So, how much weight do you usually gain on your cruise??

purrfect007

I always keep up with it otherwise you get to the point of no return. Last month I gained 5lbs from the time I left home until I got back. I was pretty happy about that! That included a day and night in New Orleans(Cafe Du Monde, Acme Oyster, Hurricanes at Pat O-Briens, etc) and a 7 day cruise. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, pizza, deli sandwiches, and adult beverages when necessary! But now we walked all over Key West, Nassau, RARELY took elevators, and we were ALL the way aft! That certainly helps!

Acme oyster :)

I was on the Jewel last year and lost a pound. I don't think the food is very good. Breakfast is fine. Lunch is okay. Dinner in the main dining room is not very good. I ate at four specialty restaurants and they were better. Meanwhile. I'll be back on the Gem after Thankgiving. I don't cruise to eat otherwise I probably would not choose NCL.

My dad says float and bloat.

On my 2 trips I lost 2lbs on one and was even on the 2nd and I ate a lot of just about anything and drank a lot also. Even wings almost each night.

My tip walk do not take elevators. Each morning I walk about 20-30 min.

We are active on the shore days miles of walking, diving and so on.

Was only watchful of the sweets one per meal not a plate full. Still snacked all day and partied the night away. I am a husky guy who puts lbs on easy.

I do not drink reg soda so that helps, those sweet drinks pile on you.

On my Epic cruises I lost weight each time which was hard to believe since I ate much more and drank more alcohol than I normally do at home. However, I stayed with my daily work out routines and by the way let me tell you that if you skip the elevators and go from Deck 6 to Deck 15 several times a day you will know you had a workout.

AMEN! DH and I were on deck 14 and we took the elevators maybe twice in a week. It's a workout for sure.

I do very well on a cruise, I usually stress eat and that doesn't happen on vacation. I usually lose whether on a cruise or regular vacation. Its when I get home that I gain. :(

Me too!!! I'd be skinny if I was always on Vacay

I gained about 3 lbs on my last one, then lost 2 within a couple weeks. So as long as I don't go on a cruise more than twice a year, I won't gain more than two pounds a year. Is that so bad?

Jim

Sent by a guy who has no idea what Tapatalk is

I surely gain between 5 and 7 pounds, but most all of it will come off the first week back to normal and I am typically left with 3 pounds of real "fat". Truthfully, even that is alot!

Truly, people LOSE weight, on a cruise??? That is so hard to uh--swallow! Really? It must be that you (lucky ones) are just middle of the roaders to begin with, or food just isn't your thing.

I have to exercise regularly at home while eating carefully to keep my weight comfortable. I can't spend so much time exercising on vacation...I'll walk, take the stairs, take a spin class maybe...but the luxury of relaxing and choice dining is a part of the diversion.

Did go vegan...the healthy version of vegan...last winter. like the way it makes my body work.

NCL was VERY accommodating to my requests. Perhaps I will gain less this way altho it is very easy to be a high calorie and unhealthy style vegan!! Plus, I'm not married to it...I have been known to tread off track for a lobster. That is so not vegan...but why be so strict? what you do 90% of the time is what counts.

I'm going to try and be reasonable. And not deny. And indulge with gratitude. :)

I gained three pounds on our most recent trip, the first time I've ever gained weight on a cruise.

This was a trip with friends rather than with our kids and somehow it worked out that it would be good to start the day with a drink, and then continue drinking through out the day.

It could have been worse, I guess...

Curious...I always go on vacation with grand ideas of being reasonable, and often do okay but the cruise, oh my, it makes it so much harder to keep indulgences reasonable!

So the truth...what do you usually gain when you go on a cruise?;)

I haven't gained on a cruise and have sometimes lost because we stay pretty active the whole time. Lots of walking, hitting rock climbing walls, dancing.. I love the food on the ship, don't get me wrong, but I try to stay active during the trip and don't encounter weight gain.

I usually gain about 5 lbs, but if I don't weigh myself until I've been home a couple days then it is more like 1 to 2 lbs over a 7 day cruise.

I'd attribute that to salt, we loved Moderno and ate there twice on this last Jewel to Alaska cruise, but a good number of the grilled meats and salads were saltier than we'd normally consume...the filet, cap steaks and hearts of palm in particular.

Don't see the need to request a low sodium diet, though. Drank mostly ship's (reclaimed, desalinated) water, ate lots of fruits and veggies, salads and seafood. DH Richard was nice enough to bring me an egg white omelet with melon and breakfast meat and chocolate croissants from the Buffets when we didin't make it to Blue Lagoon for breakfasts...lots of good food, so many choices and snacks available 24/7 :p

As an RN, I know that 1 to 2 pounds in 7 days, (not counting the couple days pre-cruise in Seattle), equals 500 to 1,000 calories beyond what we'd normally consume at home, where I can better control the fat and use 'lite' seasoning and less sauces and condiments.

Using a wheelchair, scooter or tripod cane, and ship's elevators for the most part, I will take the 1 to 2 pounds -net gain- in my stride, not having stressed overly while enjoying 1 to 2 excursions in each Alaskan port and the overall rush of being on vacay and a lovely NCL cruise one at that! :D

Once again, I'm very impressed by the sheer volume of people that actually lose weight on their cruise.

Kudos to those of you that are telling the truth, and shame on the ones that are telling little white lies :)

My first couple cruises I gained 6 or 7 pounds. Now I stay the same weight or lose a few pounds.

My first cruises I ate all the time while on the ship. I ate everything. I wanted to eat $1000 worth of food for a $900 cruise!

Now I just eat a lot of bite size foods, I eat dinner, lunch and breakfast too. I just don't have the need to always be gorging myself.

All the walking and going up stairs helps. I try not to use the elevators too often.

3-5 pounds. I don't eat carbs at home, but eat them while on vacation. I was good in the morning, usually don't eat lunch and then eat whatever I want at night. I don't think the desserts on NCL are worth the calories and sugar.

I used to brag that I only gained 2 pounds on all of our cruises. But now these last 2 cruises have been a much different story. I gained 9 pounds each time, but then lost 7 of it right away so it must be water weight.

No matter, don't worry about it. Eat and enjoy! :D

On HAL and Carnival food was good

so I gained 4 lbs food -- 6 lbs water

the 6 goes away sooner than the 4!

Way more active than at home!

I guess we will see what NCL brings!

Although I don't want a bunch of picts of me pigging out on my 50th birthday cruise! -- maybe liquid choc martini diet while on board!

Honestly, I either stay the same or lose a bit. Yes I do eat a lot on cruises, but-

*I am much more active on a cruise, walking around the ship and ports

*I eat more fruit and salads, since they are so readily available (for example, I love pineapple but hate to prepare it at home)

*I drink a lot less soda on a cruise...maybe one a day, if that...the rest of the time I drink water with lemon, or hot tea (and I don't drink alcohol)

On each of our cruises DW has either stayed the same or lost a pound or two, I have lost between 3 and 5 lbs each trip.

I attribute it to being much more active all day, eating a large breakfast, small lunch, afternoon snack and then normal dinner AND staying up and active after dinner. Overall we eat more food, but it is more spread out through the day and also we are more active then when at home.

Archived