Massive Mobile Phone Bill Whilst @ Sea

The followig is what I did on my phone to prevent data from automatically downloading. My carrier is Verizon.

I have a Droid 3 (3G global edition) phone with Verizon. I took it with me on my Adventure cruise in Feb/Mar and didn't have any "surprise" charges. My dad was in the hospital so I needed to make sure that I could be reached "just in case."

I bought a global data package for the time that I would be away so I could download my email as needed without incurring roaming fees in case I couldn't get wifi. On Verizon, the global data package includes data downloaded on the ship.

I did not put my phone in airplane mode on the ship or in port because it will not accept calls or texts when it is in airplane mode. I wanted to be able to receive phone calls if I was needed. I turned off my data instead when I didn't want to use it.

To turn off data on a Droid 3 (also works for RAZR), go to SETTINGS, then DATA MANAGER, then DATA DELIVERY. On the DATA DELIVERY screen, make sure the check boxes next to DATA ROAMING and DATA ENABLED are greyed out (unchecked). This will prevent the phone from automatically downloading data. It can still be used for phone calls and text messaging.

If I wanted to check my email or other data application via my phone when wifi wasn't available, I turned on the DATA ROAMING and DATA ENABLED, went to my email application and refreshed my inbox so it would download my new emails then turned off the data again. I only used about 5MB of data during the week that I was away.

When I returned, I called Verizon and had the global data plan removed. They pro-rated it for the 10 days that I was gone so I was only charged around $12 for time that I had it active.

My normal text plan did not cover texting in the Caribbean, other than San Juan. It was $0.05 for each text received and $0.50 for each text sent.

I work for AT&T and the OP's issue is more common than many would think. Here is a PSA for anyone who has AT&T service: international data roaming plans are not covered on a cruise ship. "Cruise ship roaming" is $2.49/minute for voice calls and $19.98/MB for data.

Be sure to turn off automatic updating, international roaming, and cell data and turn on airplane mode to avoid large heart-attack inducing bills when you get home! :eek:

If you do happen to incur these charges, give your provider a call when you get home. The representative will most likely credit your account back some (or all if it's not an insane amount) of the charges.

They might credit some of it back the first time only as a good will gesture but people shouldn't count on it. And hopefully no one will get any ideas about a repeat performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (now used more often because of the bad ad placement on the full CC website)

And stops you from receiving any communications from family. You don't need to turn off your phone, or put it into airplane mode. Why have a phone if you are going to do that, it's like a brick!

Not at all. While it stops (expensive) phone calls it does not stop email. I put my smartphone in Airplane Mode and then turn WiFi back on. I either buy minutes from the ship or use free or low-cost WiFi in port.

And it's hardly a brick when in Airplane Mode. All the apps that don't need connectivity still work. I absolutely love listening to audiobooks while relaxing on the ship.

I was told by AT&T to turn off mail push in addition to putting on airplane mode

I don't see why that would be necessary. It won't hurt, but isn't necessary. Airplane Mode turns off all five radios and the smartphone can't send or receive any data. Hence no charges.

I don't see why that would be necessary. It won't hurt, but isn't necessary. Airplane Mode turns off all five radios and the smartphone can't send or receive any data. Hence no charges.

I suspect for the scenario in #61, where someone takes it out of airplane briefly to do one thing, without realising the mail is going to come streaming down. Otherwise, as you rightly say, if it stays in airplane, it makes no sense.

Not at all. While it stops (expensive) phone calls it does not stop email. I put my smartphone in Airplane Mode and then turn WiFi back on. I either buy minutes from the ship or use free or low-cost WiFi in port.

And it's hardly a brick when in Airplane Mode. All the apps that don't need connectivity still work. I absolutely love listening to audiobooks while relaxing on the ship.

Fair enough. But we usually communicate through text messages which are cheap but do require 'active' phones, rather then emails, which dont, but do require a wifi plan, which can be more expensive. I agree about the audio books but instead I load up my kindle with audio books (not be be confused with the text to speak function) simply because battery life is way better.

I'm on vacation. I leave my phone at home and I'm still waiting for the sky to fall in. If people need (and "need" is very subjective here) they can either email me or they can figure it out for themselves. Might do them good.

I'm on vacation. I leave my phone at home and I'm still waiting for the sky to fall in. If people need (and "need" is very subjective here) they can either email me or they can figure it out for themselves. Might do them good.

