Packing Questions from those experienced ones!

purrfect007

Okay...6 days to go.

I've got 2 huge suitcases stuffed with clothes and shoes, etc. for 4 of us.

Do you suggest a light jacket or sweatshirt or jacket, etc. for night?

I have a roll on bag for the beverages; I can't BELIEVE how heavy it is, with just 2 six packs of soda (it's the healthy stuff, so, I can't buy it on board for my son), a case of Pellegrino (sp?) and three bottles of wine.

We can manage it... but isn't it a problem with the ship? I do think it is over 50 lbs.

THEN...I was thinking of a carry on with the "necessary" items, and thought I'd possibly throw in the bathing suits? Where would you change to use the pools before you can get into your room?

Lastly, we plan to arrive EARLY at the dock and hope to be in the first few groups to board. Does that mean our luggage would also get to our room early? First come basis?

We are in a 2 BR Family Suite (not the haven). I understand there are different boarding methods for suites, but still have no clue what to expect.

THANKS for the help!!!

Okay...6 days to go.

Do you suggest a light jacket or sweatshirt or jacket, etc. for night? Better safe than sorry.

I have a roll on bag for the beverages; I can't BELIEVE how heavy it is, with just 2 six packs of soda (it's the healthy stuff, so, I can't buy it on board for my son), a case of Pellegrino (sp?) and three bottles of wine.

We can manage it... but isn't it a problem with the ship? I do think it is over 50 lbs.

The ship won't mind.

THEN...I was thinking of a carry on with the "necessary" items, and thought I'd possibly throw in the bathing suits? Where would you change to use the pools before you can get into your room?

It might be easier to wear the bathing suit and just bring underwear in your carryon. By the time you are ready to change back, your room will be ready.

Lastly, we plan to arrive EARLY at the dock and hope to be in the first few groups to board. Does that mean our luggage would also get to our room early? First come basis?

It doesn't always work like that.

We are in a 2 BR Family Suite (not the haven). I understand there are different boarding methods for suites, but still have no clue what to expect.

Once past security, you will be taken to a VIP area to await boarding.

THANKS for the help!!!

You've been posting a LOT. There's nothing wrong with that, I just hope you aren't setting yourself up for disappointments if things don't go exactly how you expected/planned. Go with an open mind and the intention of having a good vacation and you will have a blast. Short of forgetting life saving meds, you can make do without anything, don't sweat the small stuff.

Have an awesome time!

If I'm reading this correctly, you've decided to check this heavy bag? Two points: the 50-lb weight limit for each bag is never enforced but you should try your best to be considerate of the baggage handlers. The weight rule is more in place to protect them from injuries from handling overweight bags. Second, if you're checking this bag with all the liquids, chances are the bag will be flagged and you'll be sent to the naughty room to pick it up. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're aware of this possibility and accepting of the consequences.

If I'm reading this correctly, you've decided to check this heavy bag? Two points: the 50-lb weight limit for each bag is never enforced but you should try your best to be considerate of the baggage handlers. The weight rule is more in place to protect them from injuries from handling overweight bags. Second, if you're checking this bag with all the liquids, chances are the bag will be flagged and you'll be sent to the naughty room to pick it up. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're aware of this possibility and accepting of the consequences.

I assumed she was carrying (rolling) that one on herself. She's been diligently doing research for her cruise and knows that all those cans and bottles will get flagged. But if I'm wrong and you're right, it's a good reminder.

Gotta love when CC's are helpful without flaming. :)

It seems you are bringing a ton of stuff, but to each his own.

You can always change in the public toilets so changing isn't a problem. I personally only bring a thin cardigan but usually don't wear it. I don't know where you're cruising to but if its southern it will be HOT and HUMID.

Have a nice time. :)

I assume you aren't flying - otherwise you might have a problem with bags being overweight.

Yes. Sometimes the restaurants are cold, it is better to have them than not.

If you are walking on with it, the only problem will be is if you can't lift it to go throught he x-ray machine.

By the time you eat when you get on the ship, you will likely be able to go to your cabin. If not, change in the public bathrooms.

There is no rhyme or reason on how baggage is delivered. Not first come, first served.

Don't overthink your vacation. Just go and enjoy it. If you arrive too early, you can end up sitting for a few hours before the ship is cleared for embarkation.

