McAfee CC risky?

JMA

I had the same experience a couple of days ago. It wasn't just CC though. I was getting it with other sites I'd visited many times before. It hasn't happened since so I wonder if it was some glitch with McAfee.

There are some posts about it on the Carnival board also. Someone said CC knows about it and is working on it. My McAfee stops it but when I click on the toolbar at the top it says it found nothing bad on the site. I've also run several Malware programs and they have found nothing. Lots of other anti-virus software is doing the same thing so I have to believe its something related to CC.

It's most likely safe to surf, I used aVast! Antivirus on primary desktop PC running Win 7 and IE 9, and it had similar alarms gone off last week when its definition files were updated automatically, and it blocked access to the site, tried Firefox & same results. I then switched to AVG as the computer was dual booting to legacy Windows XP SP3 O.S. and it was running fine. Repeated with the same problem from a backup laptop & verified the same results - something about HTML script files on the site being malware ... when I digged into the logs. Contacted AVG & filed the false alarms or results - and with newer update files 2 days later, everything returned to normal. Meanwhile, ran Microsoft Security Essentials and Norton AV to scan deep and found everything to be safe.

Since your Apple failed to pick up the problem, maybe you want to change over to Windows??? :D;)

Hehe ;)

Net neutrality, perhaps - CC looked fully functional via Android apps and ipad via Safari & Skyfire browser, and, at a minimum - no DOS as hardware-based firewall won't allow anything to get out (or in) ...

The rotating banner ads that appear at the top may pick up a link that is flagged by some AV programs; the site itself is safe. Also, you may draw a "flag" if someone has a link in their signature that is also suspect.

adblock plus for firefox and chrome gets rid of those annoying banner ads

Can anyone tell me why all of a sudden my computer security McAfee is saying that Cruisecritic may be a risky site to visit?

I e-mailed community@cruisecritic.com a few days ago asking that very same question. The reply was that there was a url (that they named ) that had been removed, but McAfee was still flagging them as being risky. They further went on to say that they were working on getting off of the McAfee risky list.

Last week my Avast antivirus wouldn't let me access the CC boards at all for two days. When I was finally able to access the boards there was a note on the HAL board that said there had been a virus link that caused warnings from antivirus programs. CC got rid of that link and notified antivirus programs that the site was now safe.

I'm the one who started this thread and now McAfee is saying it's OK....

My personal thought is that the only thing risky now, is that this site is very addictive!

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's been happening for the last few days so I called McAfee yesterday and had them on the phone for over an hour giving them permission to access my computer from there end. They uninstalled and reinstalled the program but to no avail. so they told me that they would have a special technician call me in the next 24 to 48 hours but still waiting so I'll post info once I hear anything.

I'm the one who started this thread and now McAfee is saying it's OK....

My personal thought is that the only thing risky now, is that this site is very addictive!

Yes, the risky page was there earlier today, but is now gone. As I wrote in an earleir post I was told in an e-mail reply when I asked about McAfee's risky page pronouncement that they were attempting to get off the list but their url was still listed. I guess they now succeeded.

And, yes, addictive is a good description. But I wonder how many of us use these boards when we do not either have an upcoming cruise or are planning one.

Can anyone tell me why all of a sudden my computer security McAfee is saying that Cruisecritic may be a risky site to visit?

Just look at some of the things people post here, and there is no wonder why an Anti-Virus would want to block it!

Archived