New to HAL but cruised Carnival

ManyMore

I saw that if you have cruised Carnival or Princess you will be in the Mariners club for HAL. Do they use the same number of days you have with those cruise lines towards the Mariners? I have 105 cruise days with Carnival, would this make me 3 star with HAL or just 1 star because they are just getting my foot in the door? I think it is great they do anything at all. Thanks for any help.

They do it to "get your foot in the door", as you've said. It's something relatively new. We had sailed on Princess...then HAL ever since then. Our first HAL cruise was in '07 and we didn't get credit for the Princess cruise.

It's something relatively new.
Not at all new. It might not have been well known, but I'm thinking at least 10 years. I know I had to point it out to our (now former) TA that this was mentioned on the back cover of the brochures. She was adamant this wasn't the situation, sail on one of the CCL ships and you get the 'repeater' status on the other lines - with zero days as Ruth mentioned. I finally told the owner of the agency that we wouldn't deal with her again.

Not at all new. It might not have been well known, but I'm thinking at least 10 years. I know I had to point it out to our (now former) TA that this was mentioned on the back cover of the brochures. She was adamant this wasn't the situation, sail on one of the CCL ships and you get the 'repeater' status on the other lines - with zero days as Ruth mentioned. I finally told the owner of the agency that we wouldn't deal with her again.

Well my bricks and mortar TA who has since retired knew this well - and got us the small benefits associated as we had cruise HAL then went to Princess:D then back to HAL. :) Good TA's are a blessing aren't they?

I saw that if you have cruised Carnival or Princess you will be in the Mariners club for HAL. Do they use the same number of days you have with those cruise lines towards the Mariners? I have 105 cruise days with Carnival, would this make me 3 star with HAL or just 1 star because they are just getting my foot in the door? I think it is great they do anything at all. Thanks for any help.

All you get credit for is that you have sailed under the Carnival umbrella of cruise lines, but can't count days from those cruise lines. As OP said, you start off at one 'star' with no days.

Oh Man! I was all excited ... then let down! I was hoping 2 Carnival and 2 Princess cruises would count to my "new" Mariner status! Look like they will not.

I'm generally too fickle to have much of a relationship with any one line, so I don't have "benefits" from any of them.

I hope so! I was/am a bit "concerned" as I've vowed never to cruise with Carnival again! I'd be happy to use the Carnival days for Mariner status, but I hope there is otherwise no "cross contamination"!:rolleyes:

It seems a bit misleading. If I remember correctly, at the end of your first cruise, you will have equal status, if you will, with someone who has never sailed on a CCL line. You will start with one star, but at the end of the cruise, you each will have one star and one point for each day of the cruise.

Having cruised on a Carnival before HAL will give you One-Star Mariner status on HAL. The benefits for the Mariner allows for 50% discount for 3rd/4th PAX, lunch in the MDR on embarkation as well as a few others benefits. While you may not actually have any days of status sailing on HAL, the basic benefits are nice as a starting point.

Having cruised on a Carnival before HAL will give you One-Star Mariner status on HAL. The benefits for the Mariner allows for 50% discount for 3rd/4th PAX, lunch in the MDR on embarkation as well as a few others benefits. While you may not actually have any days of status sailing on HAL, the basic benefits are nice as a starting point.

The discount for 3rd and 4th is definitely not for all sailings, but for a few select cruises each year.

This is all new to me! I have been on 1 Carnival cruise and am cruising HAL on July 29. What exactly is Mariner status and how do I let them know I cruised Carnival?:confused:

On the HAL web site, look at the top menu bar and under "Before you Go, in the drop down menu find Mariner Society. On the new page in the left hand menu, there is "look up your Mariner Number" - that opens a box where you can send an email.

I inquired - and now have a Mariner's number and 1 star, and a clear statement that ONLY HAL cruise days count for increasing the days cruised count. They do NOT count days cruised with another line -- even in their "family" of cruise lines.

On the HAL web site, look at the top menu bar and under "Before you Go, in the drop down menu find Mariner Society. On the new page in the left hand menu, there is "look up your Mariner Number" - that opens a box where you can send an email.

I inquired - and now have a Mariner's number and 1 star, and a clear statement that ONLY HAL cruise days count for increasing the days cruised count. They do NOT count days cruised with another line -- even in their "family" of cruise lines.

Do you have to have cruised with Carnival after a certain date?

Oh Man! I was all excited ... then let down! I was hoping 2 Carnival and 2 Princess cruises would count to my "new" Mariner status! Look like they will not.

I'm generally too fickle to have much of a relationship with any one line, so I don't have "benefits" from any of them.

None of the loyalty programs for the lines under the Carnival Corporation holding company (not to be confused with Carnival Cruise Lines) are combinable with the exception of P&O and Princess, which are combinable. A loyalty program is exactly that: loyalty to the cruise line, not the holding company.

If you have cruised on any of the Carnival Corporation cruise lines, you automatically get a member # in the other lines. You may or may not get a past passenger fare, depending on the cruise and/or promotion. You may or may not be invited to the past passenger brunch. I was invited on my first HAL cruise; others have reported that they weren't. This is the extent of the perks given when you've cruised on another Carnival Corporation cruise line.

We received our # that way: Sailed once on Carnival: but we were invited to MDR sail day lunch on our 1st cruise on Hal Westerdam: We sail this Dec. again on Westerdam and can't wait.

When do you get your invitation to the sail day lunch?

We've found that inviatations aren't always issued. We've only received them when on a ship with scads of Mariners. They were only given to 3 and 4 star Mariners when we checked in at the pier.

We have never received an invitation to the embarkation lunch and we are 4* mariners. We just go if we want to go:) The only time we were turned away was when we were 2 minutes late:eek:

Archived