best single supplement price?

jetsfan

My mom wants desperately to go on a Panama Canal cruise, but my dad just won't travel anymore. I would love to go with her. I just think after 11 days it could be too much of a good thing sharing the same room:)

We both have the means to pay a higher than average cruise fare. Which cruise line should I look into? This will allready be a different cruise then I take with my DH and with the family, so any of your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

You probably want to post this on the Ask A Cruise Question board to get input from people who have sailed various lines.

There is also a separate board just for solo cruisers. That's probably the place to ask.

Carnival no longer gives a break to solo cruisers. Naturally, just when I became a solo cruiser (DD is now an adult and soon to be married), they did away with their previously-generous 150% rate.

Of course, that was for the lowest level cabin, many with just an upper and lower berth.

Some other lines seem to offer pretty generous discounts, but often those are last minute things, and I can't operate that way. I have work deadlines and can only travel at certain times of the year and normally have to request time off several months in advance.

Check Celebrity and HAL.

There are also cruise websites (that we can't mention) that will show solo discounts for various lines.

The Tuesday specials on Celebrity and Royal often have lower single supplements for all categories but they are after final payment deals. Then usually Royal when they first release dates have lower solo supplements for insides.

Carnival is always 200% solo even with the Pack & Go rates.

My cruise on the Vision of the Seas next month is only 125%.

I'm taking my first solo cruise next year and found a good deal on NCL, but that was for a studio cabin which they have only on the Epic and will have on the Breakaway. I understand that in addition to RCL and X, that Princess sometimes has 150% supplements.

Definitely go over to the solo board--this topic comes up often over there. :D

You're better off concentrating on the final price rather than the single supplement percentage being offered. A lower supplement doesn't mean as much when the base price is higher. Pick a few cruises and price them all out to see which one is the best deal.

When I was comparing prices for a Canada/New England cruise, I couldn't beat the price for an inside cabin with porthole windows on Carnival because even with a lower single supplement, in order to get any kind of window on any other line, I had to price outside cabins. Sometimes, an outside guarantee will come close, but not always.

I have also found that even though Carnival prices solo rates at 200%, other cruise lines total solo rates usually come out higher due to the higher initial base amount. You need to do your price research to determine this.

I appreciate the continued advice.

I am cruising with my mom, just thought seperate cabins would be better for our personalities.

I see Carnival has a sailing in March out of NY. We are 50 minutes away, that could be a great option, as it would save in airfare. So the money I spent on a single might not hurt as much.

I should say this is my mom's dream cruise, not mine, YET! My dad will not travel anymore and that makes me sad, and a bit mad. He is in great health, just doesn't want to do it. As I am the only daughter, and my brother's don't have the means to do it, I want to make it happen for her. She is not much of a joiner so a travel club is out for her.

I think she just wants to do the transit. I am not that familiar with the cruise as my bucket list is Alaska in 45 days on the Spirit, and the Med next year on the Legend.

Celebrity has a transit on Infinity in April that is $75 less expensive than the Carnival Miracle in March (inside cabin). Yes, she would be leaving from FLL, and that means airfare...But you would have to pay air back from CA, and this would probably not be any more expensive than a one way ticket from CA. You have to realize that Carnival only transits the canal when they are repositioning a ship, certainly not yearly. thus Carnival devotees have few opportunities for a transit, and prices remain high. EM

My mom wants desperately to go on a Panama Canal cruise, but my dad just won't travel anymore. I would love to go with her. I just think after 11 days it could be too much of a good thing sharing the same room:)

We both have the means to pay a higher than average cruise fare. Which cruise line should I look into? This will allready be a different cruise then I take with my DH and with the family, so any of your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I have cruised solo on Celebrity, Princess, HAL and Royal Caribbean and have found that I pretty consistently pay 190 - 200% for a balcony solo. I have heard that on some lines if you are willing to take an inside you might be able to get a fare a little less than that. It is usually pretty costly to cruise solo. I have lived along the past twelve years or so, and LOVE it, so I know I could NOT share a small cruiseship cabin with another person for a week, let alone 11 days.

I have also found that even though Carnival prices solo rates at 200%, other cruise lines total solo rates usually come out higher due to the higher initial base amount. You need to do your price research to determine this.

I cruise carnival mostly but I keep hearing some lines don't charge the 200%. I look and I come out better on carnival.If I was to get a better deal I would take it. Now the other lines may be a higher end.

I appreciate the continued advice.

I am cruising with my mom, just thought seperate cabins would be better for our personalities.

I see Carnival has a sailing in March out of NY. We are 50 minutes away, that could be a great option, as it would save in airfare. So the money I spent on a single might not hurt as much.

I should say this is my mom's dream cruise, not mine, YET! My dad will not travel anymore and that makes me sad, and a bit mad. He is in great health, just doesn't want to do it. As I am the only daughter, and my brother's don't have the means to do it, I want to make it happen for her. She is not much of a joiner so a travel club is out for her.

I think she just wants to do the transit. I am not that familiar with the cruise as my bucket list is Alaska in 45 days on the Spirit, and the Med next year on the Legend.

When my father was alive he didn't want to travel anywhere either. After he passed, I was my Mom's travel-mate for a lot of her trips. One of the cruises we took was through the Panama Canal (10 days, Aruba to Acapulco). I lost her last year and that trip is one I will always remember. Have a wonderful time.

When I booked my solo cruise I just doubled the price of each trip I was interested in (since stateroom prices are mostly based on double occupancy) and went from there. I think I got a decent deal; I am traveling out of Miami, on the Destiny, for 4 nights, with a balcony room for only $1025 (with tax). I am using my Carnival MasterCard points to get $300 back on my credit card. I could have booked an ocean room for about $800, but really wanted a balcony to escape to for my first solo cruise.

I researched other cruise lines as well, and for the itinerary, date, balcony room etc., Carnival happened to be the best deal at that time. I would say I did about a week's worth of research before booking as well.

Good luck!!

Caro

The Tuesday specials on Celebrity and Royal often have lower single supplements for all categories but they are after final payment deals. Then usually Royal when they first release dates have lower solo supplements for insides.

Carnival is always 200% solo even with the Pack & Go rates.

My cruise on the Vision of the Seas next month is only 125%.

This is GREAT INFORMATION, Mary . . . thank you very much.:)

I've cruised Carnival SOLO for years, always locked onto Carnival because of their 150% Single Supplement, but now with other lines that were previously higher in pricing, I can see making some changes likely.:D

Archived