Money exchange for short stay in Vancouver

We will be in Vancouver for a very short time (8pm Saturday - 11am Sunday).

Do we need to acquire Canadian money for Subway, or other simple restaurants, and grocery, liquor, and street parking (or Stanley Park parking)? Could we just use credit cards, or US dollars?

If so, where should we make the exchange?

However you will not need a lot of Canadian $$$ as most of hte things/places take credit cards....most of our parking meters and the Skytrain take credit cards, restaurants and stores all take credit cards...however in all my travels I have found that it is very wise to have at least a small amount of money in the currency of hte country you are traveling in.

No need to obtain Canadian currency for that little time in Vancouver. Virtually all retailers, restaurants and service providers, including BC Government Liquor Stores, the Canadian Post Office and taxis accept US funds; about the only service that doesn't accept $US is the transit system and perhaps parking meters. However, remember the US dollar is not the legal tender in Canada, the acceptance of it is offered as a courtesy and you will likely receive your change in Canadian currency. Most US credit cards and ATM cards are accepted by all.

• 1 year later...

You can use your credit card, but call the credit card first or they may block your use (suspected fraud) & you'll also pay an extra charge (usually 3%) for out of the U.S. The U.S. dollar is again worth more so that would probably make up for the extra charge.

Don't wait until you get to the airport in Vancouver the exchange rate is horrible. Suggest a bank before you leave the country.

Question? Did you use an ATM or the money exchange booth?

US$ are widely accepted (even places like Subway or Starbucks), although remember you'll get C$ change, so you probably don't want to use a US$100.

Also don't be surprised, but Canada has $1 and $2 coins, not bills. Also, we don't have a penny in circulation anymore. All cash transactions will be rounded up or down to the nearest 5c. The rest of the coins are used interchangably, you'll see lots of US coin in circulation in Canada no one cares if it's a US or C$ dime/nickel/quarter.

Regards use of credit cards in overseas ATM's.

I used to work in the credit card division of a major Australian bank & you would be surprised how often foreign ATM's will retain cards. If the bank is closed or it's a weekend etc then you are in trouble.

Always have a back up.:)

Regards use of credit cards in overseas ATM's.

I used to work in the credit card division of a major Australian bank & you would be surprised how often foreign ATM's will retain cards. If the bank is closed or it's a weekend etc then you are in trouble.

Always have a back up.:)

I find this very interesting, do you happen to know if this is still the case now that "chip" technology is now widely used in Europe and Canada?

I find this very interesting, do you happen to know if this is still the case now that "chip" technology is now widely used in Europe and Canada?

Hi,

No I'm not in that line of work anymore so not sure how new chip technology has changed this if at all.

But machines are at times prone to break down, malfunction & so on, some of the cards retained were kept for no good reason we could ascertain.

Also, sophisticated gangs have attached card readers to ATM's & even have hand held readers that can scan your card from within your wallet & glean information for the purpose of committing fraud.

I have 2 credit cards, one I never use online for anything or in ATM's, only for across the counter purchases sometimes. It mostly stays in the hotel or ship safe & pays for my cruise account.

I just transfer funds into the other one & use that as needed.

Better safe than sorry.

Archived