It is quite likely that you will be able to get into your rooms before your luggage arrives. So you could change into things that you carry on in your room.

As far as the jacket or sweatshirt question, I'd bring the "dressier" one. I.e., the nicer looking one this way if you are cold in the restaurants at dinner you'll still feel like you dressed fine for dinner. Good thinning on the bathing suits. A bunch of times I've packed them in checked bags and wished I carried them on.

You've been posting a LOT. There's nothing wrong with that, I just hope you aren't setting yourself up for disappointments if things don't go exactly how you expected/planned. Go with an open mind and the intention of having a good vacation and you will have a blast. Short of forgetting life saving meds, you can make do without anything, don't sweat the small stuff.

Have an awesome time!

I appreciate that, and I thank you... I have been posting alot, looking for tips from experienced cruisers that will help to reduce the number of "surprises". We were told that we should not expect "disney" on NCL, that it was rather inferior.

I have NO CLUE how NCL is compared to disney, albeit I am about to find out; my inquiry is to fill in the gaps so that we don't feel jolted one step after another but prepared to engage with whatever is coming our way.

I thought that was the idea with this space, that we exchange helpful ideas, hints, experience. I would think it would be quite normal that one posts more questions close to their embarkation date.

I apologize if I've offended anyone.

To learn more on CC, :rolleyes: it paid to read more & then ask select questions ;)

Carryon-sized 22" suitcases, especially softsides, can easily fit underneath the beds once unpacked instead of taking up space inside the "small" closet with 4 of you in the same cabin (assumed it's a mini-suite/balcony and no higher) + your roll on bag need to be store somewhere, unless it's waterproof type fllled with ice to keep your liquid cold. The in-cabin mini refrigerator is rather small to keep things chilled (it's not ice cold) once it's emptied by the stateroom attendant upon request.

Not sure what's your definition of "huge" suitcases meant, but two 25" ones "should" fit in the closet but if it's hard shell type, it will not go under - unless you plan to "elevate" one of your single bed, LOL. Otherwise, I've seen "huge" suitcases stored inside the tiny stand-up shower once its wet functions are accomplished - seriously & no joke.

Lastly, medications & valuables, important items, etc. should not be checked & kept as carry-on items - simple things like toiletry items might not be available until late afternoon, depending on when they sort out & deliver your luggages to your corridor & placed outside in the hallway next to the cabin - one of the 7,000 to 10,000 pcs. that they handled for embarkation.

Enjoy the cruise.

P.S. Many of the reviews written specific for your ship/sailing itinerary contained very important, useful info that you can benefit from - often with posted photo, so do take advantage of those wisdoms ... :D

Actually, one of the best bits of advice I ever received on CC is: after suitcases are packed take out half and then double the cash you planned to take.

I take several tops rolled in the front pocket. I only take a few pairs of pants/jeans/etc. Then I have them laundered. Its the pants that take up room. Shoes: only take a few pairs. Wear the bulkiest.

You did not offend me. Ask away.

Have a great cruise.

I appreciate that, and I thank you... I have been posting alot, looking for tips from experienced cruisers that will help to reduce the number of "surprises". We were told that we should not expect "disney" on NCL, that it was rather inferior.

I have NO CLUE how NCL is compared to disney, albeit I am about to find out; my inquiry is to fill in the gaps so that we don't feel jolted one step after another but prepared to engage with whatever is coming our way.

I thought that was the idea with this space, that we exchange helpful ideas, hints, experience. I would think it would be quite normal that one posts more questions close to their embarkation date.

I would not apologize to anyone (least of all the few that think they are the "so called" mediators of these boards) there are actual mediators that would let you know if you were asking anything that was inappropriate....I have been on a dozen cruises and still ask tons of questions based on the specific ship, ports, etc etc... I think a poster said it best...after packing your bags take half out and bring double the money. Anything you "think" you "might" wear just in case, will not get worn...your favorite outfits will get worn within the first 3-4 days, so take advantage of the laundry special...it is sooo worth the $25. You get to pack less and you can wear all your favorite outfits twice.

Can't imagine anyone would be offended just because you have questions.

