So, how much weight do you usually gain on your cruise??

purrfect007

Curious...I always go on vacation with grand ideas of being reasonable, and often do okay but the cruise, oh my, it makes it so much harder to keep indulgences reasonable!

So the truth...what do you usually gain when you go on a cruise?;)

I always keep up with it otherwise you get to the point of no return. Last month I gained 5lbs from the time I left home until I got back. I was pretty happy about that! That included a day and night in New Orleans(Cafe Du Monde, Acme Oyster, Hurricanes at Pat O-Briens, etc) and a 7 day cruise. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, pizza, deli sandwiches, and adult beverages when necessary! But now we walked all over Key West, Nassau, RARELY took elevators, and we were ALL the way aft! That certainly helps!

I usually lose between 5 and 10 pounds because we book the stern and you get lots of exercise just walking from one end of the ship to the other all the time but this last one I gained 3 pounds. We booked a family suite on Deck 12 and passing thru the Market Cafe everytime you are coming from the stern means passing and eating the pretzel bread and soft ice cream way too many times.:o

I lose weight on nearly all of my vacations. Usually between 1 and 7 pounds. As long as I take the steps and walk a couple of miles a day I can eat whatever strikes me as tasty. However when I don't...:o

I've definitely never gained but I don't know that I ever lost much. I usually pick either breakfast or lunch to eat (not both), don't go overboard on the bread before dinner, never eat my full plate at dinner and never eat a full dessert :) And I always use the stairs!

I walk 45 minutes a day onboard at a fast pace, we stay AFT, use elevators very seldom, try to eat reasonable, avoid desserts, and still gain at least 4 pounds a cruise, must be doing something wrong! Well I usually do not eat a bountiful breakast and lunch at home, think this throws the weight on, but sure do enjoy the indulgence, then it is back to MORE exercise when I get home, easy on hard off those pounds!

I always gain on the cruises, 5-10lbs but this time it is going to be different.. I have been on a new life style since feb. and I have lost (work my ???? off) 33 lbs sure don't want to gain any!!!! so here I come lots and lots of walking.........and little sweeets.....(I hope):rolleyes:

Last fall, Pebbles and I went on a Dr. controlled weight loss program. Between us, we lost 105 pounds (70/35). Even though we watched what we ate, did a lot of walking, I worked out at least once, sometimes twice a day in the spa, I still gained 10-lbs over a 12-day cruise. Water (as in OJ, tea and coffee) comes from processed sea water (high in sodium), drinking a ton of soda and having 1-dessert a meal were probably the culprits.

But we only cruise once a year, and its time to relax and enjoy, not worry about weight gain. When we got back, after three days of continual working out, I lost 7 of the ten I gained.

Enjoy. Stop and smell the roses.. Don't worry, be happy!!

So the majority of posters in this thread up until now actually lose weight. LOL

I'm sure the "what" regarding what's being eaten and how much has a lot to do with it.

I've definitely never gained but I don't know that I ever lost much. I usually pick either breakfast or lunch to eat (not both), don't go overboard on the bread before dinner, never eat my full plate at dinner and never eat a full dessert :) And I always use the stairs!

Same here. My normal eating pattern stays the same, I don't eat breakfast I've no appetite for it, lunch is light to normal, dinner is normal. My favorite foods are vegetables. I don't drink soda, (was taught not to as a child), I like dessert but one is enough, I don't drink alcohol all day long (2 drinks a day is good enough for me) and bread isn't something I make a meal out of.

I'm also a Pescetarian so except for those times in life when I've "carbed out" eating normally and exercise keeps me stable additional exercise makes me lose. On the cruise I try to pick excursions where I'll be walking at least a few miles and I hit the gym regularly.

The only time I gained weight on a cruise was 2 years ago. I was in my "carb" mode and I had bread and alcohol, bread and alcohol, bread and alcohol. I came back 3 pounds heavier. No exercise in the world was going to help eating & drinking like that. I was also in my "I don't really care about my weight" stage so that didn't help. LOL

Not to be gross, but some of the excessive weight gain that some people have could be bloat and uh...waste. :cool:

Mine is about 3 pounds but we do spend another 2 weeks at disney following the end of our cruise, but I eat what I want when we are on holiday, my motto is we only live once and holidays are meant for relaxing and enjoying our selfs, food is one of the best parts of the cruise and you can always cut back when you come home. I always do a lot of walking on the cruise. I have a mother in law who is 90yrs old and eats nothing low fat, takes 2 sugars in her tea, eats cakes and biscuits everyday, not to much meat but takes tons of salt on top of her meal and she has NEVER been to a gym. But my neighbour was a vegan and a fitness addict and has just died of stomach cancer at the age of 63yrs old. Blows the whole eat healthy and exercise and live longer theory out the window.

On my Epic cruises I lost weight each time which was hard to believe since I ate much more and drank more alcohol than I normally do at home. However, I stayed with my daily work out routines and by the way let me tell you that if you skip the elevators and go from Deck 6 to Deck 15 several times a day you will know you had a workout.

I lose! I am a dedicated couch potato..so even though I eat more on a cruise.. I am way more active than usual with the walking, snorkling, dancing, etc. I also avoid elevators because they take too long.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

It depends on the itinerary.

When it is port intensive, I usually lose a few pounds.

Ones with more sea days than ports, I gain about a pound or so which I lose once I go back home to my low salt diet.

We always walk the stairs which helps. At the buffet, we try to sit where the food is out of sight.

I try to keep up my running routine with a 5k run every other day if not more often. DW and I try to walk the promenade a few laps each day.

Curious...I always go on vacation with grand ideas of being reasonable, and often do okay but the cruise, oh my, it makes it so much harder to keep indulgences reasonable!

So the truth...what do you usually gain when you go on a cruise?;)

I usually lose a couple pounds. I don't eat any more than normal (I am a type 2 diabetic so I need to keep the carbs in line) and I do a lot more walking and stairs (I rarely take the elevator).

Archived