I think you are lucky to do that. Unfortunately my 85 year old parents don't 'do' email. And if they needed to contact me on vacation then it would be important enough for them to do so.

Unfortunately I have the experience of one of my friends receiving the phone call while in the USA to say their young adult son had contracted meningococcal and was on life support. They flew home immediately but sadly he died about five hours after they returned home. I am always contactable.

O.K......why would they do this? Since you work there, you would know. I am having a hard time trying to figure why they "owe" you anything. If you called people from the ship....checked your stocks....whatever, why credit people some or all of their money? Obviously that's a good PR move on their part, but why ???? This seems pretty incredible to me !

It's not about being "owed" anything, just customer service. Yes, the credit will be a one-time courtesy, but everyone makes mistakes. Obviously, I can only speak for the center I work in, and there is no absolute guarantee that the representative you speak with will adjust the charges, but it's not that far-fetched. :)

My first trip to Europe with a cell phone ended up with a $650 bill for five days of travel. I used the local area network which in my case was Orange. I was in the UK and Paris for one day.

I am sorry you have a large bill, but RCCL has nothing to do with your choice to keep your phone on, and impo I don't see how your bei g diamond comes into play at all.

I think you are lucky to do that. Unfortunately my 85 year old parents don't 'do' email. And if they needed to contact me on vacation then it would be important enough for them to do so.

Unfortunately I have the experience of one of my friends receiving the phone call while in the USA to say their young adult son had contracted meningococcal and was on life support. They flew home immediately but sadly he died about five hours after they returned home. I am always contactable.

I am also on call for my mother, so i understand what you are saying. But that does come at a cost, to you.

I agree about the audio books but instead I load up my kindle with audio books (not be be confused with the text to speak function) simply because battery life is way better.

Interesting.

Those of us that are audio book fanatics are probably in the minority, but they're a great thing. I have a long commute to my job and audio books make the trip tolerable. Audio books on a ship are even better, one can find a nice lounger, lay back and listen -- and people-watch at the same time.

O.K......why would they do this? Since you work there, you would know. I am having a hard time trying to figure why they "owe" you anything. If you called people from the ship....checked your stocks....whatever, why credit people some or all of their money? Obviously that's a good PR move on their part, but why ???? This seems pretty incredible to me !

It's not about being "owed" anything, just customer service. Yes, the credit will be a one-time courtesy, but everyone makes mistakes. Obviously, I can only speak for the center I work in, and there is no absolute guarantee that the representative you speak with will adjust the charges, but it's not that far-fetched. :)

I agree with beckeck. There was one time when I ended up with a charge on my bill and when I called my provider they were very polite and quick to make the adjustment. First they mentioned how long I had been with them and my payment record. My cell provider knows how to make a long time customer feel appreciated. Plenty of other companies could take some lessons from them.

OP: Sorry to read that your Cellular Bill was high, but as it was stated by another poster, you're a frequent cruiser, and it should have been somewhat of a "no brainer" that the connectivity is very high....

Nonetheless....

A tip and it may have already been posted but I wasn't going to read post after post of people telling you "Duh!": Contact your service provider next time prior to embarkation. Many of these companies (even European) have agreements with carriers here for "unlimited internet" - for my Verizon Smartphone, it's only an additional $25 for unlimited "Cellular at Sea" internet and so many cents/minute additional for International Calls. I do this for EVERY cruise as I am constantly being contacted for work issues. Obviously, your phone is an International Phone and can handle this.

Good Luck and your lesson may help newbies that read this board in the future!

Lady_G

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this link, and for all the info in this thread. I've studied it all and understand what I need to do while at sea, but just a question I'm not clear on. I'm going to Western Europe (Spain/Italy/France) on NCL Epic in August.

I'm with o2 for my phone network, and from this month they have special deals for roaming anywhere in Europe. Calls are 50p connection charge then minutes come off monthly allowance. Data of 25mb per day only costs £1.99, and they text you when you have reached 80% and 100% of your allowance. I understand that this won't apply when the ship is at sea, so I will follow all your great advice so I won't get extra charges - but what about when the ship is docked in port? I don't plan to go ashore at every destination, but if I switched on my phone on the ship at these times, would I be using the port's phone network, or the NCL satellite connection?

Hope my question is clear - thank you all again for taking the trouble to help, I don't know where I would be without Cruise Critic members!

Thanks so much for this link, and for all the info in this thread. I've studied it all and understand what I need to do while at sea, but just a question I'm not clear on. I'm going to Western Europe (Spain/Italy/France) on NCL Epic in August.