You mentioned getting to the pier early so you would hopefully be in one of the first boarding groups. Suite passengers are the first to board, usually before noon. By the time you finish lunch (in Cagney's) the rooms may be ready. If you want to swim the first day, put the bathing suits in a carry on bag because luggage may not be delivered for a few hours.

If someone told you NCL was "inferior" I have to disagree with them. Inferior to what? I've not experienced a Disney cruise and, unless I got a great deal and were traveling with children, I probably wouldn't consider one. I can do a suite on NCL for the same price as a regular cabin on Disney. That said, I'm sure Disney provides a great cruise experience just as they do with everything else. You might expect "different" but it won't be inferior.

I agree also, with what someone said about jackets/sweatshirts, ect. It will likely be hot and humid where you're going and they take up alot of room. A light sweater or just something with long sleeves is always good to have though, if the air conditioning on the ship gets a bit too cool.

Okay...6 days to go.

THANKS for the help!!!

You definitely need something light for at night because the air conditioning inside is cold and if you are out on deck at night it can be breezy. Some type of light sweater, hoodie or jacket will be fine.

Of course you didn't offend anyone!! If my comments lead you to think that, I am very sorry. I am truly concerned that you have a great vacation. I learned the hard way to leave the expectations behind and go with the flow, I have a much better time when I don't over think everything.

When reading, you don't have facial clues or voice inflections to guide you, I assure you my comments were said with the sincerest of intentions, without judgement or malice. If they came across any differently, again, I apologize.

I hope you enjoy your cruise at least as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Okay...6 days to go.

THANKS for the help!!!

We cut our luggage by 1/2 from last years trip to Bermuda. My wife and I fit everything in two carry on's. I took 3-4 pairs of shorts, and a nice pair of jeans, a few t-shirt and polo shirts some underwear and a few pairs of socks for when I work out. 95% of the day I was in one of three bathing suits I brought.

If you are in a suite you will board 1st, be sure you get into the VIP checkin line. How early is early? We arrived and parked at 10:15 am, went thru check in and we got group #3? we boarded around 11:30 am.

We just got back from the same cruise. The 1st night was a little after that every night was mid 70's. My wife brought a light sweater, the AC can be pretty cool onboard.

I had the same idea about a rolling ice-chest. Only, at the hotel, packing up to leave for the ship, it was decided that the case of soda would go with just a luggage tag, and the rolling ice chest would be packed with several energy drinks (no longer in a case), Hubby's humidor with cigars, Dad's CPAP machine, a couple jackets, all our meds, some electronics, etc. That way, we weren't having to carry around a "Carry-on". We thought this was brilliant! And with my jigsaw skills, I got it all packed in with very little room to spare.

;)

Until...

we got to the security checkpoint. And the rolling ice-chest was obviously too big to fit through the x-ray scanner. (Didn't even think about that) :eek:

So, we felt horrible as all the people behind us in line had to wait for us to completely unload the ice-chest onto the conveyor belt to go through the x-ray, then get it all jigsaw packed back in there. :o

So, if you decide to use the rolling bag, be warned that you might have to unload it onto the x-ray conveyor belt.

So, if you decide to use the rolling bag, be warned that you might have to unload it onto the x-ray conveyor belt.

that's a good to know!! I was going to bring one with my soda, wine and such in it. Won't do that now. Thanks!

.... I understand there are different boarding methods for suites, but still have no clue what to expect.

THANKS for the help!!!

You haven't specified the port or the ship or the itinerary, but in general when you are booked into a suite, you will get "VIP" embarkation.

After you pass through port security, look for the signs indicating Suite or VIP boarding. Depending on the port, you are sometimes sent to a separate room where you complete your boarding paperwork in comfort, or sometimes you are simply sent to a (hopefully shorter) line that is meant only for Suite boarding.

Then you may be taken to a lounge in the port area, where you'll meet your concierge, have an opportunity to ask any questions, get some refreshments if you need them (coffee, sodas, cookies and sometimes sandwiches).

After that you'll be escorted on board, straight to Cagney's or whatever restaurant serves the suite breakfast and lunch on that ship.

We've found that you can almost always go down to your suite and leave your carry-on's in the cabin, even before the cabins are available. If you see your room steward in the area, let him/her know what you're doing. Also a good time to meet that very important person.

IMO, you're WAY over-packing, but to each his own.

Archived