What should i do in Venice?

Stevie44875

I will be boarding for a cruise in Oct in Venice on Monday and the ship leaves Venice on Tuesday. So i've got some time to kill and can do some sightseeing. What should i do? Also how do i get around Venice from the port? Thanks for any help you can get me. Walking around and sightseeing is more my thing to do.

There are several ways to explore Venice. There is the "People Mover" at the port and you can use that. It will take you to Piazzale Roma. From there head east and you will see signs on the corners of the buildings directing you to San Marco. If you follow these signs you'll go to the Rialto Bridge and then to St. Mark's Square. This journey will take 30- 1 hr. depending on how fast you walk and whether or not you stop to window shop.

Another way is from the port there are water buses to St. Mark's. You can buy tickets which cost 8 Euros for one way. Also your cruise ship will offer water shuttles (usually roundtrip $20 and you pay onboard the ship).

Either method is good- the water bus from the port will be very scenic and dramatic. However, one of the greatest things about Venice is just walking through all the little streets and going over the bridges. So I'd do the water bus one way and walk one way.

If you walk back to the ship- follow the signs for Piazzale Roma and then you'll see the People Mover which will take you back to the port.

Most of the fun of Venice IMO is just walking around the maze that is Venice. One fun and free thing to do is the glass blowing demonstration which in one of the shops in st. mark's square. If you are facing the Bascilica- it is on the left side of the Galleria #139.

Also at night (around dusk) they start the battle of the orchestras in St. Mark's Square. There will be two wonderful orchestras playing and people gather here. It is wonderful. If you sit in one of the chairs in the square- be prepared to buy at least one drink. You can't just sit there. Drinks will run upwards of 10 Euros a pop- even for a coke or a coffee. I personally think it is worth it to sit there and take in the wonderful atmosphere. But most people just stand on the sidelines or sit on the sidelines.

I agree with Rebecca, wandering around Venice is a delightful way to spend a day. San Marco Plaza, the cathedral and the Doge's Palace are probably the biggest tourist sights.

Which ship will you be on. We are on the Crown in October.

Your expression "time to kill" should indicate that you don't know that Venice is the most spectacular city in the World!

Buy yourself a Lonely Planet (or similar) guide to plan your stay there!

Screwcork

Worth a read as a starting point: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Venice.htm

I will be boarding for a cruise in Oct in Venice on Monday and the ship leaves Venice on Tuesday. So i've got some time to kill and can do some sightseeing. What should i do? Also how do i get around Venice from the port? Thanks for any help you can get me. Walking around and sightseeing is more my thing to do.

We suggest that the OP simply scroll back on this board or use the helpful "search" option at the top of the page to see some of the many posts about Venice. Some folks who are regular posters here get a little bored with posting the same advice several times a month or even week.

Hank

I will be boarding for a cruise in Oct in Venice on Monday and the ship leaves Venice on Tuesday. So i've got some time to kill and can do some sightseeing. What should i do?

Walk, walk, walk...get it? :D

Take the people mover to P. Roma and then just start walking to St. Marks. You will get "lost" many times and it will be great because of all the things you will see and come across that you wouldn't otherwise. You can never really get too lost since eventually you will see signs on the buildings for San Marco or Rialto.

I agree with those who recommend walking.

I would just walk and take in all that is around you. It is easy to get around and a lot of fun to walk up side streets. You will end up in little cozy areas.

Keith

Besides "walk" ( I totally agree) I would recommend to get a day pass for the ferries which will also take you to Murano ( island of glas blowing) and Burano ( don't miss it, it is lovely with all those colored little houses).

The pass is not expensive and you can also need in within Venice.

So when you get tired from walking take a boat and go somewhere else.

Just don't forget to get a good map!

And about walking: yes, go to the famous places, BUT not only! Go away from those tourist spots and have a look at "real Venice".

Plus: Get exited about starting your cruise out of Venice- on my oppinion the most beautiful place to start a cruise in Europe!

Your expression "time to kill" should indicate that you don't know that Venice is the most spectacular city in the World!

Just what I was going to say!! Great summary point by screwcork. In Venice, you are NOT "killing time", but, having a once in a lifetime chance to soak up great history, architecture, charm, culture, etc. YES! Walking around is IT!!

You might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Below are just a few of my suggestions on places to consider to see more "up close and personal". Don't miss the sail-out in Venice. Super great!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,280 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On our super scenic sail-in, this view shows the heart of Venice with the Campanile tower and its 323’ size, the St. Mark’s Cathedral domes, the Doge’s Palace, etc.:

VeniceOverallTowerDomesDoges-1.jpg

As you sailed in and out of Venice, here is one of the views up a smaller canal, with a stone bridge, people and various buildings providing that great sampling of this unique city’s charm and architecture. It is much more just a few historic buildings there. It’s all over!:

VeniceUpCanalBldgsBridge.jpg

From near the Doge’s Palace, here is the view across the main waterway to San Giorgio Maggiore, a 16th century Benedictine church built between 1566 and 1610. Also shown is a gondola and passengers in the foreground. There were eight to ten thousand gondolas during the 17th and 18th century with only about four hundred in active service today in Venice:

