular CC forums from a phone, or any other forum in which you participate.

I am not really good at the "class" of ships and think the Gem is the only jewel class ship we have been on so I can only comment on her (loved the Spirit too). It's a great ship. Very clean. Good entertainment at least when we were on her. Very attentive crew. I know it is subjective but I found the food to be very good. We especially liked La Cucina and loved the poolside BBQs. We were on the Gem twice and had a fabulous time both times. Have a wonderful time on your upcoming cruise and be sure to come back and tell us all about it.

Thanks!! Yes, I will absolutely write a review and I"m very excited to leave

and remembering to pack the good time to bring along with us!!

Archived