I'm with o2 for my phone network, and from this month they have special deals for roaming anywhere in Europe. Calls are 50p connection charge then minutes come off monthly allowance. Data of 25mb per day only costs £1.99, and they text you when you have reached 80% and 100% of your allowance. I understand that this won't apply when the ship is at sea, so I will follow all your great advice so I won't get extra charges - but what about when the ship is docked in port? I don't plan to go ashore at every destination, but if I switched on my phone on the ship at these times, would I be using the port's phone network, or the NCL satellite connection?

Hope my question is clear - thank you all again for taking the trouble to help, I don't know where I would be without Cruise Critic members!

The ships phone will be turned off in port.

DH and I have an agreement. On any given time at home my Iphone is attached to me. He is not a techie in the least...he doesn't care if his phone even takes photos:eek: (it does but only because I picked it out not him) so when we go on a cruise...all of my voicemails direct the caller to the person who is over seeing my business and my Iphone stays on my desk at home. We take DH's "Freddy Flintstone" phone for emergencies and handle communication home with a daily email.

I'm on O2 and have an iPhone. I didn't take my iPhone as I wasn't going to risk the internet/data roaming costs. I took my old O2 Orbit as it has no apps and doesn't connect to the internet unless I send a picture message.

There is a cap of about £44 for the internet abroad but I don't dare use it.

Regarding the original post:

Yes, you should of known, but good to let other people know, just in case.

Before I switched to the iPhone, I had a Blackberry with auto on/auto off. When I got on the ship, I turned the phone off, but it turned it self back on the next morning, and did that for 3 days until the battery died (I didn't know my battery could last that long). This resulted in my being charged for downloads because of my office server pushing email to it.

I did not blame RCL, I did not blame my cellular carrier. Truth be told, I just chalked it up as a lesson and moved on.

With my iphone, I have it set to airplane mode and listen to the music when I am working out. I have never been charged except when I turn it on in port to either make phone calls when necessary.

For those wondering about safety, airplane mode shuts everything down. You can also turn off all the radios, then turn them back on one at a time, but that is overkill. My recommendation is put the phone in airplane mode, and turn off data roaming which if the phone turns on, it avoids charges for internet, email, and other data charges. I believe there is a message that pops up on the screen, but it is just easier to have it set to off. Mine is off as a matter of course all the time to be on the safeside

Before I switched to the iPhone, I had a Blackberry with auto on/auto off. When I got on the ship, I turned the phone off, but it turned it self back on the next morning, and did that for 3 days until the battery died (I didn't know my battery could last that long). This resulted in my being charged for downloads because of my office server pushing email to it.

I did not blame RCL, I did not blame my cellular carrier. Truth be told, I just chalked it up as a lesson and moved on.

With my iphone, I have it set to airplane mode and listen to the music when I am working out. I have never been charged except when I turn it on in port to either make phone calls when necessary.

For those wondering about safety, airplane mode shuts everything down. You can also turn off all the radios, then turn them back on one at a time, but that is overkill. My recommendation is put the phone in airplane mode, and turn off data roaming which if the phone turns on, it avoids charges for internet, email, and other data charges. I believe there is a message that pops up on the screen, but it is just easier to have it set to off. Mine is off as a matter of course all the time to be on the safeside

Excellent response! :)

Nonetheless....

A tip and it may have already been posted but I wasn't going to read post after post of people telling you "Duh!": Contact your service provider next time prior to embarkation. Many of these companies (even European) have agreements with carriers here for "unlimited internet" - for my Verizon Smartphone, it's only an additional $25 for unlimited "Cellular at Sea" internet and so many cents/minute additional for International Calls. I do this for EVERY cruise as I am constantly being contacted for work issues. Obviously, your phone is an International Phone and can handle this.

Good Luck and your lesson may help newbies that read this board in the future!

Lady_G

Some false info on Verizon you quoted

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

Voice Roaming Rate:

$2.49 per minute

Text Messaging Rates:

$0.50/address sent

$0.05/message received

Global Data

Monthly Access

$25

Rate after allowance

$25/100MB

Pay As You Go: $0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)

If you got unlimited please share this info.. :)

Maybe Im not converting it right,but isnt that like $47.25.......to me,that doesnt seem that bad for 16 nights..:confused:

I could be wrong,, but I think he was trying to be funny. The OP had a 450 pound bill and his wife was upset with a 30 pound bill :eek:

Archived