VeniceGondolaStMarkAcrossH2O.jpg

This is a Venice parish church called Chiesa di San Moise on Campo San Moisè. It has an elaborate Baroque facade that is covered in designs that one travel book describes as having “scrumptious icing flourishes of carved-stone ornament”. This 1660’s facade is on a church site dating back to the 9th century and that honors Moses. At the right is the modern front of the five-star Bauer Hotel that is connected with an older palazzo fronting the Grand Canal.:

VeniceChurchNearBauerHotel.jpg

From the interior of Venice’s St Mark’s on the second/upper level, here is a view that shows how much on this church is covered in these opulent, gilded Byzantine mosaics. Notice the details in the floor of this famed Basilica.:

VeniceStMarksInteriorDetails.jpg

No visit to Venice is complete without seeing the famed Rialto Bridge. It is one of the four bridges spanning the Grand Canal and is the oldest bridge across the canal. The Rialto market on the eastern bank increased traffic to the original floating bridge, replaced in 1255 by a wooden bridge. During the first half of the 15th century, two rows of shops were built along the sides of the bridge. The present stone bridge was completed in 1591. The engineering of the bridge was criticized and doubted, but it has become one of the architectural icons of Venice. We had a brief drink and snack here to watch all of the activities around this busy location.:

VeniceGrandCanelBridge.jpg

Regaerding the day pass for unlimited use of the vaporettos (these are not the same as the Alilaguna) the current cost of a 24 hours pass is 20 Euros as opposed to a single ticket (good for about an hour) that costs 7 Euros. They also sell these passes for 12, 36, 48, 72 and longer periods. The ACTV (the company that operates the vaporettos) has really moderized their ticketing procedures and you can now purchase all kinds of tickets from automated vending machines (there are a few at the Piazale Roma) as well as at a few ticket offices (there is one at the P. Roma).

Hank

We prefer to get out of the thick of the tourist area, except for an early morning visit to the Rialto market.

We enjoy a stroll on the Lido, taking a vaporetto to a random residential area and getting off and walking around, stopping at the most non touristy place we can find for lunch.

First time visitors should def research the city and choose (and prebook) they sites they wish to see IMO but I have been a number of times and not visited the places on most visitors must see list, as they are just not on mine.

Yes, but Amex will be limited and Discover about non-existent. Visa and MC will be accepted almost everywhere, although some stores may have a minimum purchase. Warning: a few years ago we tried to use a card to buy a ticket on the vaporetto or Alilaguna and they only accepted cash, not sure if that's still the case. OTOH ATM's are everywhere and give the best exchange rate.

• 2 weeks later...
Regaerding the day pass for unlimited use of the vaporettos (these are not the same as the Alilaguna) the current cost of a 24 hours pass is 20 Euros as opposed to a single ticket (good for about an hour) that costs 7 Euros. They also sell these passes for 12, 36, 48, 72 and longer periods. The ACTV (the company that operates the vaporettos) has really moderized their ticketing procedures and you can now purchase all kinds of tickets from automated vending machines (there are a few at the Piazale Roma) as well as at a few ticket offices (there is one at the P. Roma).

Hank

If you buy the tickets on the Internet a week before you arrive minimum you get a further discount. Don't bother to include the wc pass.

There are several ways to explore Venice. There is the "People Mover" at the port and you can use that. It will take you to Piazzale Roma. From there head east and you will see signs on the corners of the buildings directing you to San Marco. If you follow these signs you'll go to the Rialto Bridge and then to St. Mark's Square. This journey will take 30- 1 hr. depending on how fast you walk and whether or not you stop to window shop.

Another way is from the port there are water buses to St. Mark's. You can buy tickets which cost 8 Euros for one way. Also your cruise ship will offer water shuttles (usually roundtrip $20 and you pay onboard the ship).

When you get off the people mover at P Roma can you then get a water taxi to San Marco and how long does this take?

When you get off the people mover at P Roma can you then get a water taxi to San Marco and how long does this take?

When you get off the People Mover at Piazzale Roma you can then take the vaporetto to San Marco. The Local #1 stops at every stop and takes about and hour, the express #2 takes about 30 minutes, give or take.

• 4 weeks later...

Ahah! I thought that's what it was--but couldn't find it on that website. So I thought it was something else. Guess I never even thought about that! Then as I have looked more thoroughly Voila!!! Dumb me!

Ahah! I thought that's what it was--but couldn't find it on that website. So I thought it was something else. Guess I never even thought about that! Then as I have looked more thoroughly Voila!!! Dumb me!

You have to pay to us the restrooms in Venice. Usually about 1 euro or so a time. You are paying for someone to keep the restroom clean and provide toilet paper which is nice. My advice is if you see a "wc" sign follow it as use it as they are not that frequently available. :) You don't tip in Europe. This is a user pay fee and you are keeping someone employed.

The other option is to use museum or restaurant loos.

The wc pass allows you to pay in advance to use wc's for a certain number of times a day. It provides no useful value.

Archived