Cigar Lounge on Freedom of the seas

May sound obvious but make sure to bring a lighter ... I didn't and was searching all over for light ... Finally a super nice bartender loaned me his ... but of course when I got back to the lounge there was some others in their with lighters that I could have borrowed, but they weren't there to start my journey ... lesson learned be prepared ... Oh and I never once saw anyone selling the cigars in the lounge. But they had a limited selection and the prices were sky high.

Is cigar smoking allowed on your balcony on the Freedom? On any of RCL's ships?

No.

Only cigarette smoking is allowed on balconies.

Cigars, pipes, and anything else you can think of to smoke are not allowed.

Edited by UCF_Knight

Coolest thing ever was on a ship (can't recall name) and in the cigar bar the server light our cigars using a cedar stick as a punk and then waived the cigar until it was light. Then she gave it back to us to smoke. Way cool presentation.

Thanks, will be avoiding that area like the plague. Cigar smoke is unbearable to me, glad they have given you a place to go that is a great clublike atmosphere so that all passengers, including those inclined and uninclined to cigars, can be happy. Where else are smokers allowed to smoke? Keep in mind, I am not judging or complaining, I just want to plan accordingly. I grew up in a smoking household and since I moved out have always lived in a non smoking household but at least I understand and have watched the wild transition.

I think you are judging and complaining :-)

No problems here. FWIW, I fly so I make sure to put my cutter in my checked baggage.

ahhh yes that would be very good advice, cutter in checked bag. I will have to remember that one for the trip home as I'll probably pick up a cutter or punch in Orlando.

Cigar King you certainly chose the right screen name, if we ever are on the same cruise together I'd definitely like to meet you for a cigar!

FWIW, I prefer matches and often loan them or my cutter to others in the lounge. Not bringing them seems like the perfect conversation starter.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Same here. FAA rules don't allow lighters on board planes, plus I don't like the butane taste from a lighter with my cigar. Wooden matches are not a problem with flying. I use a "V" shaped cutter, so the blade is not as pronounced as on a standard cutter and I have had no problems flying with it in my carry on bag.

Eric

ahhh yes that would be very good advice, cutter in checked bag. I will have to remember that one for the trip home as I'll probably pick up a cutter or punch in Orlando.

Cigar King you certainly chose the right screen name, if we ever are on the same cruise together I'd definitely like to meet you for a cigar!

Sounds like a plan. I'm on the Explorer and Adventure...although I think that Adventure cruise is just under 600 days away.

Same here. FAA rules don't allow lighters on board planes, plus I don't like the butane taste from a lighter with my cigar. Wooden matches are not a problem with flying. I use a "V" shaped cutter, so the blade is not as pronounced as on a standard cutter and I have had no problems flying with it in my carry on bag.

Eric

I like the V-cut. The problem I have is also like torpedoes, and the V just doesn't cut it...so to speak. Lately I bring a pair of scissors with me, as they are able to handle a variety of cigars.

Eric

From the TSA:

Common Lighters - Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home.
I'm not sure when this went into effect.

From the TSA:

I'm not sure when this went into effect.

Yes. I'm with you both. Keep your 'precious' at home and stick to wood matches if you have them. In most cigar boxes I purchase, there is a thin cedar liner covering the top. I keep this and break it off into splinters and stow a few in my carry on. If I know I am in for a good cigar, I can throw a plank or two in my vest pocket and have it available to use for lighting rather than a direct butane flame.

FWIW, I like the V cutters as well.

Edited by Brigbound

• 2 weeks later...

This just in, the cigar lounge on Freedom is....awesome! I've spent the past two evenings there, spectacular. There is a very nice bartender in there by the name of Radu, made me feel very welcome. If you like cigars, I wouldnt hestitate to stop by on Freedom Class vessels. Infact, it kind of has me thinking of buying a NCC!

• 1 month later...

My fiance enjoyed the cigar bar last week on Freedom. He took the Cigar and Scotch pairing class and liked it a lot more than he thought he would.

For those who have been wondering, here is the current (as of the June 9, 2013 sailing) cigar menu.

DSC04936.jpg

Only jet type lighters are not allowed. I bought the colibri airline apporved container for lighters.

http://www.amazon.com/Colibri-Tranzpack-Approved-Airline-Lighter/dp/B000J0KUB0

When I bought th tranzpack it was supposed to allow jet type lighters, and I have actually carried ronson jet lighters in it and have never had a problem with tsa. However I would not risk a high end lighter with it. But Bic type lighters are allowed in carryon luggage.

I would always wait to get on the ship and buy a bic, and then I was trying to give it away at the airport and the TSA agent told me it was not prohibited for a bic typ non jet to be carried onboard so I brought it home and have never had a problem.

Agree, that I prefer jet type lighter for cigars, but when push comes to shove I will use a bic. Not a big fan of matchbook matches.

Box matches, especially if you are in the cigar lounge, work great.

From TSA site:

Strike-anywhere Matches Prohibited - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage.

To clarify, I don't like the small freebie type matchbooks.

Do you take box safety matches in carry-on? Would you please show an example? I have been taking a bic, but if I could actually take a box of safety matches I might try this for my upcoming TA.

I have been carrying a bic in my backpack without trouble. Wish we could take a real torch though. That would be best.

Do you take box safety matches in carry-on? Would you please show an example? I have been taking a bic, but if I could actually take a box of safety matches I might try this for my upcoming TA.

I don't put them in my carry on, they are on my checked luggage. Never had a problem. They're the typical box matches you get at any cigar store, they are not strike anywhere. Interesting about the TSA and matches. I wonder what the risk is for a box (or two) of matches in your checked luggage?

I don't know how matches would show up scanners. Assume the worry is for fire in event of matches rubbing together and catching fire.

I may try to take my 2 ronson jet lites in the tranzpack this fall, if they confiscate them I am out only 6 dollars, but I would still have to buy butane to refill. I may try to find a smaller box of safety matches to carry on.

Goor to know information.

The last couple of European Cruises have not had a lot of smokers in the CC when I go. I have been surprised, but several days I was the only one in there. I usually go around 4pm, it would pick up once the Diamond event got underway. I have had to search hard to find matches as well. So as mentioned earlier, I had just been buying a bic at the port of origen.